1999-2005 Merc advise

I'm searching for boats powered by motors 200 hp -225hp in the 1999-2005 range. Most are optimax and EFI. I have always been a Yamaha, Evinrude owner.
    I know Merc makes great motors but I don't know what years and models to avoid. What are the pros and cons of the two choices opti or EFI/

Thank you

2. Member
    Optimax is more efficient than EFI but more complicated mechanically. Repairs could be more expensive with the Optimax. If you plan to do you own maintenance and repairs the EFI will be easier. The years you are looking at is also the first years of Optimax so some say they were the least reliable of the Optimax. You can see I would recommend EFI but efficiency would not be my first worry, reliability and ease of repairs would be.
    Mercury 2002 200hp Carbed Saltwater
    OT566776
    2002 Cape Horn 22' Bay

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Since Mercury doesn't really use "years"... it would be a good idea to obtain and provide the serial number of any "candidate" so you can research that specific engine.

There are 2.5L and 3L models in this HP range (as well as some 4-stroke models), so that leaves quite a few possibilities.

EFI's... I prefer the later design "downdraft" with 555 based Motorola ECM/PCM.

Optimax... I prefer the later design with the IVST (Integrated Vapor Separator Tank)... evidenced by a red-cap fuel filter in the top of the VST.

Fourstroke: If you can find a Verado (even the first year), those are some pretty solid engines.

Note: There is a dedicated forum for each of these (below this one) if you're looking for more info pertinent to that engine model.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by leonreno View Post
    Optimax is more efficient than EFI but more complicated mechanically. Repairs could be more expensive with the Optimax. If you plan to do you own maintenance and repairs the EFI will be easier. The years you are looking at is also the first years of Optimax so some say they were the least reliable of the Optimax. You can see I would recommend EFI but efficiency would not be my first worry, reliability and ease of repairs would be.
    So if I am looking for a turn the key and it starts motor , I should most likely go with the EFI? you mention efficiency, is there a large gas mileage difference? How many hours is too many?

5. Member
    I think either could be turn key as long as that motor is functioning properly, both motors work when they work. I have a 2002 carbed 200. Since doing my own maintenance and repair and keeping an eye on it, it has been very reliable. It’s also fairly easy to work on. An EFI would be fairly easy to work on too, however I think the Optimax becomes more complicated. You would have to evaluate each motor separate as you find them. Hours is hard to say, though I would actually be more weary of a very low hour motor than a moderate higher hour motor in those years. Someone else may have more accurate efficiency comparison but I would “assume” Optimax is at least 25% more efficient than an EFI, maybe higher. Take heart to what Don has said, some 225 motors are 2.5L and some are 3.0L, you will have better power with the 3l motor. Choice also depends on the type and model of boat used too. If you find something you are interested in post the boat and motor info (with motor serial number if possible) for some opinions on that combo. I’m not really trying to scare you from Optimax (I have not owned one) but if you are looking at 1999-2005 boats then budget maybe important to you not only on purchase but maintenance and repair. I’m in that situation myself.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by leonreno View Post
    I think either could be turn key as long as that motor is functioning properly, both motors work when they work. I have a 2002 carbed 200. Since doing my own maintenance and repair and keeping an eye on it, it has been very reliable. It’s also fairly easy to work on. An EFI would be fairly easy to work on too, however I think the Optimax becomes more complicated. You would have to evaluate each motor separate as you find them. Hours is hard to say, though I would actually be more weary of a very low hour motor than a moderate higher hour motor in those years. Someone else may have more accurate efficiency comparison but I would “assume” Optimax is at least 25% more efficient than an EFI, maybe higher. Take heart to what Don has said, some 225 motors are 2.5L and some are 3.0L, you will have better power with the 3l motor. Choice also depends on the type and model of boat used too. If you find something you are interested in post the boat and motor info (with motor serial number if possible) for some opinions on that combo. I’m not really trying to scare you from Optimax (I have not owned one) but if you are looking at 1999-2005 boats then budget maybe important to you not only on purchase but maintenance and repair. I’m in that situation myself.
    I appreciate the feedback

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Crankin View Post
    So if I am looking for a turn the key and it starts motor , I should most likely go with the EFI? you mention efficiency, is there a large gas mileage difference? How many hours is too many?
    Not necessarily. The EFI, Optimax, and Verado are all EFI engines. Primary difference is the EFI, as I understand it, was more or less, the carb version upgraded to EFI (someone correct me if I don't have this right). Has been repeatedly stated in the Mercury forums the EFI is a tried and true platform. The Optimax and Verado have always been "EFI" and Don has reported here many times the Optimax will provide at least 33% better fuel economy compared to the EFI.

Hours are relative to use and proper maintenance, I'd rather purchase an engine with more hours that's been used regularly and maintained as recommended than one with low hours that's seen infrequent use and sporadic maintenance.

FWIW, I was out over the weekend with my almost 11yr old 2.5L Optimax. Per my Mercmonitor which provides real time fuel economy, I was getting 5.8mpg, 3650rpm, at 29mph. I expect mine to still be going strong 10yrs from now, then again, I personally perform all maintenance as recommended in the FAQ.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax