Jacking Trailer up for winter?

Is it necessary to Jack the Trailer up to get the tires off the ground for winter?

I live in Connecticut,

I have a brand new dual axle trailer and the trailer sits out in the yard from mid November to mid March. It has the Vault type bearing w/ four disk brakes.

My old trailer was a single axle & I use to jack it up, take the tires/drums/brakes off for the winter and clean and repack bearings during the winter months.

Whats the best way to jack up a dual axle?

thx
    Ed

2. Member
    I would think it’s a good idea to jack it up. I done mine this evening. I used a small floor jack and 4 small jack stands I got from auto zone. Took 5 minutes.

Necessary? No

decent idea? Maybe

i just roll my boat forwards and backwards a couple times a winter
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

I think it is worth it. I had a set of tires get what I have called a flat spot on the tires a few years back. Just from sitting in one spot. I used to just winterize it, back it next to the garage and plug it in once a month. But a couple of years back I got flat spots on all 4 tires. They didn't go all the way down. Just a little flat. The first time out that year I went straight to the gas station and put air in them. It took a bit for the tires to really round up. The last 5+ years I have been jacking it up and I put stacked 4 X 4's under the frame. Just enough to get it off the ground an inch or two. Haven't had an issue since then.
    Ranger Z-20, Yamaha F225.

5. Member
    Where do i put the jack stands on a single axle trailer? under the axle near each tire or under the frame on each side near a tire?
    2022 Tracker PT 195 TXW
    Mercury Pro XS 150hp Four stroke
    Minn Kota Terrova 55 TM 12 volt
    Garmin Echomap 73sv on Console
    Garmin Echomap UHD 93sv on bow
    Garmin Livescope GLS 10

6. Member
    Under the axle. As close to the wheel as you can. Make sure it’s stable. Mine is on a slab. If yours isn’t, you may need something under the jack stands to keep them from shifting/sinking

7. Member
    Thanks Shuck Grass. It's a garage floor so it'll be stable.
    2022 Tracker PT 195 TXW
    Mercury Pro XS 150hp Four stroke
    Minn Kota Terrova 55 TM 12 volt
    Garmin Echomap 73sv on Console
    Garmin Echomap UHD 93sv on bow
    Garmin Livescope GLS 10

I put my stands on the frame it takes the weight off the springs. Not sure if it's better or not but that's what I've been doing for ever.

I'm in PA and I've never put my trailer on jacks. The tires do get a little flat spot that I can feel when I pull it for the first time in the spring but it's gone before I go a mile.

Tom

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TomM View Post
    I'm in PA and I've never put my trailer on jacks. The tires do get a little flat spot that I can feel when I pull it for the first time in the spring but it's gone before I go a mile.

Tom
    +1

40 years I have never jacked mine up. Sits in the shop from Nov.— March So far no problems.