Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Good trolling motor batteries?

I have been having to replace my trolling batteries every 1.5-2 years. Is this normal. I run an ultrex 36v and group 31 non atm batteries. The last set was Duracell. I do run a lot of tidal waters and always fish against the currents.

What battery will do better?

Thanks
    Roger Jenks Jr
    2021 Bass Cat Lynx
    250 Pro xs 4S Serial # 3B010758

How long will it take you do have 3,000 battery recharges?

Lithium batteries have a cycle life of 3,000-5,000.

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=982657
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

3. Member
    You should be able to do way better than that. Do you keep the water level over the plates? Do you charge them after each trip within a few hours?

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jig_Man View Post
    You should be able to do way better than that. Do you keep the water level over the plates? Do you charge them after each trip within a few hours?
    I do charge my batteries immediately when I get home but I do not check the water. I never have.

Do you reccomend a certain battery?
    Roger Jenks Jr
    2021 Bass Cat Lynx

5. 80.3 mph and squeezing bruce''s Avatar
    Fishing Texas lakes one at a time
    2000 Baltex hull 202 Elite Champion
    2016 250 pro
    8 inch Hydraulic Jack Plate
    tempest 27 work by Steve
    Hook sets are fishing reality.

6. Member
    I read a lot of the thread Wayne posted and just looked at the website. The temperature deal scares me. I fish some mornings that are 20 degrees. Also my boat is not stored in a heated garage. From what I read these batteries will not work. Am I correct?
    Roger Jenks Jr
    2021 Bass Cat Lynx

7. Member
    It's true the low temp really hurts cranking power. It's not an issue with the troller. The batteries warm as you use them and full power comes back.
    For cranking, some turn on the depthfinders for a while before launching in cold weather just to warm the cranking batteries.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by John Jackson View Post
    It's true the low temp really hurts cranking power. It's not an issue with the troller. The batteries warm as you use them and full power comes back.
    For cranking, some turn on the depthfinders for a while before launching in cold weather just to warm the cranking batteries.
    i have been using lithium trolling for a while no issues. I just ordered a rb100hpfor a cranker. I doesn't get to cold much in south Louisiana, but I plan to just put a heat light on the battery compartment when It does
    2014 Xpress X-19 Pro Yammy VMAX 175 HDPI

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rolopayne View Post
    i have been using lithium trolling for a while no issues. I just ordered a rb100hpfor a cranker. I doesn't get to cold much in south Louisiana, but I plan to just put a heat light on the battery compartment when It does
    I ran a Relion 100 amp for a cranking battery. While it did always crank my motor, below 30* it barely turned it over. I went back to Odyssey PC-2150M for a cranking battery due to this issue. (250XS and 300XS motors)

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by John Jackson View Post
    I ran a Relion 100 amp for a cranking battery. While it did always crank my motor, below 30* it barely turned it over. I went back to Odyssey PC-2150M for a cranking battery due to this issue. (250XS and 300XS motors)
    you where running a HP or the old school 100? I tried the regular rb100 but the BMS would shut it down
    2014 Xpress X-19 Pro Yammy VMAX 175 HDPI

11. Member
    Both. The original had the bms go bad, (black battery) and the replacement was the newer blue one. Above 30* and the lithium cranked over quicker. below 30* and it was so slow I'm surprised it cranked the motor. I have been carrying a 100 amp lithium as a backup battery, and good thing, as I have needed it 3 times in tournaments in the past 3 years. The original was supposed to be a cranking battery.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JINXBASS View Post
    I do charge my batteries immediately when I get home but I do not check the water. I never have.

Do you reccomend a certain battery?
    I had 5 year old optima blue tops still going strong when I traded off my last boat. I am running optima blue tops in my current boat. They are in their 4th year of trouble free service.

Lithium for Trolling Motor as the post title states.

A trolling motor needs no cranking amps.
    Last edited by Wayne P.; 11-15-2019 at 07:18 AM.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

but I do not check the water. I never have.
    Your short changing yourself there. They don't use much but they will use some is normal. I get 5-7 years in most cases with plan Jane Deep Cycles. Check them every few months and top off with good distilled water only.

Steve McQueen "Le Mans"
    Own the Champ! Life Long Petty Fan!

2003 ChampioN 2006 250 Merc. XB, Prop By Mark C.
    2002 Ranger Okeechobee Special EvinRude Ficht 90 / 9.9 4-Stroke GLAD to have a Get me to the Dock motor maybe!

15. Member
    Jinx, Along with charging when done fishing and checking the water level; If your charger is not adequate or is defective and your batteries don't get a full charge and keep them at 100% they will grow weak faster than they should. Bob
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick H View Post
    Your short changing yourself there. They don't use much but they will use some is normal. I get 5-7 years in most cases with plan Jane Deep Cycles. Check them every few months and top off with good distilled water only.
    Could you give me an idea of how often you use your troller? I will check the water in them as well.
    Roger Jenks Jr
    2021 Bass Cat Lynx

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bobcoy View Post
    Jinx, Along with charging when done fishing and checking the water level; If your charger is not adequate or is defective and your batteries don't get a full charge and keep them at 100% they will grow weak faster than they should. Bob
    Any idea on how to test a charger. I have a noco genius 4 bank 40 amp. It is about 7 years old but i would not think that all banks would go bad at one time. Also it does seem to charge the batteries well just will only run the batteries for about 6-8 hours.
    Roger Jenks Jr
    2021 Bass Cat Lynx

Could you give me an idea of how often you use your troller? I will check the water in them as well.
    2-3 Times a week three seasons.

Steve McQueen "Le Mans"
    Own the Champ! Life Long Petty Fan!

2003 ChampioN 2006 250 Merc. XB, Prop By Mark C.
    2002 Ranger Okeechobee Special EvinRude Ficht 90 / 9.9 4-Stroke GLAD to have a Get me to the Dock motor maybe!

19. Member
    I installed Walmart Lead everstart batteries for the trolling motor in 2013. I have no issues as of yet. I keep the batteries on the charger when off the water and leave the onboard charger plugged up when not fishing. I check my electrolyte fluid monthly.
    So the answer to your question they should last longer.

20. Member
    Thanks to all. I guess I was not doing my job. I will check them but I may be going lithium. I thought about it last year about this time, but could not pull the trigger. So I am checking into it more again.

I will let everyone know if the water is low just for a FYI.
    Roger Jenks Jr
    2021 Bass Cat Lynx

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast