New England Forum Moderator twitch's Avatar

What are the alarms on a fastrike ?

Can’t find a list in my manual or anywhere like which alarm is fuel restriction and over temp low oil and so on please let me know where I can find a list. Like short beep one long beep and so on
    Last edited by twitch; 11-13-2019 at 05:47 PM.
    1990 374V Ranger Still kickin' bass after all these years

2. Member
    Mike

2019 Ranger 520L w/ 250HO ETEC G2
    2011 Tracker 175TXW w/ 75HO ETEC

3. New England Forum Moderator twitch's Avatar
    Thanks Mike ,so how do you know if it's an over heat alarm or a fuel restriction if there both a long steady beep????
    1990 374V Ranger Still kickin' bass after all these years

4. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Hot alarm will toss you into SLOW mode, Fuel restriction will come on about 4000 RPM and will go away when you back off the motor.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChampioNman View Post
    Hot alarm will toss you into SLOW mode, Fuel restriction will come on about 4000 RPM and will go away when you back off the motor.
    I know you’re the main Johnson guy here but I’d have to disagree with this. Fuel restriction alarm will sound no matter what the RPMs are and won’t go away. This past summer I emptied one tank (on purpose to use old gas), and thought I switched the tanks but ended up turning the gas off. The boat alarm sounded and would run until it was out of gas then stall. It took me a few minutes to figure it out because I thought it was an overheat alarm. My wife pointed out that the primer bulb was sucked dry and that’s what made me realize it was a fuel alarm. It had the same alarm as an overheat and went away once the valve turned the gas on. The alarm never went away when below a certain rpm. The only differentiating factor between the two would be the engine putting itself into guardian mode.

This is just my personal experience.
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

6. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ECobb91 View Post
    I know you’re the main Johnson guy here but I’d have to disagree with this. Fuel restriction alarm will sound no matter what the RPMs are and won’t go away. This past summer I emptied one tank (on purpose to use old gas), and thought I switched the tanks but ended up turning the gas off. The boat alarm sounded and would run until it was out of gas then stall. It took me a few minutes to figure it out because I thought it was an overheat alarm. My wife pointed out that the primer bulb was sucked dry and that’s what made me realize it was a fuel alarm. It had the same alarm as an overheat and went away once the valve turned the gas on. The alarm never went away when below a certain rpm. The only differentiating factor between the two would be the engine putting itself into guardian mode.

Under normal operating conditions if a fuel restriction is encountered the alarm will normally sound at approx 4K RPM, in a self inflicted situation like yours then that statement is true. It comes on because the Vacuum level has reached a high level to alert you to a fuel starvation/restriction so you don't run the motor lean. That's the purpose of the vacuum switch.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ECobb91 View Post

The fuel restriction alarm will activate at all rpm's, depending on the degree of restriction. Very seldom will a restriction be as severe as you encountered. We in the field are in agreement that most fuel restriction alarms will activate first at 4000 rpm or higher and turn off when the rpm's are lowered. I don't think I have run into a fuel restriction problem that first set off the alarm at anything below about 4000 rpm.