Tilt ram sag/bleed down issue

Motor is a 2012 ProXS 225 HP. serial number 1B883693.

i noticed recently that if i tilt my motor up to where it is not on the trim rams, that it will sag down overnight until it rests on the trim rams. I don’t recall this being the case in the past, but it appears to function normally other than that and I don’t notice any leaks when it happens.

anything that I can check or service on the system? Seems like there might be air in there but not sure how to check.

Brett Graham
    Louisville, KY
    L\'raisin Anglers

2. Member
    Check the trm relief screw for tightness.

3. Member
    I just had this problem. It ended up being the relief screw/assy. It was tight but evidently the orings wore out. The funny thing is mine is a 2012 as well.
    Roger Jenks Jr
    2021 Bass Cat Lynx
    250 Pro xs 4S Serial # 3B010758

4. Member
    Thanks fpr the advice. Did yours leak trim fluid with the bad oring? Hoe did you check that?

Brett Graham
    Louisville, KY
    L\'raisin Anglers

5. Member
    Mine did not leak fluid. Although it has a couple of times when really cold, below 25 degrees or so would drip a drop. I also noticed there was some seeping at the pivot pin. I think that is what they call it. I did replace that as well. But that had nothing to do with the leaking down.
    Roger Jenks Jr
    2021 Bass Cat Lynx

6. Member
    Sorry I did not answer your other question. As far as diagnosis I took it to a local hydraulic shop and they rebuilt all three cylinders and that did not correct the problem. I then put a post on here and Don commented that it may be the relief screw/assy. I got one and had the hydraulic shop put it in and problem was solved. A bit of advise I would not take to a local hydraulic shop because I think they do not use the right size orings. I later had 1 of the rebuilt cylinders blow out. I then took it to my mercury mechanic.
    Roger Jenks Jr
    2021 Bass Cat Lynx

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    The two most common causes are a loose Relief Screw, or damaged screw/o-rings.

The relief screw is sold as a complete assembly, and is relatively simple to replace, should you choose to do so. See Rhonda's post (at the top of the Forum) if you need to order parts.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor