Thread: Terrova on a Z7

Question Terrova on a Z7

Was looking for some input. I'm thinking about buying a Terrova over the winter for my 2011 Z7. 1st, do any of you have experience with the Terrova, good or bad? 2nd, does it require buying a sliding mount/bracket? I hear they have to sit out a little further because of a clearance issue, but then they hit the roller eye when launching or putting it back on the trailer? Appreciate any help, thank you.

I ran a terrova on a sliding plate on my z8, I never slid it back for the ramp and only touched 1 time. I did it so I could swap fortrex and terrova depending if I was fishing shoreline or offshore. I felt like such a BA back in the day with spot lock years before the rest of you haha. Side note my 250 z8 is .6mph faster with terrova than my fortrex and .8 faster than my new ultrex. They weigh that much less and have better wind resistance. I used a plastic mider box to rest in my recess and make the pedal flat. And inside the mider box I neatly stored all the 25' foot pedal cord.
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

3. Dogfish_Jones
    I have a Terrova on my 2015 Z7. 80lp thrust, 45” shaft.
    It is hard to put in the water without it hitting your trailer front roller. I have already cracked the side plate on mine. I would highly recommend a slide plate.
    If you have been using a cable driver TM before there is some break in adjustments you will go through. At first I was ready to sell mine and get a Fortex but I really loved the Spot Lock. I built me a platform to go into my recess tray and lifted the Terrova foot pedal almost level with the casting deck which helped a lot.
    The 80lp thrust is perfect for a Z7 in my opinion. If I keep it on auto I usually keep the speed around 2 or 3 and that works great for me. If you are in some stronger current you have the power to go up to 10 and that is enough to maintain where you want to fish. In calm water setting it on 10 will get you from one point to another in quick fashion.

Thank you guys for the replys. Just curious about your graphs at the bow, was there any issues with running the ducer cable up the shaft?

It isn't ideal and harder than a fortrex style. If it's a thin ducer cable and you don't use the lift assist it can get glued in the channel. Doug varhnberg has a video from years ago showing so. Or cornfield crappie has some options
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

6. Dogfish_Jones
    I bought the Cornfield Crappie brackets and line coil. It will do okay but it does get somewhat tangled up. I finally took mine off. I just go with the sonar imaging now. If you get the sonar 2 built in transducer you will be fine anyways. My Terrova only had the Sonar head built in. I’m always buying something just before the fix is built into them...arghhhhhhh.