Active Imaging, 3 in 1, HDS Live and other questions

I have installed in my boat a HDS 12 Carbon in dash(Sonar), HDS 9 Carbon on dash(Chart), 3D Structure Scan and it's associated transducer mounted under step. Just took possession of both HDS Live 9 and 12 to replace existing units. Honestly don't really use 3D Structure scan but it is installed and is the source for my current side/down scan I do use. The Live units came with a new 3 in 1 transducer. I want to take advantage of the newer technology. Lowrance chat line guy says to swap the 3 in 1 with the current LSS-2 transducer on my 3D Structure scan and it will work. Having more questions about the Active Imaging I called the Technical help line, the guy at Lowrance says to switch out the transducers and hook the 3 in 1 to the live unit, you don't need the 3D structure scan if I am not using it. I have a glassed in transducer for my standard 2D sonar and the Live has 2 transducer inputs. I know I'll need an adapter cable to plug in the current transducer. My dealer says to leave everything alone and forget the 3 in 1 as the Live will try and use it for my main sonar, but then a guy says you can set up your menus to have the main sonar hooked to the glassed in one. Someday would like to look at the Livesight transducer but then if both transducer ports are full....so maybe plugging it into the HDS 9 Live on the dash and networking it to the 12. Maybe I am making this more complicated but the Live's Active Imaging seems like a good thing to take advantage of. Maybe I'll just wait for the Sportshows to come to Minneapolis and hopefully get some legitimate options as it seems difficult to get a good strategy that take into account the advantages and capabilities.

2. Member
    Maybe I missed it, but is there a question in there somewhere?

3. Member
    Sorry, I was in a hurry this morning. I guess does any of this sound right?

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidAnderson View Post
    I have installed in my boat a HDS 12 Carbon in dash(Sonar), HDS 9 Carbon on dash(Chart), 3D Structure Scan and it's associated transducer mounted under step. Just took possession of both HDS Live 9 and 12 to replace existing units. Honestly don't really use 3D Structure scan but it is installed and is the source for my current side/down scan I do use.

A. The Live units came with a new 3 in 1 transducer. I want to take advantage of the newer technology. Lowrance chat line guy says to swap the 3 in 1 with the current LSS-2 transducer on my 3D Structure scan and it will work.

B. Having more questions about the Active Imaging I called the Technical help line, the guy at Lowrance says to switch out the transducers and hook the 3 in 1 to the live unit, you don't need the 3D structure scan if I am not using it.

C. I have a glassed in transducer for my standard 2D sonar and the Live has 2 transducer inputs. I know I'll need an adapter cable to plug in the current transducer. My dealer says to leave everything alone and forget the 3 in 1 as the Live will try and use it for my main sonar, but then a guy says you can set up your menus to have the main sonar hooked to the glassed in one.

D. Someday would like to look at the Livesight transducer but then if both transducer ports are full....so maybe plugging it into the HDS 9 Live on the dash and networking it to the 12.

Maybe I am making this more complicated but the Live's Active Imaging seems like a good thing to take advantage of. Maybe I'll just wait for the Sportshows to come to Minneapolis and hopefully get some legitimate options as it seems difficult to get a good strategy that take into account the advantages and capabilities.
    I broke up the text a bit as it relates to several minor categories. :)
    A. The Lowrance-guy is not correct. First of you don`t have an LSS-2 transducer (you have the StructureScan 3D transducer, connected to its module). The SS 3D you have is on par, and in several cases as a step up, compared to 3 in 1 when it comes to SideScan/ DownScan. Most with the SS3D never use the 3D-functionality, but have the SS 3D simply because of the great SideScan. At the moment I see no reason to swap a working SS 3D with something else.
    B. Pretty much answered in A.
    C. Yes, with the correct adapter you can use your existing shoot-through on the Live. Yes, it can be combined with another transducer as well. Your dealer is partially correct, but you choose which source for 2D to use in the sonar-menu so it`s not like the unit "overrides" what you wish to use.
    D. If you keep your SS 3D and stick with one 2D-transducer like your shoot-through, your ports are not full. :) Even if you fill up the ports on the console-unit with other transducers, you probably want the LiveSight up front, not at the console.

5. Member
    Team Colibri,

Thank you for the detailed response, one that makes sense and has definitely given me a clear strategy going forward. It is greatly appreciated.

6. Member
    I have the same set up, I’m wanting to order a live for the console where I’ve got a carbon and I’m wondering can I just plug and play the live with the 3-d and be good to go with the live unit? Also is that the right way to go ?

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam378 View Post
    I have the same set up, I’m wanting to order a live for the console where I’ve got a carbon and I’m wondering can I just plug and play the live with the 3-d and be good to go with the live unit? Also is that the right way to go ?
    You are cleared for flight. ;)