Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    For those of you that fill the spool and add backing later, why not just add backing to begin with? Never have to change it out. When the braid or flouro goes bad just cut it at the backing and add more.

2. Member
    Who on earth would fill a spool then try to add any kind of backing?

Quote Originally Posted by QUAKEnSHAKE View Post
    When the braid is getting low
    tie on backing reel it on til full spool
    then take backing off
    take braid off
    put backing on
    put braid on now back to full spool

I use a 3000rpm drill with spool attatchment makes quick work of things.
    Call me lazy but to me that's alot of unnecessary steps. Why not start with your backing, leaving it on the reel and just add braid as you need it?

4. Member
    Braid for backing on all casting. Mono for spinning.
    2006 Stratos 294 Pro XL.2005 Yamaha 200 VMAX 3.1L. 8" Hydro Dynamics Rapid Jack. Ultrex 112 I-Plot link. 2 Helix 10 Chirp Mega SI GPS G2N.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wareagle24 View Post
    Call me lazy but to me that's alot of unnecessary steps. Why not start with your backing, leaving it on the reel and just add braid as you need it?
    Will waste a lot of line that way.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by buzzzzbait88 View Post
    For those of you that fill the spool and add backing later, why not just add backing to begin with? Never have to change it out. When the braid or flouro goes bad just cut it at the backing and add more.
    Will waste a lot of line that way. What happens when the braid gets too low for a full cast?

Will waste a lot of line that way. What happens when the braid gets too low for a full cast?
    Probably can afford to 86 the old braid after 4-5 years. My rods with FC usually go two years or more...then I replace it with copolymer, likely P-line CXX.
    Don't bother me, I'm screwing for virginity.

I killed a 12-pack just to watch it die.

8. Member
    I pull it off retie on new and fill the spool. By the time I need to do that, I've already spooled it on to another reel to utilize the good line on the bottom and everything in between is faded and bad anyway.

9. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Danbleume View Post
    for years and years....usually `6lb test so it lays smooth.

I got a bunch of this in both 8# and 10# so I can also use it for Topwater Sammy™ It is great line at a great price...

https://www.outdoorproshop.com/Sunli...-supermono.htm

Remember when using Braid, when You think it has had it's run, turn it around and get some more life out of it. (run it through Your fingers to provide tension and to also detect any frays/nicks)

10. Im wishin I was fishin
    I use a line counter I leave mono backing and put braid or floro on 50 yards at a time.

11. Member
    I use cheap mono for backing. Filling spools full is just a waste...unless you can cast 100 yards. Unlike many guys..I cannot cast 100 yards!

Quote Originally Posted by Walkabout7781 View Post
    I have thought about making cork, balsa, or plastic donuts to take up some of the reel capacity. Just not sure quite how to do it on my lathe. Has anybody ever manufactured such an item for sale?
    Abu Garcia in the 70's sold a spool arbor with each of their top of the line Ambassadeur reels. The 5000C came with one. They were made of clear plastic like a tube that spit down the center and had pins and holes that held the two halves together. You closed the two halves around the center of the spool and it took up about 2/3 of the spool depth. The fit exactly matched the spool so line could not slip between the arbor ends and the sides of the spool. So point is a arbor will be spool specific and will have to match exactly to prevent line issues.

13. Member
    Cheapest mono backing I can find.
    2017 Phoenix 618Pro

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by buzzzzbait88 View Post
    I pull it off retie on new and fill the spool. By the time I need to do that, I've already spooled it on to another reel to utilize the good line on the bottom and everything in between is faded and bad anyway.
    So you waste more line.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12