Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Difficult neighbor.

I live in the country. There are several homes nearby. They are all on 1+acre. Mine is on 3. On my road there are 7 other homes. The stretch of road I'm talking about is 1/2 mile long. Right in the middle of that stretch is a fairly large home of maybe 3000 sq ft. I live on the corner and have been here 5 years. The home in the middle of this stretch sold and a family with several kids moved in. One of their kids is the same age as my grandson so it started off great. We have a miniature schnauzer and we walk him daily several times on this stretch. It is a peaceful road. My other option for walking him is on the other road and it is fairly dangerous with the way people fly down that road. so we have been walking our dog on a leash down this half mile stretch and back daily for 5 years. The new family that moved in probably has 4 or 5 acres. They have 2 dogs, Max and Loci. Both are approximately 50-60 lbs. Max is very aggressive. These dogs have gotten out of the fence somehow and one day when my grandson was walking our schnauzer they got out. Max bit my dog several times and terrorized my grandson. The bites were simple puncture wounds. I talked to the owners and the man said "Well, do what ya have to do ".

A week or two later the same dog bit one of my neighbors who routinely walks this area for exercise. Her husband reported it to animal control and they were required to quarantine the dog in the home for a period of time. Well today just as the wife and I were returning from visiting my buddy who had the stroke my grandson was heading down the road to walk the dog. I heard the dogs barking, my grandson yelling and I looked out to see what was up. The neighbors dogs had gotten out again and attacked my schnauzer. This time their dog did some serious damage to mine. I rushed him to the vet and he was bloody in 5 places from his jugular to his anal gland. the vet had to keep him tonight . I think he will be OK but he was pretty mangled and traumatized not to mention the terror my grandson was right in the middle of.

Animal control contacted the family and required them to bring the animal in for quarantine but after that they are going to release it back to them. They told us to produce receipts for expenses and the family would get ordered to pay restitution plus be given a citation. The vet has estimated $600 but I expect it to be a bit more.

Sorry for the long rant but I needed to vent. It was just agreat place to walk the dog and now I don't see how it will ever be the same again. Really PO D
    GETFISHED !!!

2. Member
    Is your grandson old enough to learn to use a repellent/pepper spray?
    Last edited by ST8Bugging; 11-16-2019 at 03:22 PM. Reason: Spelling
    Go Gators!

3. Banned
    Go walk your dog, only this time bring a 9mm with you. That dog comes at you or your family again, well, you know what to do.

4. Member
    Yes and it will become standard issue after today. We thought the neighbors had taken responsibility to secure their property but after today it's obvious they can't be trusted so pepper spray will be the least.
    GETFISHED !!!

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Riccochet View Post
    Go walk your dog, only this time bring a 9mm with you. That dog comes at you or your family again, well, you know what to do.
    That's my first thought too....just shoot it next time it does that. Your neighbors clearly don't care and it's unfortunate. That could be your grandson /w the wounds next time instead of the dog.

6. Member
    Yea my neighbor whose wife was bitten is the largest landowner in this little area. He was sitting on the back patio this morning after the episode with his deer rifle waiting for the dog to run across his property one more time.
    GETFISHED !!!

"Well, do what ya have to do ".

Your neighbor has already given you permission.

8. Banned
    IL >Tinley Park & Shawnee N.F. Lakes Explorer. Help..
    YOU need to walk the Dog with the grand kid. How many times you going to put that little dog and kid in Harms Way ?? Get some mailman spray(from a mailman) and some boots and maybe a walking stick. Do what needs to be done to protect your grandchild and pet. When I sprayed that dog, I would give the dog a good dose. if the neighbors talks to you, say I bought a bunch of bottles,I am glad the spray worked because I was going to use this - and pat on your hostler with your hand. I'm tired of this Shit-It ain't going to happen any more. Don't Let that New Neighbor Bully You.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Basscaster View Post
    YOU need to walk the Dog with the grand kid. How many times you going to put that little dog and kid in Harms Way ?? Get some mailman spray(from a mailman) and some boots and maybe a walking stick. Do what needs to be done to protect your grandchild and pet. When I sprayed that dog, I would give the dog a good dose. if the neighbors talks to you, say I bought a bunch of bottles,I am glad the spray worked because I was going to use this - and pat on your hostler with your hand. I'm tired of this Shit-It ain't going to happen any more.
    I thought after the first incident that we had responsible neighbors who would take care of it. We will be armed going forward.
    GETFISHED !!!

10. Member
    I told a guy that had an aggressive dog that i hunt and dont miss out to 300 yds! he got the hint real quick that i didnt care!

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by getfished View Post
    I thought after the first incident that we had responsible neighbors who would take care of it. We will be armed going forward.
    There you go, problem solved. The only thing is an angry dog can be a little hard to stop. I would prefer a shotgun. You don't want a wounded vicious dog.

12. Member
    Sounds like the neighbors have left you no choice. Can not let the dog continue to do this to your dog and possible grandson

13. Banned
    Good choice, they obviously don’t care so handle it with lead.

Do you have coyotes in your area? If I lived in the country I'd always be walking the dog armed.

15. Member
    Bad situation for sure. I told a lady the other day in our neighborhood that if her two pit bulls came after my dog again I would kill them. I haven't had any issues since. I was pushing my grand daughter in a stroller and had my small dog on a leash. These two young pit bulls came running toward us and bit my dog. I was protecting my grand daughter and the dogs, which were hooked together by some kind of leash, got hung on a mailbox. otherwise it could have got bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Riccochet View Post
    +1...I love dogs and people...but I hate irresponsible people who don’t care. Do what you have to do..but for Gods sake be careful.

17. Member
    go over to the hood and borrow somebody pit bull and walk him by his house,just kidding

18. Banned
    Before you shoot the dog call the sheriff's department have them come out and file a complaint.See if they can handle this first.

Quote Originally Posted by buster502 View Post
    go over to the hood and borrow somebody pit bull and walk him by his house,just kidding
    Guy about 7 houses away used to let his Doberman run loose. I told him if it ran inside the invisible fence at my place and one of my dogs catches it —— it won’t be pretty. He laughed and told me “ you must not know anything about Dobermans” after his Doberman got chewed up, he must have kept it in there yard, never saw it again.

20. Member
    So maybe im naive but how is this dog still walking. I would have thought that there would be laws that say if your dog attacks someone or something more than once its lights out.

I get that there could be accidents etc. But 3 accidents ????

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast