Blown 2011 225 SHO - any value ?

So my 2011 225 SHO is a goner @ 376 hours w/ “multiple definitive cracks in the starboard cylinder head near the #3 cylinder” & I’ve decided to simply re-power with a new SHO - insurance may help but that is too be seen. A new powerhead (& lower unit which sustained some damage recently) w/ a one (1) year warranty vs a brand new 225 SHO @ 18.5k with six (6) years of warranty (current Fall Promotion) was about 3.5k difference in total cost which was the deciding factor. Yamaha was involved in the PH failure diagnosis and confirmed that they will not be helping out in any way.

So that said the dealer offered me some labor credit for the old engine (1k ish) or will crate it for a month while I try to sell it …. he did say selling it would be the more sensible / profitable route as it has "lots of good parts” and should be worth "2.5k" .

Anybody got any thoughts on what I should do ?

Thanks
    Last edited by BassinLA13; 11-15-2019 at 03:40 PM.
    2024 Z520R / 2022 250 ProXS

2. Member
    Why did the head crack? I’d replace that and then sell running if you could.
    Lake&Bay Boca
    SHO

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ClarkBird View Post
    Why did the head crack? I’d replace that and then sell running if you could.
    There were several Overheat alarms (which I didn't see or hear) and a Low Pressure alarm (which I did hear) right before the white smoke & latte oil started - mechanic said it was due to overheat though. However there seems to be a lot of bad early SHO's and it's already had 2 new powerheads ... so overheat or bad engine design etc it failed catastrophically.

I also don't have the 12K to do just the head ... and even if I did I may not get that back on a resell.

4. Member
    Not the power head, replace the starboard head itself.
    Lake&Bay Boca
    SHO

5. Member
    A while ago, BassCat was looking for a blown SHO, check with them.

6. Member
    My 2011 SHO just let go. Very disappointing. Very well maintained and low hours. No alarms (visual or auditable). Waiting on Yamaha to say if they will help with the replacement. Just out of curiosity, is this a common failure with this motor?

7. Member
    I had a 2014 250 SHO with 200 hours that had cracked heads. No alarms or issues until I noticed a puddle of crankcase oil under it. Yamaha put on a complete new power head, it was still under warranty.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by James Hill View Post
    My 2011 SHO just let go. Very disappointing. Very well maintained and low hours. No alarms (visual or auditable). Waiting on Yamaha to say if they will help with the replacement. Just out of curiosity, is this a common failure with this motor?
    I might be the wrong guy to ask as mine just blew up ... but what I didn't note above was that the motor ALREADY had a new powerhead @ 2015 (Yamaha paid for etc) and was also very well maintained ... I was running across Clear Lake and the oil alarm went off. The rest is history.

So yeah I do think the early SHO's have inherent mechanical issues (and maybe not just with the powerhead ... cooling too ??). That said a lot of High Performance outboard motors have issues - not just Yammy's.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by James Hill View Post
    Yes! Call Yamaha and mention the replacement program for power heads. They will do their best to brush you off but push back. Can't say it will work for you but my brother got his 2011 out of warranty replaced at no cost from Yamaha.
    2021 Skeeter ZX225
    2021 Yamaha SHO 225 VF225LA