Rod Storage 06 198

I currently have an 06 198 with rod tubes inside the rod locker box. I noticed one of my rods had a hard time going in and out. When I pulled the tubes out, I realized that the far bottom left tube was bent. I looked inside and noticed a piece of wood that may be there for support?

With this said, has anyone had the similar issues? Any thoughts on what I can do? Pictures? Replacements?

I've tried running without the tubes, but getting the rods in and out are tough due to the space inside for the rod tips to slide through.

thank you

2. Pat Goff
    Yank all that junk out and wrap your rods up and throw them in. I carried 35-40 rods in mine.
    Pat Goff

Two degrees from center
    of nowhere.
    Smithwick TX.

[SIGPIC][<a href=http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=583&dateline=1498828542/SIGPIC] target=_blank>http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?t...828542/SIGPIC]</a>

3. Member
    Is it wide open beneath? I have what looks like a piece of plywood that looks like it a part of the boat inside. The Opening isn't very big.

If i'm not lifting my rod tips up, they get stuck

4. Banned
    How far up is this plywood? I don’t recall seeing that in mine, but I’ll look again Saturday. I quit using the tubes, they sucked to get the rods into.

5. Champion Boats Moderator Lea's Avatar
    I put the mesh type sleeves on my rods. No probs getting them in or out of the Moosehead system tubes. The sleeves also protect the rod eyes.

6. Member
    I got rid of the tubes and use rod sleeves, and reel covers, works well for me.

7. Member
    Here is a picture of what it looks like. The area looks bigger than this picture is showing.

Champion 198.jpgChampion 198.jpg

8. Member
    BR, first cut out that hanging fiberglass from deck. Before knocking out the that stringer, it might be there for support and you could build up a ramp to get the rod tips over it.

9. Banned
    I don’t recall seeing that in mine, but of course I forgot to look last weekend.

10. Member
    I'm thinking of removing the rod tubes in my boat. Too much hassle. Take those out and go with sleeves.

2005 Champion 198 DC Elite
    2005 Mercury Optimax-225hp (Serial#1B073011)

11. Member
    I took mine out of my 198. And use socks. Like it much better.

12. Member
    My 206 has about 12 racks and tubes in each rod box. Thankfully, never any problem getting the tips in or out. Its an 2008 yr so maybe they finally figured it out.
    They will also take rods up to at least 7' 8", which is the longest I have.