Weston Peacocks - December

I'll be in Weston for a very short time in mid-December (12/10-12/11). I'll likely have a couple hours on Tue afternoon and then Wed evening, although it'll be dark then. Would like to catch a Peacock. Don't really care that much about size or numbers, just want to catch one. Lots of questions...

Started research and it sounds like stickbaits/jerkbaits are the way to go. Anything else to consider that time of the year? Are the fish still active?

Any suggestions on where to start? I'm staying near Royal Palm Blvd & Weston Rd

Also concerned about parking and such...from what I've read most lots are signed with tow away warnings. I assume those are not to be ignored.

Just don't know what I don't know

Happy to share steelhead/smallmouth/pike spots in lovely Northeast Ohio if anyone is venturing north (for your sake, I hope not)

Thanks

2. Member
    Weston has a lot of lakes that are legal to fish on and accessible by foot. Park at one of the many shopping centers and hoof it from there. If it happens to be cold on the days you are in town, its going to be really tough to look for Pea's, especially if its late in the day. They do not fair well in cold water. Good luck!!
    2019 Vexus 1880 w/ Mercury Pro-XS 115 4-stroke, MK 80lb Fortex, Twin Helix 7 Birds, Pro II PowerPole. AEguideservice.com

3. Member
    BJs bait and Tackle is right on the edge of Weston and has shiners. Open till 6pm. Get a dozen and hit literally any bridge, culvert or spillway you see in the area on google maps and you should be able to get into some.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SFL_BASSIN View Post
    BJs bait and Tackle is right on the edge of Weston and has shiners. Open till 6pm. Get a dozen and hit literally any bridge, culvert or spillway you see in the area on google maps and you should be able to get into some.
    True... live bait fishing for Pea's will increase your odds of hooking with one.
    2019 Vexus 1880 w/ Mercury Pro-XS 115 4-stroke, MK 80lb Fortex, Twin Helix 7 Birds, Pro II PowerPole. AEguideservice.com

5. Member
    Update to a post nobody cares about lol.

Wound up with only about 30 minutes on Tue (12/10) afternoon. Parked at a restaurant and walked to a bridge I ID'd on Google Maps. Throwing a Rapala X-Rap #8 in Parrot. Caught 4 Peacocks. One (I think) was Speckled, a couple Butterflys and one that looked like a hybrid. Nothing huge, biggest maybe 15". Was super fun. Wish I had more time.

Didn't fish Wed evening, caught an early flight back to the winter wonderland.

Quote Originally Posted by bigfish85 View Post

Wound up with only about 30 minutes on Tue (12/10) afternoon. Parked at a restaurant and walked to a bridge I ID'd on Google Maps. Throwing a Rapala X-Rap #8 in Parrot. Caught 4 Peacocks. One (I think) was Speckled, a couple Butterflys and one that looked like a hybrid. Nothing huge, biggest maybe 15". Was super fun. Wish I had more time.

Good times! Glad you had a chance to catch a Peacock.

7. Member
    4 More then You had before.
    1996 Stratos 201 pro xl
    1996 Johnson Faststrike J150GLEDB

8. Member

Congrats on your catch!! Appreciate the update.

9. Member

I was watching your post, we love flying to south florida to fish for peacock bass. We usually hire a guide and tear them up. The down side is the cost of 600.00 per day (that is for me and my daughter) If you ever need a guide let me know i use three different guides and all are great!