Hot ponds, how risky?

Never been, not sure where. What is the risk? How to do safely? With high water, less risky? Thanks.

Wind direction has a lot to do with depth... If you dont know where to run with a west wind, You can do great damage to your rig. There are not many people out there this time of year to help if something bad happens... It's dangerous.

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

3. Member
    If you don’t do something stupid like running on plane in a dangerous area you don’t know, then it’s perfectly safe. Idle in towards the entrance and when you get to less than five feet of water, put the trolling motor down and find the deeper gap in the sand bar.

4. Member
    Thanks guys. Watching the weather a picking my day.

Quote Originally Posted by piketroller View Post
    If you don’t do something stupid like running on plane in a dangerous area you don’t know, then it’s perfectly safe. Idle in towards the entrance and when you get to less than five feet of water, put the trolling motor down and find the deeper gap in the sand bar.
    ^^^^This. I have no troubles and I'm a bafoon, It's not bad just have to be smart.
    Bad spellers of the world untie!

Hmmm I have fished there for years.... I have seen many boats torn up right before my eyes... MANY!

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 21XDC View Post
    Hmmm I have fished there for years.... I have seen many boats torn up right before my eyes... MANY!
    What some people don’t realize is the lakefront on the south side going into the Edison or hotponds as some call it use to be land and a point extending out into the lake. I know this because in the mid 70’s I started duck hunting there and we use to motor out from Dunbar rd out into the lake. All the high water and waves washed a lot of it away. There are a lot of rocks out there and if your not careful as 21 XDC has stated, you will be buying a new lower unit.

Mike is right. Don't take it for granted and ruin your prop. My suggestion is make the long run out watching your depth and go across till you line up with the opening of the hotpond. Then head in that way. Much safer! If you cut across and your out a little too far or a little too close. You could be in serious trouble.

I had buddies that were in there yesterday and never caught a bass in 3 hours. They hit one of Mike's favorite spots after that and lit them up further up the lake. Place was on fire! lol You just never know with these bass. They had one other bass boat in there with them. Mike was that you?

Three walleye guys sunk their boat on a poorly marked gill net out of Bolles last week. The net is further out and south than a normal hot pond run, but be careful. Not sure where else this guy has his nets this year.

[/url]

[/url]
    Last edited by Hollada; 11-18-2019 at 07:09 AM.

2019 Basscat Caracal
    225 Evinrude G2
    Solix 12 Mega SI bow and console
    Mega Live
    36V Ultrex

Quote Originally Posted by bigbass201 View Post
    Mike is right. Don't take it for granted and ruin your prop. My suggestion is make the long run out watching your depth and go across till you line up with the opening of the hotpond. Then head in that way. Much safer! If you cut across and your out a little too far or a little too close. You could be in serious trouble.

I had buddies that were in there yesterday and never caught a bass in 3 hours. They hit one of Mike's favorite spots after that and lit them up further up the lake. Place was on fire! lol You just never know with these bass. They had one other bass boat in there with them. Mike was that you?
    I wish it was me. No fishing this weekend.

Sorry to hear that. Jim was with my buddy Kevin and they lit them up. He didn't do any filming on this trip so it will have to be left to your imagination. lol I'm sure they will still be in there Mike. They were in there last year too.

They always are.. But it cant handle too much pressure and not big enough for more than 2 boats.... I hope he doesnt do a video as it wont help.

FYI - post from a FB walleye Page today....

Sorry to bring this up again as it’s a sensitive subject,, but wanted to share for safety reasons. I fished out of Bolles on Monday and encountered the net boat placing more nets in the area.

The one net that was reported is still there, about ½ mile out past the last set of buoys. It is now marked with red flags on each end now, little white markers showing top of net. There is now another one in front of the Mansion, running from about 16 ft deep and towards shore, marked with same red flags on each end. I also saw him putting a net in the water further south between the Mansion and TB Marina area, but didn’t get too close to see where exactly.

Just be careful if you go out of Bolles, looks like they plan on operating in that area for a while.

2019 Basscat Caracal
    225 Evinrude G2
    Solix 12 Mega SI bow and console
    Mega Live
    36V Ultrex

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 21XDC View Post
    They always are.. But it cant handle too much pressure and not big enough for more than 2 boats.... I hope he doesnt do a video as it wont help.
    Ding,ding,ding. Not too hard to figure out where he's at... that's why Facebook is the devil when it comes to posting pictures...