Thread: Dying Alone

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Dying Alone

Preface: My Dad's identical twin brother for some reason disconnected himself from our family after my Grandfather's death in the late 90's and didn't show for my Grandmother's funeral in the mid 2000's. To reach him my Aunt would have to call his neighbor and tell him to have Dan call, sometimes he would sometimes not but when he did he was very distant and unconcerning. When my Aunt died a couple of years ago he showed up at her funeral and we treated him like nothing had ever happened. He was never married as far as I can remember or had a live in girlfriend for several years or may have even been married to her but that was before my time. He has no children. I get a random Facebook message today from a guy I don't know but remembered my Uncle mentioning my name so he found me on Facebook (which I've only had for about 3 months now) to tell me my Uncle had died and to contact the local county sheriff to give next of kin. So here I am at lunch finding out my Uncle just died in his sleep last night on Facebook and I have to call my Dad and other Uncle to tell them "Hey you're brother is dead I found out through Facebook". I just seen him October 5th in Eureka Springs for the Corvette weekend because my Dad always brings whatever Vette he has for the gathering, Uncle lives close so he started coming up for the Saturday and I'm only 45 minutes away. What a whirlwind of a day. But it's sad to me to know that he died alone and nobody knew how to reach a family member to inform them other than a Facebook message. The guy that messaged me was the neighbor's son. My Uncle was 66 and worked the majority of his life at a major Walmart distribution center, lived on a farm, and had dairy cattle. He's very well off I'm sure but died alone. My Dad called the neighbor and talked to him, neighbor asked "Is Chad your son? Because that's who he always said he was leaving everything to". I don't know if that is written or just talk and I honestly don't care all we know is he's dead and know nothing about burial arrangements or estate. It's really sad. I'm 34 with no children and this kind of wakes me up to the future of my life's ending.

It is sad that he died alone. But, it also sounds like he did it on his own terms. for him.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

First, Sorry for your loss, I'm similar 33, No real relationship for years now. But, I am not distant from family or friends. I have a new niece, my best friends kids call me their uncle. You don't have to die alone unless you choose too. I have friends who will do things for me before i'd ever ask family for a favor. Don't think down on yourself for not having what everyone else thinks is the way we should live, married, kids, and all that. Here is a quote, it's from a TV show but still.

Everyone dies alone. But if you meant something to someone, if you helped someone, or loved someone, if even a single person remembers you, then maybe you never really die. And maybe, this isn't the end at all."
    2019 BassCat Lynx 2019 250 Pro XS 4 Stroke - 2B573410
    "Reality Is Often Disappointing."

4. Banned
    Some people are loners and some aren’t, most loners don’t care about how other people feel, don’t feel bad for him.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ckfishin View Post
    First, Sorry for your loss, I'm similar 33, No real relationship for years now. But, I am not distant from family or friends. I have a new niece, my best friends kids call me their uncle. You don't have to die alone unless you choose too. I have friends who will do things for me before i'd ever ask family for a favor. Don't think down on yourself for not having what everyone else thinks is the way we should live, married, kids, and all that. Here is a quote, it's from a TV show but still.
    I’m a lot like this. Some people just don’t mind being alone. Sorry for your loss though.

6. Member
    He had friends but just disconnected from his family until his sister died. He has two brothers, three nieces, and me the only nephew. He supposedly didn't like kids but liked me and his neighbor who he's close to told my Dad today that everything he had goes to me which I'm not concerned with at this time. I do remember he was always mean to my cousins (girls) but good to me especially at Christmas time. I'm very sure he's well off but it's disturbing to me that the only way his death was related to his family was to me through a Facebook message because nobody that he knew had any way of relating the message much less knowing who to relate it to. At this time all we know is that he is dead. My Dad left Tupelo to stay with his brother in Little Rock tonight and tomorrow they'll go to Ozark AR to find out more and make arrangements.

Very sorry for you to find out the way you did. I'm impressed with the way you are handling this. Very mature. Just be strong for yourself and show your love and support. Prayers for your family.
    " A Few Good Fish"
    Please check out my youtube channel
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuuwIthNWDweOTGjtkfOVGw

8. Member
    We have a family member that is similar. She used to be very outgoing. Now, she will not answer the door or the phone. Our fear is she will have an accident, or worse - pass, and no one will know .

Quote Originally Posted by Cestratton View Post
    He had friends but just disconnected from his family until his sister died. He has two brothers, three nieces, and me the only nephew. He supposedly didn't like kids but liked me and his neighbor who he's close to told my Dad today that everything he had goes to me which I'm not concerned with at this time. I do remember he was always mean to my cousins (girls) but good to me especially at Christmas time. I'm very sure he's well off but it's disturbing to me that the only way his death was related to his family was to me through a Facebook message because nobody that he knew had any way of relating the message much less knowing who to relate it to. At this time all we know is that he is dead. My Dad left Tupelo to stay with his brother in Little Rock tonight and tomorrow they'll go to Ozark AR to find out more and make arrangements.
    I work in Ozark. Let me know if I can help you with anything. Prayers for your family.

10. Member
    Prayers, I know you’ll do what’s right and give him a proper burial. God sees and knows everything. Remember it was he who said, if you do it unto them, you have done it unto me.

Prayers to you and your Family
    97 Stratos 288
    175 Evenrude Intruder
    Humminbird electronics
    Garmin electronics
    Fortrex112
    2012 Ford Lariat 250

12. Member
    Sad Sad. But it sounds like he lived the life he wanted.

13. Member
    That a tough way to find out. Just know in your heart you did what you think was right. People choose to be along sometimes it's because of mental problems, not saying that was his case. I have a uncle in California whose lawyer sent me a copy of his will that named names me as his executer of his estate. He has left me everything except his car collection which goes to a museum in California. I've called many times to try and talk to him but he never answers the phone or returns my calls. I don't look forward to the day I get a call from his lawyer.
    John the Garage Doorman

You come into the world alone and you leave alone....but I understand what you are saying. Prayers for you and peace to your uncle as others have said he lived and died as he desired.

22R

Allison XB2002 / Merc 150 XR6

Everyone is different. Nothing wrong what so ever with the way he lived and died.

16. Member
    It's sad he died alone, but he didn't have to. He chose to do what he did. Sorry for your family's loss, I know his brothers will miss him.
    All sheep are eventually led to slaughter

17. Banned
    Sorry for your loss. I could see me being the same way in the end. I could go weeks without talking to anyone and It wouldn’t bother me a bit. I like being alone most of the time. If I outlive my brother and sister, I could see my death being similar.

18. Indiana Bass Club Moderator billius's Avatar
    Sorry for your loss.
    Bill Gard
    Richmond, Indiana
    2015 BassCat Caracal/225ProXs
    TEAM SHERM'S MARINE
    Of course I talk to myself...sometimes I need expert advice.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 22R View Post
    You come into the world alone and you leave alone....but I understand what you are saying. Prayers for you and peace to your uncle as others have said he lived and died as he desired.

22R
    Well said.

20. Member
    Man,that is tough! Sounds like you will do what is right. Probably why he liked you! Sorry for your loss!’

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast