Thread: ZPI spool

ZPI spool

Anybody run the 001 in an OG Steez? How do you like it?

2. Member
    I just had the Tackle Trap install an 001-PG spool in my Steez SV 103H. I only got to use it once and now we have ice on our lakes. Based off of using it for a few hours that day, I was very impressed. What I noticed the most is the extremely fast start-up that the spool has. I actually had to adjust to it because on a short cast the bait just shoots like a bullet and I found myself initially casting my bait into trees or onto the bank because I wasn't used to the bait getting there so quickly (hopefully that makes sense). I have also found that I can keep my bait on a lower trajectory, especially on longer casts. It wasn't windy the day I used it, but I could definitely see that as being a big advantage on windy days. I was really hit and miss with accuracy the day I used it, primarily because of the super fast start-up. One cast would be right on target and another cast I would overshoot or have to stop my bait mid-flight to avoid overshooting the target. If you're just bombing casts, no problem. But for me at least, I've never had a spool like this before so I think it's just going to take more than a few hours to really adjust to the spool. For reference, I was throwing 1/4 and 3/8 oz crankbaits on a 7'2" MH glass composite Shimano Expride rod with 30lb braid.

3. Member
    I had the 001 M spool in an ss sv and can vouch that its a VERY quick spool, borderline wild. Its super light, the M weighed just under 7g with bearing, no line. I had to use a bit more thumb to control it even with the brakes maxed out. Pitches were lazer flat and once I got used to it it was easy to make accurate long pitches. On full casts in the ss sv platform it got very picky, meaning a shift in wind or if i swapped rods meant a new learning curve or I'd blow it up. I've heard in the tw reels it was designed for its much more tame, but where's the fun in that...

4. Member
    Awesome. I’m putting it in a ltd 103-TN for shallow cranks. Sucks the trap sold out right when I was ready to buy though.

5. Member
    Not the TTT's fault, but yeah, I finally went to order an M spool and they were out. :( I have a PG and it's fantastic so thought I'd see what the M can do. I did find an M used (in the color I wanted) so I'm good. I'm putting mine in a couple of Steez A reels.