Thread: fury or tempest

fury or tempest

209 with 225 pro xs. which is faster prop, fury or tempest and what pitch you think,running 26'' fury 4 now

A 26 fury 3 will be a great choice...
    Sterling 22XS / Mercury Pro XS V8

3. Member
    My experience with the 3 blade Fury/225 ProXS... Good holeshot. Capable of puttin boat/trailer/ tow vehicle in the parking lot when loading. Decent getting to 65-70 mpg then takes forever to get the last 7-8 mph the prop is capable of. It struggles to carry the bow and stern at speed. It lifts the stern no problem but, unlike the Fury 4, can’t seem to lift the bow where it needs to be on a 209. It’s an ok fishing prop, sorta kinna, there are better fishing props to be had. I too run a 26p Fury 4. Loosin’ 4-5 mph vs a Trophy but the way it carries the boat in rough water is worth the speed loss to me. The Tempest is going to out run the Fury 3 - once you get it worked on a tad.

4. Member
    what pitch trophy would you suggest, yupitsme. thanks

Fishing prop..worked Bravo. If you want to really fly, worked Tempest. Croxton can work miracles with both.
    "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

6. Member
    27 Tempest worked by Croxton = fastest top end on my Intim w/200EFI. I have tried many...

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by williambaker View Post
    what pitch trophy would you suggest, yupitsme. thanks
    My engine turns a 27p Trophy to +/- 5800. Best solo runs with that prop is 81.3. I have a 25p Trophy as my summer prop but truth be told I haven’t bolted it on in 2-3 years. My ‘96 w/ ‘97 ProMax ran best with a 26p Trophy.

Ive run both a 26p and 28p Bravo with my current set up. If you go that way be prepared to have them tweaked a tad. In stock form one was too much and the other not enough.

I’ve been running the 26p Fury 4 and liked it a lot - until yesterday. Lost a blade and a coil within 50 yards of each other. Local shop had a flawless 26p Trophy so I’ve got that bolted on. We’ll see how that goes.

8. Member
    good info. please let me know how the trophy works. thanks, rpm and speed

9. Member
    Max speed yesterday with the 26p Trophy was 75.change. That was with ~40 gallons of fuel and a stupid heavy tournament tackle load. I’m pretty sure I’ve got a tracker valve going belly up and some injectors that are in need of Don’s TLC. I didn’t get rpms yesterday and will make a point of getting that info today. Conditions are really good for running. Right at freezing temps w/very light wind being just enough to knock the “glass” off the water surface. I did glance down yesterday and the rpms are between 5800-6000 but I’ll put the smartcraft gauges to display digital tach and get some better numbers this morning.

10. Member
    Max speed I hit with the 26p Trophy this weekend was 75.1 Prop slip was a tad high. When I calculate my prop slip I add an inch to account for cupping. My results this weekend are showing somewhere between 12.25% and 13%(w/27p prop). If I drop the prop size down to the actual 26p I was running the prop slip numbers improve to 8.88% to 9.68%. Historically with the 1" added for cupping I still got slip numbers below 10%.

Historically my boat has turned 78-80 mph w/27p Trophy @ ~5800-5900 rpms. I sold the 27p Trophy so can't bolt it on to see. Trophy still struggles to load the boat on the trailer at the end of the day. The 26p Fury 4 had no problems in that regard.

I'm pulling the rails and injectors this week and sending them to Don. I know(strongly suspect) a bad tracker valve. Engine hard to start(at times) and smoked @ startup when it was hard to start. Other times it started just fine. I may still have a bad coil as sometimes 62mph was tops other times 75. For sure there's something bad just gotta figger out what.

11. Member
    thanks for info. may try a tempest. see what happens. didn't know if 3 blade tempest or fury in same pitch would run same

12. Member
    thanks for info. may try a tempest. see what happens. didn't know if 3 blade tempest or fury in same pitch would run same
    Good deal.... That will be your fastest setup. Just be aware - If you're running rivers or river like lakes requiring a good biting prop in the turns the Tempest may disappoint. I just ordered another new 26p Fury 4. The 26p Trophy I paid 250.00 bucks for seems to run the same speed as the Fury so why would I chunk down 515.00 for a 750.00 dollar prop? I like the way the boat attacks the big water on Toledo Bend with the Fury 4 on it.

Might want to step down a pitch on the Fury 3 blade. What I've heard in the past. The Fury 3 I ran/tested was a 26p and all the 225 could handles. It was box stock.

13. Member
    thanks, do you think the tempest or fury 3 would be faster.

14. Member
    thanks, do you think the tempest or fury 3 would be faster.
    Croxton worked tempest... "Typically" outta the box Tempest sucks on holeshot.