Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

1999 225 Evinrude Ficht "No Oil" Alarm When Cold

E225FPLEEO

Hi Guys

I started having a problem with a no oil alarm at the end of last season during the months of November and December.

This past weekend I took the boat out on Saturday morning. The air temperature dropped in to the teens the night before and when I launched in the morning it was around 25 degrees. The engine fires right up and runs smooth. I let it warm up quite awhile on cold morning. When I go to get the boat up on plane, the "No Oil" alarm sounds and the computer goes in to "slow" mode limiting the RPM's to 2500. As i come back down to idle the light goes off.

I fished a couple hours around the boat launch and as the air temperature got just above freezing around 32 degrees I was able to get the boat up on plane without triggering the "No Oil" alarm. The rest of the day I ran all over the lake with no problems.

This happened several times the previous year when the temps were below freezing and every time the temperature warmed up close to the 32 degree mark the engine would run fine.

I lived with it last year but the cold is just starting here and I would now like to fix the issue. I am hoping it is the "oil pressure" sensor and I have one on order and it is expected to be delivered on Monday. When I hook it up to the lap top it shows fault code 35 Oil Pressure Loss, Switch/Circuit Malfunction. Engine operating temperature was normal through out the day. The oil pressure switch has a single wire that goes to Pin 2 on the Upper Connector. The cost of the sensor was $40.

The sensor is not expected to be delivered until Monday and I want to fish this weekend. Im wondering if I temporarily disconnect the single wire from the sensor until I get the new one if the engine will run normal or is this a bad idea?

thanks
    -Dave

2. Member
    What oil are you running? XD 100 will help with that in the cold weather.

Thank you. I am running the XD 100

I assume there is a screen in the pickup in the tank. I would at least look at that and clean it. If it's slightly clogged I can see it doing what your talking about.
    It's not a bad idea to clean out the oil tank and pickup every so often.

Steve McQueen "Le Mans"
    Own the Champ! Life Long Petty Fan!

2003 ChampioN 2006 250 Merc. XB, Prop By Mark C.
    2002 Ranger Okeechobee Special EvinRude Ficht 90 / 9.9 4-Stroke GLAD to have a Get me to the Dock motor maybe!

5. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    If as you say you're running the xd-100 the the oil pump is likely showing it's age. Rick may be onto something....check the oil tank for containaments and the screen for blockage...

6. Member
    I had the exact same problem with my 1999 FICHT 200HP (FPLEEN), The mechanic told me to change the Oil Lift Pump, it wasn't cheap, but I finally changed it, and I never had the problem again.

I eventually replaced this engine (low compression 2 cylinders), but I took off parts to sell, I do have the Oil Lift Pump, If you want to change it, It was working fine when I took it off. Freshwater use only, no corrosion. Comes w/ sending unit.

I went on line & this part is shown as unavailable, It is PN 1 on the Evinrude Parts Web site.
    http://shop2.evinrude.com/Index.aspx..._id=0&siteid=1

I'd take $60 including shipping for the pump

Ed
    Waterford, Ct.
    860-941-7083
    Last edited by Team Mud; 11-24-2019 at 05:01 AM.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Team Mud View Post
    I had the exact same problem with my 1999 FICHT 200HP (FPLEEN), The mechanic told me to change the Oil Lift Pump, it wasn't cheap, but I finally changed it, and I never had the problem again.

I eventually replaced this engine (low compression 2 cylinders), but I took off parts to sell, I do have the Oil Lift Pump, If you want to change it, It was working fine when I took it off. Freshwater use only, no corrosion. Comes w/ sending unit.

I went on line & this part is shown as unavailable, It is PN 1 on the Evinrude Parts Web site.
    http://shop2.evinrude.com/Index.aspx..._id=0&siteid=1

I'd take $60 including shipping for the pump

Ed
    Waterford, Ct.
    860-941-7083
    better jump on this!! 99 is a one of a kind motor
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

8. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    This ^^^!

Did a compression test this past weekend and hooked it up to the laptop and unfortunately I have zero compression in cylinder #2. No other codes.

It may have had a good run with 600 hours.

10. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    and now the decision begins. Rebuild or repower.

Quote Originally Posted by stratos View Post
    Did a compression test this past weekend and hooked it up to the laptop and unfortunately I have zero compression in cylinder #2. No other codes.

It may have had a good run with 600 hours.
    WOW from oil alarm cold to dead cylinder that stinks. If it was mine I would repower verses rebuild because there are a lot of better options now. If the Ficht I have has another issue it will be replaced. But at the same time its got less then 90 hrs on it. Its worth something now verses if it broken. I can get a good deal on a 115 Suzuki 4stroke brand new. They seem to get pretty good reviews.
    Last edited by Rick H; 12-02-2019 at 03:07 PM.

Steve McQueen "Le Mans"

2002 Ranger Okeechobee Special EvinRude Ficht 90 / 9.9 4-Stroke GLAD to have a Get me to the Dock motor maybe!

12. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    99 being a one of year, I'd opt to repower.....depending on your budget you can go new or the BRP model from 03 up to the Etec are pretty good.....I ran a 03 225 for 15 years....running a 03 250 now. There always people looking for parts for the 99....part it out and recoup some $$$.

Quote Originally Posted by Bassmeister View Post
    99 being a one of year, I'd opt to repower.....depending on your budget you can go new or the BRP model from 03 up to the Etec are pretty good.....I ran a 03 225 for 15 years....running a 03 250 now. There always people looking for parts for the 99....part it out and recoup some $$$.
    Wise advise sir
    2000 Javelin Renegade 20 DC.
    Strong men create easy times, Easy times create weak men & weak men create hard times. Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum
    In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.
    In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings. "Author Unknown"
    In 2021 18-40 year old's want to and work to cancel you out if you have a different opinion.

I would love to have a new engine but I have also considered rebuilding. What is the main concern about a rebuild? Is it the reliability of the actual rebuilt block or is it the lack of parts available for this engine?

thanks

15. Member
    BLOCK - My experience only, but I've never seen a rebuild produce the power it used to, nor last any # of meaningful years.

PARTS - I'd say this is the larger concern. What if your PDP goes? Or the blue capacitor? To put $$$$ into a rebuild for something you might not be able to get a part for would indeed me a waste of money.

Heck, I'd rather chance repowering with an older pre-Ficht gas guzzler than take the chance on rebuilding a Ficht, never mind a '99 vintage one. And yes, I do run a '98 Ficht 175hp myself and have had V6s rebuilt (but never again).

Quote Originally Posted by stratos View Post
    I would love to have a new engine but I have also considered rebuilding. What is the main concern about a rebuild? Is it the reliability of the actual rebuilt block or is it the lack of parts available for this engine?

thanks
    Repower

Your Welcome!

Steve McQueen "Le Mans"

17. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    The biggest thing is parts availability....most of the fichts can swap parts among the big block engines...as I stated before the 99 is a one off engine and parts are getting hard to come by. If you're bound to rebuild i'd find a blown 99 whole just to scavenge parts from...

Not meaning to hijack post but on an 02-03 Ficht are there alternate replacements for the oil pump? I know there are for the high pressure fuel pump.
    Eddie
    2017 Phoenix 920 Pro XP Mercury 250 Pro XS

Quote Originally Posted by KutTail71 View Post
    Not meaning to hijack post but on an 02-03 Ficht are there alternate replacements for the oil pump? I know there are for the high pressure fuel pump.
    You must have missed it but he found another major problem the oil light or warning in on the back burner.

Steve McQueen "Le Mans"

Quote Originally Posted by Rick H View Post
    You must have missed it but he found another major problem the oil light or warning in on the back burner.
    Yes I saw that I was asking in reference in some parts being hard to come by.
    Eddie
    2017 Phoenix 920 Pro XP Mercury 250 Pro XS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast