Thread: Padded deck

Padded deck

Just curious if anyone has purchased foam for padding a deck from McMaster Carr? What thickness do you recommend?

1/4". Google closed cell padding. Lots of choices, much cheaper. Closed cell lets the water run off and doesn't absorb as fast. Open cell dries fast but allow the foam to be saturated quickly. Open is used in a lot of outdoor furniture seating. I did my front & rear decks in less than half what it would have cost from of lot "marine" people. Can't believe the difference in comfort with the padding. Anyway, your choice, your money.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tracer1 View Post
    1/4". Google closed cell padding. Lots of choices, much cheaper. Closed cell lets the water run off and doesn't absorb as fast. Open cell dries fast but allow the foam to be saturated quickly. Open is used in a lot of outdoor furniture seating. I did my front & rear decks in less than half what it would have cost from of lot "marine" people. Can't believe the difference in comfort with the padding. Anyway, your choice, your money.
    pretty much advice I’m looking for. Appreciate it!

3/8". As noted, closed cell foam. Easily and relatively inexpensive to buy wherever you get carpet. It's an "upgrade" padding popular for households with kids (spilling stuff). I ordered stuff special the first time on internet after doing research and had to wait 3 weeks for them to finally send it. Find out later at local Menard's that I could have bought enough to do the whole boat for what I paid for that chunk to do just the bow... Been getting it there ever since.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    3/8". As noted, closed cell foam. Easily and relatively inexpensive to buy wherever you get carpet. It's an "upgrade" padding popular for households with kids (spilling stuff). I ordered stuff special the first time on internet after doing research and had to wait 3 weeks for them to finally send it. Find out later at local Menard's that I could have bought enough to do the whole boat for what I paid for that chunk to do just the bow... Been getting it there ever since.
    I used 1/4" but I guess it personal preference, 1/4" & 24oz carpet worked very well. I ordered mine on line. Took 3 days to get it, was less than half what all these other places wanted. Don't like to mention names but all are well known on here & on line. Sounds like you ordered from the wrong place. I know guys that have even gotten closed cell (foam) padding from a lot of places, even Home Depot & Lowes. Even they were cheaper than these well known vendors. Just saying, personal preference.