chevy colorado or gmc canyon

thinking of going to a smaller truck. any towing info... currently have a 5.2 Silverado.
    thanks

2. Banned
    Have a Colorado crew cab, long bed diesel. Tows the boat fine. Pulled the 6K 25' travel trailer a few miles once. It pulled the trailer, but wasn't a comfortable tow. I believe the payload is about 1200 on ours. It can get mpg's in the 30's empty.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ficht158 View Post
    thinking of going to a smaller truck. any towing info... currently have a 5.2 Silverado.
    thanks
    Colorado ZR2

4. Member
    Arent they the same truck with different trim ?
    1988 Ranger 364V
    150HP Merc Black Max

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by okiebass View Post
    Arent they the same truck with different trim ?
    I think OP is asking more in general about how the Canyonero Twins handle a boat.

6. Member
    They are the same trucks. Same engine, transmission, frame and so on. The only difference is body styling, suspension, and interior electronics. GMC is the higher class sister company of Chevy, much like Ford and Lincoln, Kia and Hyundai, Toyota/Scion and Lexus. If you want a smoother, quieter ride go with the GMC. If you want a to spend less for 1/4 to drive like a full size and have better off road suspension, go with Chevy.
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

7. Member
    Same truck.

My wife has a 2019 Colorado and it will pull my Z520 but does not feel solid like a 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton does if that makes sense.

Overall it has been a great truck and she loves it.
    Mike
    Ranger Z520
    Mercury 250 Pro XS

8. Member
    Recently purchased the ZR1 Colorado Crew Cab. The V-6 will surprise you.....strong engine with the 3:42 gears. I loose just a touch going up hills, but very tolerable. Boat is only behind the truck one-two times per month. Average 18.7 in town and 22 plus on the road. 14 towing which is more than my old Tahoe. Wonderful purchase for me.....meets my needs. I don't miss the extra width or length of a full size. Like said.....pleasantly surprised. Above 20' it would be more of a struggle towing wise......below a 20 footer.....more than okay....my take.

9. Member
    In typical BBC lounge fashion - what about a Nissan Frontier?
    I've had one for just over a year now, no problems. Crew cab, V6 4.0 liter gas, 4x4, 5' bed, rated to tow just over 6000#,
    Can also get the Crew cab with a 6' bed.

10. Member
    i know they are the same truck. just wanted to know how they towed with the v 6

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ficht158 View Post
    i know they are the same truck. just wanted to know how they towed with the v 6
    Not sure what you are towing but the V-6 has plenty of power.
    Mike
    Ranger Z520
    Mercury 250 Pro XS

Quote Originally Posted by Skunked again View Post
    In typical BBC lounge fashion - what about a Nissan Frontier?
    I've had one for just over a year now, no problems. Crew cab, V6 4.0 liter gas, 4x4, 5' bed, rated to tow just over 6000#,
    Can also get the Crew cab with a 6' bed.
    Great reliable truck. I’ve owned 2 in the past. Not sure why they don’t get talked about more.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

13. Member
    I’m towing my 20’ cobra with a Tacoma. It does the job fine, but I do wish I had a little more power on the hills, but it’s all in the transmission. My taco has some horrible gearing. Can’t really comment on the Colorado’s, but I’m sure some info could be found on some Colorado/Canyon forums.
    '99 Cobra 201D
    Merc 250 Pro Xs 4 stroke

I have the 2017 extended cab Colorado with the V-6.

The V-6 models have a 8 speed transmission, the V-4 and diesel have a 6 speed transmission.

I have a couple of SUV's with CVT and the 8 speed is close to those in feel on the road.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

15. Member
    Those TN "hills" can task a vehicle while towing. I live near Crossville half of each year.

I tow little 16 or 17 ft tinnys. One is towed in TN. The other around Texas. Same tow vehicle (Sienna 6 cyl Van) and the difference in location is noticeable. Yet, my light-weight boats get there just fine.