G3 ultra maps on 93sv plus

Hey guys, I've been doing a bit of digging as I would like to upgrade to the g3 ultra maps on my echomap plus 93 units... but I'm a bit confused, should I purchase the physical chip or go through active captain? I don't want to lose active captain and pull my 32gb sd cards already in the units. Would going through active captain simply send the data to the existing chips? Is there enough internal storage to update the maps and keep my sd cards? I guess I'm generally just confused by the process of updating my maps...

2. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    For the 93 Plus, there wont be any room on the internal storage. I did mine thru the PC on SD card but at that time it downloaded the WHOLE U.S. i believe and really slowed down the unit.....in fact i dont even use it and just save a copy of the file on PC. If i'm correct, some of the guys used AC to download only what they needed, in other words if they only fished lakes in Texas they just did that state.....now can you continue to download other areas after the fact, not sure......someone with more knowledge would have to chime in or give Garmin a call.
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

3. Member
    So from the looks of things, I can get the physical map card, register it to my account and the maps will be available for download in my active captain app... then uploaded to my units in smaller chunks... from my understanding anyways

4. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    Sort of....i'd have to go back and look at previous post but almost positive that you can download the file direct to your current AC card.......of course as long as the card is large enough (file size; 32 GB max)
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

5. Member
    Running 32's in both units, so hopefully space isn't too bad, outside of tournaments I don't fish outside of 2 counties much, so my hope is just download the lakes I need not the entire freaking midwest.

6. Member
    Be aware, External Map cards will drag your unit down, especially when the unit is starting up, by at least 30%.

Sorry Garmin and Garmin Pros, unless you fix G2 units by moving G3 map into internal, I’ll keep this message everywhere.
    Last edited by BassTracker175; 11-24-2019 at 09:47 PM.

7. Member
    do not update maps into internal storage, this could let you unit in trouble to get any software updates!
    Tangrine Orange Key 16604126S1

8. Member
    What issues? All determined by Garmin.

If there were a larger population of users, I believe all these had been taken care of by people on internet. Like how they do with road GPS navigators.

Quote Originally Posted by canon View Post
    do not update maps into internal storage, this could let you unit in trouble to get any software updates!
    Last edited by BassTracker175; 11-25-2019 at 02:39 PM.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BassTracker175 View Post
    What issues? All determined by Garmin.

If there were a larger population of users, I believe all these had been taken care of by people on internet. Like how they do with road GPS navigators.
    update G3 map into internal storage will use up all internal storage leave not enough room for further software update, that is the issue. it happened to me for new purchased 95sv a year ago and ended up to replace the unit by Garmin but a refurb one, not a good thing though.

10. Member
    They claimed the headunits were exactly the same, including internal storage.

So you tried to hack push G3 Lake maps into a 95sv?

Quote Originally Posted by canon View Post
    update G3 map into internal storage will use up all internal storage leave not enough room for further software update, that is the issue. it happened to me for new purchased 95sv a year ago and ended up to replace the unit by Garmin but a refurb one, not a good thing though.

11. Member
    no need to hack, it's unit function to be able to copy map from SD card to internal storage. the one I bought was 95sv with g2 map, I have a free chance to upgrade to the new g3 map few month later, after update the g3 map to a SD card, inset to the unit, give me two options: 1. load map from SD card, 2. copy the updated g3 map into internal built-in map. at that time, I did not know that is not good practice to update the internal map, and would like to have internal map updated hope can speed up the load time of the new map comparing with load form SD card. since then, I was not able to update software anymore for the unit although copy map to unit was successful.

I believe the new echomap plus with g3 internal map currently in the market for sure have large internal storage then previous one.