On board charger

I have an onboard charger and wanted to see if it’s safe to leave plugged up through the winter? Hoping to not lose any batteries through the winter

thanks,
    Bruce
    2019 19trx w/ 225 V8 Pro XS

2. Member
    They claim it’s safe , but for me, after blowing the sides out of a battery on 2 different occasions, I just won’t do it anymore. I put it on the charger till fully charged after a trip then unplug. I plug it in every couple weeks for a few hours during the winter to keep em at full charge. Never had a problem doin this. I don’t wanna wake up or come home to fire in my shop.

3. Member
    I have left battery tenders on motorcycles as well as boats all winter long, never had a problem ever. Try to find one not made in China, they’ll do what they’re supposed to. JMHO

Quote Originally Posted by ch View Post
    They claim it’s safe , but for me, after blowing the sides out of a battery on 2 different occasions, I just won’t do it anymore. I put it on the charger till fully charged after a trip then unplug. I plug it in every couple weeks for a few hours during the winter to keep em at full charge. Never had a problem doin this. I don’t wanna wake up or come home to fire in my shop.
    Agree 100%. Thats how my dad and i do it as well. Its just not a good idea something goes wrong in that charger and it doesnt sense the voltage is full and throws alot of charge at it. Youll have a problem on your hands. Better to be safe than sorry.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Dual Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA SI
    Minnkota Ultrex.

Throughout the years, right after the boat was invented, I have used Dual Pro, MinnKota, ProMariner, & Have always left them plugged in 24/7. I have never had a problem with leaving them on. Only time I have unplugged them is to go fishing. Not saying that's the correct or best but it what I have done for years. I do check it to see if it is functioning OK. I was involved with ProMariner some years back & even got to test their 1st 4 bank charger, Pro Tournament 300 Quad ( back in the 90s). Not the sealed one they have today. I still have that charger in my Ranger & it works flawlessly. I also have a MK460PC in my Triton & never had a problem with it like some guys did. My advice is to do what you feel comfortable with. Don't rely on what someone (like me) tells you or what the manufacturer claims. Remember, anything man makes can break.

6. Member
    I have 4 boats with maintainers plugged in 24/7 except when gone over night. I did the same with oval dirt stock cars for years and my 2 motorcycles and RV battery get the same treatment. Batteries last much longer for me this way. To each his own.

I leave the batteries in the boat and plug in the charger once a month until the charger shows green for each battery.
    2006 Triton TR-21 XD, Mercury 225 Pro XS, S/N 1B287870

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob G. View Post
    I leave the batteries in the boat and plug in the charger once a month until the charger shows green for each battery.
    ^^^^This.....simple^^^^

9. Member
    Fire escape and good insurance.....leave em plugged in all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by MetalliStratos View Post
    Fire escape and good insurance.....leave em plugged in all the time.
    Yea ill pass insurance cant replace everything.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Minnkota Ultrex.

11. Member
    My boat is in a storage unit to save my garage space, I guess my two amp trickle charger will take out my boat along with a lot of others and a bunch of RVs. I guess me and a lot of people I know have just been extremely lucky for the past 40 years. A lot of things would have to fail, not only the two amp trickle charge would have to somehow get past internal safety features, so would your breaker it’s plugged into. worried about that, I don’t know how anybody can sleep having a furnace in their house, or 30 or 40 are things plugged in 24/7. I’m going to use a charger as it was intended, maybe I’m crazy.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TritonTRXV8 View Post
    Yea ill pass insurance cant replace everything.
    That was a tongue in cheek comment....I'm not comfortable leaving stuff plugged in all the time

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by itsahog View Post
    My boat is in a storage unit to save my garage space, I guess my two amp trickle charger will take out my boat along with a lot of others and a bunch of RVs. I guess me and a lot of people I know have just been extremely lucky for the past 40 years. A lot of things would have to fail, not only the two amp trickle charge would have to somehow get past internal safety features, so would your breaker it’s plugged into. worried about that, I don’t know how anybody can sleep having a furnace in their house, or 30 or 40 are things plugged in 24/7. I’m going to use a charger as it was intended, maybe I’m crazy.
    That's a tough one...cant go down there all the time to unplug etc....as long as no people are there what do ya do?

14. Member
    That's a tough one...cant go down there all the time to unplug etc....as long as no people are there what do ya do?
    what you do is not worry about it. You can worry about a toaster, a coffee pot, even a Chinese made lamp. Life‘s too short. Plus trickle chargers are made to be left on your battery all the time, and as I stated earlier I’ve done it for 40 years with boats and Motorcycles, and I know a lot of other people that have, I’ve never seen a problem with one, not even once. That said, you should do whatever you’re comfortable with. But if you’re uncomfortable with that, you’re probably going to be unplugging a lot of other things as well. I’ve heard of more fire starting from cell phone chargers that I have battery tenders.

During the winter season on the boat in the garage I charge them for 24 hrs every two week or about. If there is a cold snap coming and its close to charge time I'll plug it in. The one outside the same except if its going to be 15 or below I'll just leave it plugged in during the real cold times.

Steve McQueen "Le Mans"
    Own the Champ! Life Long Petty Fan!

2003 ChampioN 2006 250 Merc. XB, Prop By Mark C.
    2002 Ranger Okeechobee Special EvinRude Ficht 90 / 9.9 4-Stroke GLAD to have a Get me to the Dock motor maybe!

Quote Originally Posted by itsahog View Post
    what you do is not worry about it. You can worry about a toaster, a coffee pot, even a Chinese made lamp. Life‘s too short. Plus trickle chargers are made to be left on your battery all the time, and as I stated earlier I’ve done it for 40 years with boats and Motorcycles, and I know a lot of other people that have, I’ve never seen a problem with one, not even once. That said, you should do whatever you’re comfortable with. But if you’re uncomfortable with that, you’re probably going to be unplugging a lot of other things as well. I’ve heard of more fire starting from cell phone chargers that I have battery tenders.
    Exactly.........Just make sure you unplug your cell phone, don't put your Vaping thingy in your pocket, & oh yeah, why in the hell would you want a lithium battery in your boat. Oh that's right, lighter, roomy & you get 1 more mph........LOL.
    OK seriously, on-board chargers are "supposed" to cut down to trickle mode (maintenance) after the battery is charged. I don't know about the car chargers that can be used to start a dead battery. If you're using one of those, I hop you don't live near me.

That was a tongue in cheek comment....I'm not comfortable leaving stuff plugged in all the time
    Oh gotcha sorry my mistake.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Minnkota Ultrex.