Angry Loose arrow nock cost me a doe

Had a doe within 10yds this morning. I shot and saw my arrow fly really crazy. Looked down and my nock was on my string. Fortunately it only gave her a slight haircut across the brisket and not a gut shot. I got down and found my arrow broken in two. I grabbed another from the quiver and pulled on it and the nock slid right out. I guess it was the cold weather?? These are Easton Aftermath arrows. I know not the best but not terrible either. Anyone else have this issue? Ideas how to fix the problem?

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RoadrashPaul View Post
    Had a doe within 10yds this morning. I shot and saw my arrow fly really crazy. Looked down and my nock was on my string. Fortunately it only gave her a slight haircut across the brisket and not a gut shot. I got down and found my arrow broken in two. I grabbed another from the quiver and pulled on it and the nock slid right out. I guess it was the cold weather?? These are Easton Aftermath arrows. I know not the best but not terrible either. Anyone else have this issue? Ideas how to fix the problem?
    I use Blackout arrows and haven’t had that issue. As far as fix, get you some adhesive and glue them in. Of course will have to make sure everything is lined up and just let is sit

3. Member
    I was target practicing with my bow once, just a couple days before leaving on an Ontario bear hunt. I pulled back, took aim, and let it fly. Well, you would have thought the bow blew up. The string and cables were off the wheels and other various parts were either off the bow or broken. Couldn't figure what happened. Finally looked at the arrow and saw that the nock was broken off on one side. It appeared that the arrow fell off of the string and I dry fired the bow. This was in the evening. I called up the closest archery shop and they said bring it in. Fortunately (or unfortunately) they replaced the string and cables and other than some readjusting of sights and putting vibration dampeners back into the slots everything was OK.
    I would check the nocks. It appears that they may not be the right size for the shafts that you are using.

Never heard of a loose nock in the cold.
    2017 Ranger Z520c "Blackout Edition"
    2017 Mercury Optimax ProXS 250
    HB Solix 12 G3 MSI+, Solix 12 G2 MSI+, Solix G2 MDI+, Solix 12 2d/gps, Ultrex Mega360, Mega Live
    NRA Life Member
    -Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour-

5. Member
    I dont like to glue in my nocks, in case I need to turn them for some tuning or fletching contact issue. I would reserve the string with a smaller diameter serving material. Never had a nock pull out of an arrow, but have had a couple break on firing them. As Sunny Jim said it will get your attention real quick.

6. Moderator
    Thanks guys. Looking on line this is more common than I would have thought. I ended up using a suggestion I saw on several sites. I took a plastic grocery bag and pushed the nock in with the bag around it. Then I trimmed off the excess and singed the edges with a lighter. Seems to have worked perfect and I can still twist to align if needed. Going back out this weekend to redeem myself hopefully.