Question Unit? for livescope only

Before anyone tells me to use the search button, I have. I've read quite a bit. Indidcation point to a ehco map plus sv but not sure if that's the one best for me.
    new boat waiting on rigging. I'm considering 2 units upfront so I can try livescope. 9I have a hard enough time with one but I'm trying to commit the time this coming year to graphing more.

I'll have one smaller lowrance unit up front for waypoint mapping linked to console lowrance unit.

I'd like to have a unit solely for livescope up front as well with a good picture/resolution . I fish mostly rivers. Does not need to have mapping. 9-12" I'm flexible on size.

Suggestions..??

Thanks
    24’Bass Cat Puma Sts-300 Proxs
    23’Gatortrax Gt tunnel hull-200 Suzuki

I am glad I went up to the gps map 922xs to avoid the "cradle". My 922xs did not come with a ducer and came with a worldwide coastal map, it was the cheapest version I could get right now a 922 would be 19$ less but wasn't on hand and having the software to run a 2d burst encase was fine. I do not map at all it is only a LS display and works great for me. I have used a 9" 93sv+ and dislike the screen image and how it works vs my touch screen. Touch screen is nearly as good as my iPhone much better than my hds
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

3. Member
    Go with the largest screen your budget will allow. I've run mine on a 1042, an Ultra 106, and currently have it on an 8610. All these have been good.

SE Kansas grass grower

ROCK CHALK

Quote Originally Posted by Fishysam View Post
    I am glad I went up to the gps map 922xs to avoid the "cradle". My 922xs did not come with a ducer and came with a worldwide coastal map, it was the cheapest version I could get right now a 922 would be 19$ less but wasn't on hand and having the software to run a 2d burst encase was fine. I do not map at all it is only a LS display and works great for me. I have used a 9" 93sv+ and dislike the screen image and how it works vs my touch screen. Touch screen is nearly as good as my iPhone much better than my hds
    Thanks for input. What is avoiding the "cradle" ?

Quote Originally Posted by ring fry View Post
    Go with the largest screen your budget will allow. I've run mine on a 1042, an Ultra 106, and currently have it on an 8610. All these have been good.

SE Kansas grass grower
    No noticeable difference between those 3 ?

6. Member
    I do think the 8610 is slightly better but not dramatically. They are all pretty good. I normally keep my distance at 70' or less which makes everything bigger.

SE Kansas grass grower

ROCK CHALK

Quote Originally Posted by white gambler View Post
    Thanks for input. What is avoiding the "cradle" ?
    The 93+ and similar models has a removable screen where a cradle stays put with the power wires still connected. This cradle isn't water tight and seem to last about a season. When it dies so does the screen till garmin gets a replacement. Like an old CD player with detaching face plate. Bad idea in my book. I think some of the newer bigger better units are using a cradle system as well and that turns me off.

8. Member
    I have a 1022 that is about six months old. Still in great shape.

9. Member
    The 93+ and similar models has a removable screen where a cradle stays put with the power wires still connected. This cradle isn't water tight and seem to last about a season. When it dies so does the screen till garmin gets a replacement. Like an old CD player with detaching face plate. Bad idea in my book. I think some of the newer bigger better units are using a cradle system as well and that turns me off.
    Just an FYI: The new cradle design on the Ultra models is much improved over the ones on the original echomap. I've had a 73sv since it's inception and have had zero problems with it. I do know there have been numerous issues with others though. I love the quick disconnect as I store my boat in an open ended carport and have to remove all my units after each trip.

SE Kansas grass grower

ROCK CHALK

My units would stay put all the time so the feature of a quick disconnect design would not benefit me. Thank you so far for the input

11. Major Flagelator Gamblinman's Avatar
    GPSMAP 1222. Most economical value for a 12" screen and livescope.
    "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

12. Member
    Get a 12 if you can swing it. That extra height of the screen is very useful with LS.
    If I looked good in spandex and my boats paint had glitter, I’d fish for bass.
    Luckily the Crappie, Stripers and Tuna don’t seem to care.............. BigBry

Quote Originally Posted by ring fry View Post
    Just an FYI: The new cradle design on the Ultra models is much improved over the ones on the original echomap. I've had a 73sv since it's inception and have had zero problems with it. I do know there have been numerous issues with others though. I love the quick disconnect as I store my boat in an open ended carport and have to remove all my units after each trip.

SE Kansas grass grower
    still an extra piece to wear out or break http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=1018029

14. Member
    still an extra piece to wear out or break http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=1018029
    I've got to believe that was either a factory defect or it was accidently bumped or something. I snap my Ultra in every time I go because by boat is in a carport. I've not had an issue after many months of use.SE Kansas grass growewr

ROCK CHALK

Thank you for responding, I am not saying I dislike what garmin has done because simply put they have made some extremely awesome products. Just not personally sold on all of them.