Thread: Tr 21 vs tr21x

Tr 21 vs tr21x

Is there much difference between the two boats? Would i notice a difference in handling and speed? How about the front and rear deck is there much difference there?

2. Member
    the r will run faster the x will fish much better

3. Member
    Ok. What did you mean it will fish better?

4. Member
    Much wider front deck on the X boats. The TR may be a little faster, but you'll have to be able to drive it to get that extra MPH or two. I've owned both. IMO, the X boat is the better platform.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jbh3 View Post
    Much wider front deck on the X boats. The TR may be a little faster, but you'll have to be able to drive it to get that extra MPH or two. I've owned both. IMO, the X boat is the better platform.
    Agree. I have had a TR and an X, my 2005 21X was great boat and I appreciated the wider front deck over the TR. I also found that the TR was more apt at dipping a wave than my X. Standing on the trolling motor in waves gave me wet feet more often than my X did.

6. Member
    The boat I'm lpoking at is a 2006 tr21x with merc. Optimal 225 with 500 plus hours. That seems like a lot to me. He's asking 17900

7. Member
    500 isn't a lot for that old of a motor at all

8. Member
    Ok, what questions should I be asking as far as the engine goes? I asked about compression and he didn't know. What about other engine parts? The price is right I think I just don't want any surprises, since I live far away from seller

9. Member
    He can get a print out from the motor's computer to show you how the engine has been ran, if it has a bunch of fault codes and if it has been abused. If you get the serial number and have Don check it you can find out even more.

10. Member
    Ok so I assume that motor would be an efi?

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mrbassmark View Post
    Ok so I assume that motor would be an efi?
    Motor is a DFI. That's not a lot of hours on an engine of that vintage. Step over to the Merc 3 Liter forum below. Check out the FAQ pinned at the top.

12. Member
    I have a 2005 TR-21X with a 225 Optimax on it and it has been a great boat. My son has an 07 TR-20X2 that is a nice boat too, but it is not built as good as my boat is. He has several stress cracks and some other issues that I have not had with my boat. It has been said that the 2004 to the 2006 X boats are some of the best boats Triton has ever built. Of course that is an opinion of somebody's (not mine) but regardless, the X boats are good boats for sure.

As was mentioned, 400 hours on a boat like that is not very much actually. I believe I have a little less than 700 on mine. That boat will chine on you but it is very controllable, just remember that those hulls like the motor high. I run mine at 21/2" below the pad. That is the sweet spot and it don't start chinning until I get up close to 70 but it is controllable once you learn how to drive it.

13. Member
    Ok thanks, I've never rode in a triton but have always heard good things. I just want to make sure I'm buying something decent. I currently own a 2000 stratos that I like. I just want a newer boat with more speed and newer controls.