Dry compartment fan system ?

I am wanting to build (or add) a fan or blower system to my 2002 518. I open my compartment lids every time I pull the boat into the garage but often I am left with a slight damp compartment here and there. I am wanting to build the dry compartment fan system using 1”-2” flex hose. I will then add some vents to each compartment. Has any ever built this system or maybe even purchased a similar system. I know a lot of the new boats have this installed.

2. Member
    After 1 season of fishing I think I turned mine maybe twice just to see if it works.
    2019 Ranger Z 518 L
    200 Merc Pro XS 4 Stroke
    2016 Chaparral 246 SSI
    350 Mercruiser
    On new boat # 10

3. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    As Dave [above] implies, a recent forum thread on this topic had several responses from people with vented lockers who never used the feature. A common reason for lack of use was not wanting to leave them running—or the power on, for that matter—for extended periods, for fear of running down the battery. Or having an electrical short and burning down the boat/garage. I’m not saying that you shouldn’t add this feature. We all have different routines, and maybe you’d be the guy who used his locker fans frequently.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

4. Member
    IMO I think you could spend the money and the effort on better stuff. I have one in my boat and have never used it. I also have a garage for boat storage and feel that its better just to pop all the lids when I get home and allow for the air to just circulate. To each his own?

BassPilot , did a thread back in July of 2016 , on a early 500 series. He did a lot of cool stuff and upgrades to his boat, I remember that he did a DIY , fan system in his rod lockers. Might look thread up , can't remember the title. Hope this helps.
    2001 Ranger 520DVX 225 mercury

HHC 14TH ENGINEERS COMBAT HEAVY
    FT.ORD ,CA
    US ARMY

6. Member
    Have the fans in my 520c, never use them. Would never pay to have it in a boat imo.

7. Member
    Thanks guys for all the responses. I think i will just use my portable blower fan as needed.

On my old 1998 warrior 2090sc boat I buzzed a grouping of 1.5" holes under the console and attached a bathroom vent fan there, I also had some holes between compartments and it worked well can set a timer to run the 110v fan, if you cover the boat you can run a flexible exhaust hose out by the motor.
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

9. Ranger Boats Moderator 22RangerZ520R's Avatar
    I've turned mine on just a couple times just to see if it works. Never use it otherwise...

I just open all the compartments while the boat is in the garage and let it all dry if I was out in the rain.

2022 Ranger Z520R | 2022 Platinum F250
    Apex 19 | (2) Apex 16's | Mega 360 | Mega Live

10. Member
    I’ve never used mine as others have said. In fact it’s been replaced twice do to a blade braking off. The one in there now is broken and makes all kinds of noise.
    Gun Control..... Is hitting your target every time

I use mine while pulling back home, it seems like it does dry things up some. When I get home I put it in the garage open all the lids and turn on a shop fan
    2019 Ranger Z520C
    2019 Mercury 250 FS

I have used mine a few times and they worked great. I feel like I have spent a lot of money on my boat and equipment and if this tool helps keep them in great condition then it’s worth it to me. I didn’t feel like they had a negative effect on battery life either.

Mike Beachy 2020 TRX 21 250 Pro XS 4S