Z175 owners ~ ~ Talk to me !

Been without a boat for a while now and am seriously considering the Z175. I am in Texas and we do get some wind here from time to time. I'm not a tournament fisherman, and I have enough sense to know when to go out and when to stay on terra firma.

So ~~~ What do you think of your Z175 and it's ability to handle a little rough water if you need to? Overall fishability? Storage? General build quality?

Thanks for the info !!!!!

2. Member
    I have the Z117 (2013 model). Similar footprint overall, but slight differences. I’ll reserve specifics for actual Z175 owners. Mine does alright in rough weather, but not great. I fish Okeechobee, Kissimmee, and the rest you’d expect. Not fun with winds over 15 mph, but handles alright.

Storage and tackle is decent for one guy and a partner traveling light. I run it with a CB foil and a 19p Trophy. With two power poles and tourney gear, I get max 51mph, but normally 47-49. Fish ability is good and it fits my needs. I got it brand new in Oct 2013 and haven’t felt a big need to go bigger (garage fit is awesome and easy).

Let me know if you have any other questions. Thanks.

Thank you for the input. Trying to decide between the Z175 and Z185. I'd prefer (obviously) to save the money difference but not at the cost of safety.

4. Member
    Yeah, I hear ya. You’ll gain a little bit of safety with each foot you get, but probably not night and day differences until you’re in a z520.

5. Member
    I have fished out of a 117, and I owned a 2018 z185, I felt like there was a pretty big difference between the two. I really liked my z185. To me the foot longer and 35 extra horse power makes a big difference.
    Last edited by coloblt; 11-15-2019 at 07:49 PM. Reason: Spelling

6. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Udee2159 View Post
    You’ll gain a little bit of safety with each foot you get, but probably not night and day differences until you’re in a z520.
    Succinctly put [see above]. And I agree. I will also say this, though: for $4800 more, if the Z185 is significantly better riding, etc., that’s not a bad price differential. In the bigger boats, there’s $10k or more difference every time you add a foot and a bigger engine.
    Last edited by jc2bg; 11-15-2019 at 07:54 PM.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

7. Member
    Resale will be better with the 185.

8. Member
    When looking for my first Ranger I was set on the Z175, drove four hours with cash in my pocket to buy one I had my heart set on. During the test drive, too me, it just felt small. I was coming out of a 16’ Alumacraft and it just was missing something. I drove home without the boat and started searching over again. I found a 185VS for a couple grand more and pulled the trigger. Long story short, as long as your garage, tow vehicle, and wallet can spend a couple thousand more....I would go Z185/118. Like others have said, larger motor, better resale, and a very good platform for most people and most conditions. The 175 is a great boat, the extra foot offers a lot.
    2019 Ford F-150 Platinum (3.5EcoBoost/10spd)
    **Listed FOR SALE**2014 Ranger Z119C w/ Evinrude ETEC 225HO Running Croxton’s Razor 4XL 25P
    Helix 12 Mega G2N’s with Ultrex
    Think like a fish, no matter how weird it gets

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteboat View Post
    Resale will be better with the 185.

My wife will have to deal with that. This boat will last me until I die.

I fished out of a 2015 Z117 for 3 yrs, great smaller boat, but as others stated 17 foot on big water can get hairy, Last year I moved to a 2019 z518 same size as 185 and absolutely love it, they ride is awesome, huge front deck and storage and i dont get beat up in it. drive both before you pull the trigger.

2019 RANGER Z518 - Mercury ProXS 150 4 Stroke

·...¸><((((º>
    .··´¯`·.¸.·><((((º>
    ·.¸.·´¯`·...¸.·><((((º>

11. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Hair Jig View Post
    My wife will have to deal with that. This boat will last me until I die.
    If this is the plan, look around for a year old "hold over" and get the 518

I have the 178 which is a couple inches bigger than the 175. I have never had issues with safety. I got caught on okeechobee with a small craft advisory (was at the shoal and had to go back to okeetanee) , was it hairy? you bet! But just take it slow and you'll be alright. Lots of boats even 20 ft class boat were going slow. That tourney had 2 boats sink that day. Like you said your not a tourney fisherman. Pick and choose your fishing days and you will never have a problem with the 175.
    2008 Ranger 178VX
    150 Yamaha V-max

GO Fins!!!

13. Member
    185 or 518 if this boat will be the last boat you own.

14. Banned
    I had a triton tr176 with 115 opti. Was a great little boat but very small, I then went to a deeper v tin in a 17.5 footer and hadd tons of space but lacked storage. I missed the bass boat layout and picked up a z118 and couldn't be happier. It is way bigger then the triton was but only like 1 1/2 longer but wider. I think you be much happier with z185 or z518, go with the single console, I hade dual and wish I had single.