Carbon 12 update

I getting ready to buy a 3 in1 to replace my total scan transducer. I'm not happy with DI & SI images. Carbon 12 was bought may 2018 & is using the 4.0 software( if I looked at the right place).

Will the 3 in 1 improve images & should I update to the 19.1 ???

Other option is to sell carbon & go with a Helix 12.

Thanks

2. Member
    Yes on updating software, yes on improved SideScan, probably no on improved DownScan. Remember to save waypoints and do a hard reset after updating the software.

3. Member
    I can't keep track of the names of these things.

I have the Carbon 12 with the SS3 module and whatever standard transducer that shipped with. Is there something available now that will produce better side images?
    2023 Puma STS

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TNReb View Post

I have the Carbon 12 with the SS3 module and whatever standard transducer that shipped with. Is there something available now that will produce better side images?
    Some peeps think the SS3d produces the best side images, while other prefer the 3n1. Do a search on this forum and you will see 1 or more threads which depict comparisons. You can then decide for yourself which you think is best. Also, the 2n1 is the same as 3n1, except it doesn't have a 2d element and is about $50 cheaper. Since you already have a 2d ducer, this would be an option for you.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TNReb View Post

No, you have the best (hardware) already.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Team Colibri View Post
    No, you have the best (hardware) already.
    I agree. You should be getting great side imaging with your 3D StructureScan. If not, I would consider looking how you have the 3D StructureScan transducer mounted to make sure it is level when the boat is moving at about 3 mph. Level both side to side and front to back. I use a Transducer Shield and Saver (BBC Sponsor) and mount mine to my jackplate to ensure it is properly mounted and secure.
    ciao,
    Marc