Thread: Waypoints

Waypoints

Hey guys, just wondering how everyone organizes their wpts on their body of water. I have tons of wpts and wonder what is the easiest way to organize them, by year, by months, etc Also how long to you keep them for.

Thanks

2. Member
    I actually keep a separate file for each lake. I know I don’t need to but I just like it that way. I keep a folder on my computer for each lake so it’s easy to organize. I name it something like Sam Rayburn 11-20-19. Every time I go, if I add anything, I will save it with the current date. I keep all my files, they don’t take much space. I have Solix units so I can put them in groups. You can have them in groups like sum, fall, win, spr, L spr-E sum, etc. L spr-E sum would be “late spring-early summer”. I just have to limit the group name to 13 characters. I have some software that I can go in and sort by group, then hide all the ones I don’t need, then load them to my units. It takes me less than 5 minutes to do. You won’t see any waypoints that are hidden on the map even though they are still in the unit. I have gotten away from hiding the groups, I basically know all of my waypoints so I don’t really need to hide them.
    Have a Blessed Day,
    Mike

3. Member
    My lowrance GPS hasnt worked in 3years . dont really miss it

4. Member
    If you are using a Lowrance unit then when you mark the waypoints you can label them accordingly. In the waypoint menu screen it will list them alphbetically so theyre already organized if youll label correctly. For instance Brush Pile, Rocks, Ledge, Hump ect,
    I also make multiple passes over these spots and put more than just one waypoint on it. I also mark the boat position with a separate waypoint showing where it needs to be according to wind and boat position. Remember you don't need to see the structure when fishing it, just need to know that its where your casting with drop shotting being the exception.
    Phil 4:19 2018 Nitro Z19, 200Pro Xs, Lowrance, Minnkota

Quote Originally Posted by Mike2718 View Post
    I actually keep a separate file for each lake. I know I don’t need to but I just like it that way. I keep a folder on my computer for each lake so it’s easy to organize. I name it something like Sam Rayburn 11-20-19. Every time I go, if I add anything, I will save it with the current date. I keep all my files, they don’t take much space. I have Solix units so I can put them in groups. You can have them in groups like sum, fall, win, spr, L spr-E sum, etc. L spr-E sum would be “late spring-early summer”. I just have to limit the group name to 13 characters. I have some software that I can go in and sort by group, then hide all the ones I don’t need, then load them to my units. It takes me less than 5 minutes to do. You won’t see any waypoints that are hidden on the map even though they are still in the unit. I have gotten away from hiding the groups, I basically know all of my waypoints so I don’t really need to hide them.
    Thats a very useful feature of the Solix, interesting.

I run Lowrances (for now) and have to do naming schemes and icons to organize as Lowrance only organizes by alphabetic order. On small bodies of water I use a short description such as "rocks" or "log" and use individual symbols to represent each thing. On larger bodies I use the same symbols so everything is that same across every lake, but I split lake areas up into names such as "North end", "West Dunes", "Crab Creek", etc and then name the waypoints using abbreviations of that. Crab Creek Rocks would be CCRocks with a rock symbol.I picked this up watching Game Over Anglings videos and it works out OK. I'd much rather have groups though...one more reason to swap to birds...
    06 Skeeter 20i Yamaha 250 HPDI
    Visit my Youtube Channel!
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCW6p06navSpOqUn3xotG2vA

6. Member
    Myfishinglogs.com

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveBrabec View Post
    My lowrance GPS hasnt worked in 3years . dont really miss it
    Lol