Banned

Shutting down In-Ground Pools

We just bought a Home in South Carolina with an in-ground pool. We've never had one before so looking for some Do's and Don'ts.
    Biggest question is, should we shut it down for the winter/colder time of the year such as this or just keep it running. Presently we run it from 8PM to 8AM during the evening hours. But is there any benefit to keep it running ? Or just shut it down for 7 months?

2. Member
    If it's a salt pool you might as well shut it down. The salt to chlorine generator stops producing chlorine when it gets cold. Just put a cover on it.

3. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Landar View Post
    If it's a salt pool you might as well shut it down. The salt to chlorine generator stops producing chlorine when it gets cold. Just put a cover on it.
    Yes, it is a Salt water pool. Is a cover mandatory or just the best way of doing it?

Why not hire a professional your first season with a new pool so you have a baseline to refer to in coming years? Maybe even the company that installed the pool, if possible. Cheaper than doing too much/not enough year in and year out.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

5. Banned
    We do have somewhat of a pool company come every 3 weeks, clean, PH, check salt etc etc, because it is our 1st year with it. However not really comfortable with his knowledge of pools. His Grand father had the company but just retired 1 month ago and the grand son just doesn't seem to articulate things very well.

6. Member
    Evansville, Indiana and Eddyville, Kentucky
    I don’t shut mine down. I turn salt cell off and add chlorine tablet when needed.

I can’t stand to look at a pool cover. I would rather look at the pool water, even though we aren’t swimming in it

7. Member
    You will need to drain the pump and all piping if you shut it down. I drain ours and cover it to keep leaves and critters out and I tie an old boogie board to the side so when a critter falls in they can get out,even with the cover on. I’ve noticed a lot of my customers leave theirs running in the winter so it won’t freeze. It doesn’t get cold enough here to freeze moving water.Just to clarify,I don’t drain it completely,just below the skimmer.

8. Member
    The cover will keep debris/critters out, and also help to keep Chlorine residual.
    Look at troublefreepool.com

U leave the pumps running on a timer just not as long, during times of hard freeze the pumps should be running.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

10. Member
    I live in Fort Worth Tx and leave my pool on all year. In the winter, it runs automatically for three hours a day on a timer. It also vacuums the pool for 45 minutes. I have it set to automatically turn on at a very low speed when the temperature is below 35 degrees. I also have a salt system which shuts off at 50 deg F. I have never added chlorine in the winter months and the pool is pristine.

11. Banned
    You probably should be running the pool during the day in lieu of night in the future.

12. Bob G's pool boy
    Get a pro to come over and advise you. There are a lot of variables involved. It isn’t that hard to do and you will learn by watching him once and not need him next year, but a good local pool company is your best source for this info. Closing a pool correctly is important and if not done right can be pretty expensive.

"I am going to Eufala to just idle around"
    -Haus

***NEW*** 2023 Ford F150 XLT Super Crew 2.7L Ecoboost FX4 cause I am such a baller.
    2021 Phoenix 721/ Mercury 250 ProXS 4s with a bent ass trailer
    HDS16 live- Solix15 : Console
    HDS16 live W/AT - Garmin 126 W/ lvs34 - Solix12/ 360 : Bow
    Dual 10' Blades/ Lowrance Ghost/ Bobs Hydraulic Plate
    225ah cranking / 100ah trolling. Ionic/Relion lithium

Instagram @brettcarnright. Teamviewer: bCarnrite@33