Vernatherm working correctly?

83EL77S
    J4758585

I removed the Vernatherm and tested it in on the stove, the tip pushed out in a few minutes. I let it cool for a few minutes but it did require firm pressure to push it back down. It was in when I removed it so I think it is working properly.

The spring-loaded plastic piece on the top of the thermostat housing seems to be functioning properly as well.

Sound right?

2. Ohio Fishing Reports Moderator omcforever's Avatar
    May be tough to find some of the parts and then they are $$$$$(thats a one off bastard motor and I would call it quits or just run it til it dies like Jerry says) It shouldnt be sticking open but based on all your issues and descriptions, may have been like that for years. If it was someone that is trying to resurrect it from the dead, I would say, replace the vernatherms and relief valve and gaskets if you can find em. Me, I would swap it out for a good 90-115. Just me but I would stop throwing time and money at it and either run it or replace it.
    Last edited by omcforever; 11-14-2019 at 09:54 AM.

Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill !!

3. Ohio Fishing Reports Moderator omcforever's Avatar
    You can get by with a sticking open thermostat/vernatherm(not good on motor) but one that sticks closed is very bad. Your motor/your decision.

4. Member
    I do not think it's sticking open or closed, I think it's working properly. I'm just sitting here playing with the motor until the other parts arrive

5. Ohio Fishing Reports Moderator omcforever's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by leckbass View Post
    I do not think it's sticking open or closed, I think it's working properly. I'm just sitting here playing with the motor until the other parts arrive
    You ask if what you found is ok or not then dis-agree.......Your motor. Have fun.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by omcforever View Post
    You ask if what you found is ok or not then dis-agree.......Your motor. Have fun.
    Let me ask a different way...how much pressure is required to push it in after it cools?

7. Ohio Fishing Reports Moderator omcforever's Avatar
    The vernatherm element is pushed back by the vernatherm spring during operation/cooling. That doesnt mean it cant be sticking. It should go back smoothly with minimal pressure with no areas of resistance without aid of the spring. If any doubt, replace it.

8. Ohio Fishing Reports Moderator omcforever's Avatar
    Find an OMC service manual/not Clymer or Seloc for your model(especially if your plan to keep tinkering with it). If I remember, they tell how to correctly test em. Post #7 is a pretty good gauge though.

9. Member
    I appreciate your help. I repeated my experiment last night. Put it in the water on the stove, it pushed out. I took it out and let it cool, but I let it cool for 30 min instead of a few minutes, it went back in with much less pressure.

I appreciate your help, I do think this is working properly.

I hope I'm done tinkering with this motor... I do like tinkering, but I really like fishing more.

The head gaskets, deflectors, and the bypass cover gasket should be in this weekend and hoping to have the whole book back together this weekend.

The true test is using an infrared temp gun on the top of the cylinderheads to check them after running then idling for about 5-10 minutes.
    -----

A Technical troubleshooter possessing more tools than talent !

11. Ohio Fishing Reports Moderator omcforever's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SEAHORSE View Post
    The true test is using an infrared temp gun on the top of the cylinderheads to check them after running then idling for about 5-10 minutes.

12. Member
    never heard that term before? big in the aircraft world- what does the valve do? airplanes have no coolant? looks like a thermostat for some fluid?
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mactlman View Post
    never heard that term before? big in the aircraft world- what does the valve do? airplanes have no coolant? looks like a thermostat for some fluid?
    It is a thermostat. When it heats up that little tip pushes out and allows water to flow, when it cools down the spring pushes the tip back in

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by leckbass View Post
    It is a thermostat. When it heats up that little tip pushes out and allows water to flow, when it cools down the spring pushes the tip back in
    uses wax which is still being done on cars these days.

thats what i assumed but not sure what airplanes use them for? will ask next time at airport
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools