Thread: Rod storage

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Rod storage

I'm just curious... how do y'all store your rods in the lockers? Do you leave the tubes and butt-end holder in there?

I think that only holds about nine or ten? I wind up with more rods laying underneath those, and it is hard to get those out. My rods always have covers on them when they are in the locker. Anyone just pile all of the rods in there, without the rack and tube system?
    2023 Puma STS

2. Member
    Many people remove the tubes.

Some of the guys do that and it’s efficient over moose heads butt racks and rod organizers.

More opinion will will be along shortly.

4. Member
    My tubes I took out but I still use the rod butt section but I can fit a lot more rods and get them in and out a lot quicker now
    2000 Triton Tr21
    2002 Mercury 250 Pro XB

5. Member
    I took both out and use rod gloves. So much better and easier to get out. I can now fit 30 or so rods in there.
    Roger Jenks Jr
    2021 Bass Cat Lynx
    250 Pro xs 4S Serial # 3B010758

I did that as well. I found I was jamming eyes on the tubes as I inserted them. It also gives me a good excuse to buy more rods because I now need to fill the entire locker
    Quote Originally Posted by JINXBASS View Post
    I took both out and use rod gloves. So much better and easier to get out. I can now fit 30 or so rods in there.

7. Member
    2016 Puma/SHO
    Rod tubes still intact, use rod socks on all as well, have 4 or 5 in the floor under the tubes.
    15 ish rods are more than enough for me.

The vast majority do not remove them, those who choose to will be more informative.

9. Member
    I have always removed the tube rod organizer from my BCB's. I use rod socks. All socks are colored per crankbait rods, vertical fishing, top water...etc. Makes it very easy to access which rods I want quickly.

When and if I sell my rig, I will install the rod organizer back in the locker for the next owner.
    Last edited by Cajunhunter67; 11-16-2019 at 01:23 AM.
    2016 BassCat Pantera II
    Mercury 200 ProXs

every boat I have had that had a "rod organizer" in the locker I took it out.
    I put mine in rod sleeves and forget about it plus can carry more if I want

11. Member
    Thanks. I was pretty sure I wanted to remove my tubes and rack - just wanted to make sure nobody had any problems with that.
    2023 Puma STS

12. Banned
    Really surprised that rods are laying in the bottom of these rod lockers considering how many have water issues in their rod lockers, including myself.

So when you guys are removing the tubes...are you cutting out the area that holds the tubes or just laying the rods below that area? If you cut out that area that holds the tubes does that affect the structural integrity at all?
    "heard it in a love song.........can't be wrong"

14. Member
    I removed the front part of the rod tubes and just use rod socks. I can store more rods if needed and the rod eyes don't get banged up. Much easier to access the rods as well. I have not had any issues with water in either side of my rod boxes.
    2007 Bass Cat Pantera IV
    2018 G3 Sportsman 1710

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sodaksker View Post
    So when you guys are removing the tubes...are you cutting out the area that holds the tubes or just laying the rods below that area? If you cut out that area that holds the tubes does that affect the structural integrity at all?
    No need to cut anything out. As I remember there is just some screws holding the front tubes in place. I left the back part that holds the handles in place.
    2007 Bass Cat Pantera IV
    2018 G3 Sportsman 1710

Quote Originally Posted by Cape Fear View Post
    No need to cut anything out. As I remember there is just some screws holding the front tubes in place. I left the back part that holds the handles in place.
    correct just remove a couple screws and the tube holder comes right out

17. Member
    I took the tubes out...left the butt holders in. Tubes were just 2 screws to remove and could be reinstalled very easily.
    Bass Cat Eyra 2019
    Mercury 250 Pro XS Fourstroke

It depends on the boat and rod tube configuation. The Cat can fit a number of rods under the original organizer so I kept it in. Put all my spares below and the ones I was using up.
    2012 Ranger Z519 Comanche - Merc. 225 Pro XS - 24 Razor 4 XL/25 Tempest Plus

If/When you remove the holders, make sure you seal up the screwholes that go through the top of the rod box. It is amazing how much water can enter through those holes. At least according to one guy who did not seal the holes at first...
    Aaron Campbell
    Barling, AR
    2007 Bass Cat Sabre
    2011 Merc 175 Pro XS

Same here.
    Quote Originally Posted by JINXBASS View Post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast