Thread: Just like on TV

Just like on TV

Story time:
    Went back to my old stomping grounds this morning where I hung a stand last month. Beautiful morning although I saw fewer small woodland creatures than opening day 2 weeks ago. The entire area was tracked-up by deer, turkeys, rabbits, partridge, porcupine, fisher, etc so I had high hopes of seeing some wildlife. Told the wife I'm trophy hunting and have no plans to tag a deer.

At 6:40 a large deer slipped by on the fringe of what I could see and I couldn't get the scope on him. Grunted to him but no response. Waited 40 minutes and rattled for a minute. I heard something circling behind me but couldn't see anything. Then there was a commotion and what sounded like a woodpecker tearing into a tree when he stopped to scrape and also beat up a cherry tree.
    IMG_20191115_092845229_HDR.jpg

Finally he stepped out into an opening 60-70 yds to my right. I could see it wasn't a big deer so I didn't even turn or raise the rifle. But he kept coming, acting like a riled-up bully just exactly like they do on the hunting shows. About 15 yds out I noticed he had 5 points on the near side and couldn't recall the last time I passed on a wide-racked 10 point so I eased the rifle up, gave thanks for the silent safety on a Model 700, and squeezed when he was passing directly in front of me at 8 yds.

He turned, tucked his tail, and scrambled back the way he came without the normal grace of a bounding whitetail. A minute later came the thrashing sounds of a downed deer. Then all was quiet. I was wrong about the points. He's missing a brow tine on one side so it's only 9 but I was right about the size. He's like a Texas deer that was transplanted to Maine cause he only weighed 160. Pretty exciting hunt though. Whether it was the same deer that got by me early I have no idea but I wouldn't be surprised if it was.
    IMG_20191115_082748455.jpg

2. Member
    Congrats!! Great buck!!

3. Member
    Nice buck!
    War Eagle Blackhawk 2170 - Suzuki 150, MG Xi5
    Lowrance HDS 7" & 9" - Twin Talon 12' Anchors

4. Panfish Forum Moderator SOONER*REDNECK's Avatar
    Fisher 1710C - Mercury 60 Horse 4 stroke
    **Crappie Fishing Fool**

Nice buck ! Congratualtions !!

6. Banned
    Congrats on a really nice buck!!

Great deer and story. Thanks for sharing.

Great buck

9. Member
    Great hunt... sounds like a fun hunt.. Congrats!!

10. Hunting & Gun Lodge Moderator Roddy's Avatar
    Sounds like a fun hunt
    SIMMONS CUSTOM BOATS
    Anderson Services LLC
    " Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't"

Bring Back Gluten!!!