Chris Bailey Foil on V8 Mercury 4-Stroke?

Howdy,

Does anyone have any experience with putting a Chris Bailey foil on a new V8 4-Stroke? I'm curious to see what the performance impact is on these newer motors.

I currently have a new Verado 300 and while I am not lacking in holeshot, the added benefits of slow speed planing are still of interest to me, as would going up in pitch and compensating for it with a foil.

Any isights would be appreciated.

Take care,

Ruddiger

2. Member
    It's my understanding that the thicker cavitation plate has some shift controls inside of it. May make mounting a foil a bit of a problem.
    2020 Allison XB 21
    Merc 300R
    2018-SST Bullet
    Merc 300R
    Bullet 20XD
    300XS DBR

It helped my 300R. The thicker cav plates are hollow and only on the R with sportsmaster. The Verado 300 should have the standard cav plate so the mounting is the same as we have always seen.

Merc did put out a tech bulletin about this. I believe it states they are not allowed. Just an FYI.
    Allison XB21 2+2
    Mercury 300R

4. Member
    That makes since. It was a 300R with a sport master that I was looking at and talking about.
    2020 Allison XB 21
    Merc 300R
    2018-SST Bullet
    Merc 300R
    Bullet 20XD
    300XS DBR

5. Member
    If this helps. I can tell you for a fact it helped my 2006 Norris Craft 21.5 with a 250xs sportmaster greatly. Hole shot was instant & slow speed planning was the best.

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Just be careful- and be sure to read the Warranty section of your Engine Owner's Manual (specifically exclusions).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor