Networking Question

I am running a Helix 12 Mega DI G2N at the bow with link to an Ultrex. I have Lowrance HDS units at the console and am thinking about upgrading the console units. I will use 1 console unit for MEGA SI and sonar split screen and the other for chart. On occasion I put the sonar on 1 unit and the SI on the other while I am trolling side scanning. I know I need the Mega SI for the unit I will SI with, my question is to network all 3 units together and share info what should I use for the 2nd unit at the console? Does it also need to be Mega SI, or can it be any Helix 12? And can data be share between all 3 with 1 being G2N and the SI unit being G3N? Thanks for the help

Every model (CHIRP, DI, or SI) has 2D sonar.

For the console, the best installation would be the SI unit with its SI transducer on the transom and IF your boat is fiberglass, put a shoot-thru transducer in the bilge and connect both transducers to the SI unit. Put a CHIRP unit at the console with no transducer attached.

You can share any function to any of the units except mapping, just need at least one to provide the data to be shared.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

3. Member
    To make sure I understand correctly, I would not be able to share map data. Waypoints and map cards between units networked? Main thing I am trying to accomplish in networking with the bow is waypoints marked at the console unit show up at the bow as well as the same map (if I am running a card).

Quote Originally Posted by Kbass View Post
    To make sure I understand correctly, I would not be able to share map data. Waypoints and map cards between units networked? Main thing I am trying to accomplish in networking with the bow is waypoints marked at the console unit show up at the bow as well as the same map (if I am running a card).
    Cannot share mapping of any type with any connection.
    Waypoints are GPS data, you can share those.
    Mapping is not GPS and GPS is not mapping.

Waypoints will be Displayed on other units in a different color, they will not be written to other unit's memory.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

5. Member
    Thank you that clears it up and answers the questions I had!!

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne P. View Post
    Every model (CHIRP, DI, or SI) has 2D sonar.

For the console, the best installation would be the SI unit with its SI transducer on the transom and IF your boat is fiberglass, put a shoot-thru transducer in the bilge and connect both transducers to the SI unit. Put a CHIRP unit at the console with no transducer attached.
    The Chirp unit has arrived and the SI unit will arrive Friday(tomorrow). Now I just have to get them installed. I am new to birds, what do I need to network all 3 together? I need to get the shoot thru transducer you mentioned, does anyone have the part number for what I need? I bought a Helix 12 MSI

Quote Originally Posted by Kbass View Post
    The Chirp unit has arrived and the SI unit will arrive Friday(tomorrow). Now I just have to get them installed. I am new to birds, what do I need to network all 3 together? I need to get the shoot thru transducer you mentioned, does anyone have the part number for what I need? I bought a Helix 12 MSI
    You have to be specific on the exact models since both the G2N and G3N models are MEGA Imaging units. Use the entire model name.

IF you get the Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G3N, the shoot-thru transducer is the XP 9 HW.

The Y cable to connect the SI transducer and the shoot-thru to a display is the 9 M SIDB Y.

Ethernet is used to share data, an Ethernet cable has two ends to connect two devices together.
    To have more than two devices connected takes the AS ETH 5PXG Ethernet Switch.
    Then you need an Ethernet cable for each device to connect to the Switch.
    Also to connect an Ethernet cable to a Helix, takes an Ethernet adapter AS EC QDE
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL