Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

SeaStar Steering Seal Kit?

My seastar seal cap ends are leaking. My question is this. I can order some off the wall brand seals for an fraction of what seastar wants for a seal repair kit. Anyone tried the cheaper seal kits? Looks they from China. Kit I need is a HS5157 seal kit. Thanks for any help

My advice to you is forget the “no brand” seals and get the Teleflex/SeaStar solutions ones. SeaStar uses nitrile seals that are compatible with a number of fluids and won’t break down as easy. Hard to say what’s in the generic stuff. You can also take them to any hydraulic place and they will fit you with seals that are even better the standard nitrile type for just a few bucks.
    Last edited by WVBullet; 01-07-2020 at 09:51 PM.

2008 BULLET 21XD 2007 Merc 300xs

3. Member
    Thank you sir. Yeah common sense tells me to go with the $100-$120 seastar kit but those $35-$45 kits on ebay sure look tempting.

If I'm thinking of the same end caps that I have there is a tool that comes with the kit that you need also. I replaced mine and its not a hard job the instructions were very clear and easy to understand.

5. Member
    i bought the kit,it had everything i needed in it,every time i try to save a dime it cost me more or doing it twice

Quote Originally Posted by buster502 View Post
    i bought the kit,it had everything i needed in it,every time i try to save a dime it cost me more or doing it twice

7. Member
    I just got mine from Amazon a few days ago. $94.
    2006 Stratos 294 Pro XL.2005 Yamaha 200 VMAX 3.1L. 8" Hydro Dynamics Rapid Jack. Ultrex 112 I-Plot link. 2 Helix 10 Chirp Mega SI GPS G2N.

Seastar HS5157 Front Mount Hydraulic Steering Cylinder Seal Kit, With Wrench https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001449P70..._mdXZDbXB7EJJC

Here is the seals only. Appears to be a quality seal.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F183850176767

10. Member
    Whatever you do don't spill the fluid on your carpet when you bleed it.
    I was being careful and still spilled some on my carpet and it loosened the carpet glue.
    You will have to ring something up to hold the fluid high enough for gravity to fill at the wheel.
    Count on spilling some. Put some plastic down with a towel over it over a large area. It may also run down the
    your steering colume.
    2012 Ranger Z518
    Motor Info:
    200 XS
    Serial number 1B882317
    Model number 1200P73EY

Quote Originally Posted by 518RangerJeff View Post
    Whatever you do don't spill the fluid on your carpet when you bleed it.
    I was being careful and still spilled some on my carpet and it loosened the carpet glue.
    You will have to ring something up to hold the fluid high enough for gravity to fill at the wheel.
    Count on spilling some. Put some plastic down with a towel over it over a large area. It may also run down the
    your steering colume.
    This^^^^^. Put plastic and a towel down like he said just incase. It’s nice if you have a helper to hold the bottle while you bleed.

12. Member
    My take is different. The seastar kit costs about a hundred bucks. I went to precision seal here in Birmingham AL and got ALL of the required seals (NOT the glands). Includes the wipers, the o-rings, you can even get the o-ring and backing for the piston itself. All for about ten bucks. NOT hard to install, about the only tool you need is an o-ring pick from any auto parts. Seastar won't even sell you the piston o-ring. "send it back to factory for that..."

BTW I second uflex. the helm is similar to seastar, but the cylinder on the motor is FAR superior in every way. Particularly in the articulated arm that connects to the motor tiller arm with bearings at every pivot point. Compare that to seastar and you will see the difference quickly.

As far as tools go, buy a good spanner wrench anyway. You can use that to remove the steering cylinder glands, plus those on the trim/tilt cylinders to boot...
    2008 Bass Cat Pantera Classic
    2014 Mercury Pro XS 200

13. Member
    Just take the gland to a hydraulic shop and the can match the O-ring and seal. I had my nephew do that to his about 3 years ago. It cost him $4 for everything and is still holding up just fine. The seal does have to be installed facing the correct way so take a photo before removing the old one & installing the new one. You can get a spanner wrench from Harborfreight for 3 or 4 dollars. They call them “pin wrenches”. The O-ring size he got was 39mm O.D. X 33mm I.D. X 3mm thick. I don’t remember the seal # but the shop matched it.
    Have a Blessed Day,
    Mike

14. Member
    my SeaStar steering cables are rubbing on my trasom , what can I do , looks like the orbs that connected to the cables are the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeT@1954 View Post
    my SeaStar steering cables are rubbing on my trasom , what can I do , looks like the orbs that connected to the cables are the problem.
    Readjust them and bleed the system. Had the same problem.
    2008 Ranger 178VX
    150 Yamaha V-max

GO Fins!!!

16. Banned
    Here's my thought on that, Seastar seals in Seastar stuff. Fix it once and be done or cheap out and probably fix it twice with the added cost of the cheap seals. Just my .02 worth, the older you get the more you reflect on the times you tried to save a dollar but didn't....

Just redid mine with the Sea Star brand stuff. Only thing I do different than most is I’ve always trans fluid in the system instead if the steering fluid.
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

18. Member
    the seals should last 15-20 years, so why not just buy the the sea star parts and be done with it

Quote Originally Posted by crank68 View Post
    Just redid mine with the Sea Star brand stuff. Only thing I do different than most is I’ve always trans fluid in the system instead if the steering fluid.
    Same here. Dexron VI.

20. Member
    My seal is leaking but I don't know what model I have to order kit any help would be appreciated thanks

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast