Merc 250 4S upgrade – Tilt & Trim Gauge display

Merc 250 4S: 2B586341

My set-up is a Smartcraft SC1000 square Merc Monitor (79-87986K21).

The problem I am encountering, is with the display on my SC100 Tilt & Trim gauge (79-879914-K11). After utilizing the Tilt & Trim bezel switch control either in the up or down position
    and releasing the handle. The needle on the gauge keeps traveling as much as 1/4 of the gauge. As a result, I can’t get an accurate reading of the Tilt & Trim position of my motor.

Thanks in advance for all assistance.
    Last edited by Bollee; 11-13-2019 at 07:33 PM.

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    ^^^ Important clarification needed.

Also, you described a trim gauge (need to determine if it's Analog or a System Link gauge). If in doubt, a picture of the gauge (and gauge BACK) will help to determine what you have.

Thanks!

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    As requested by Don "The Fantastic" Weed. He's the greatest !!!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Rennie: Let's determine which Smartcraft PRIMARY instrument you have, and watch trim on THAT instrument to see if the numeric values (0-25) are fluctuating like the SYSTEM LINK trim gauge is.

You may simply have a bad System Link Gauge (which appears to be an earlier gauge version than the Tach and others).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    1Sharphook,

"did you cobble this system together from Ebay" incorrect I bought them at various garage sales !!!!!

Actually, I ordered them through my local Merc dealer.
    Last edited by EuropeanAM; 11-18-2019 at 03:26 PM. Reason: See Announcements

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Let's play nice... Rennie, I actually though the same thing just because you have mis-matched gauges in play. That usually doesn't happen when you buy through a dealer.

Your local Merc Dealer apparently sold you a mis-matched set of gauges. The trim gauge is not even from the same "line" as the others.

I would return it to them and obtain the correct one.

7. Member
    Don,

Sorry I will try to play nice, however I felt insulted regarding 1sharphook's response.

What gauges are mis-matched ?

I purchased the
    Smartcraft SC1000 square System Monitor (79-87986K21) on 12/01/08 from you.

The following gauges I purchased from my local Mercury dealer.
    Tach - 79-8M0052875
    Temp - 79-8M0052863
    Oil pre - 79-8M0052869
    Fuel - 79-895291A41
    Water Pre - 79-879918-K11 (Merc SC100 SystemLink)
    Trim - 79879914-K11
    (Merc SC100 SystemLink)

I paid $735 for these gauges.

I have provided a comparison pic of the Garmin EchoMap 93SV and the trim gauge
    79879914-K11 (Merc SC100 SystemLink).

Sorry for the clarity and rotation problem.

As you will note The Garmin gauge is at 1 qtr and the Trim gauge (across from MENU ) is at 3/4 qtr.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bollee; 11-24-2019 at 11:07 AM.

8. Member
    I think there's some confusion with regard to terminology that has lead to some misunderstanding.

A Mercmonitor is a stand alone gauge. An SC1000 Mercury System monitor is a stand alone gauge. A Smartcraft SC1000 Tachometer/Speedometer is a paired gauge set (can be split). Each one is different and each is shown in reply #2.

A Smartcraft System Monitor is not a Mercmonitor nor is a Mercmonitor a Smartcraft System Monitor and neither of them are a Smartcraft Tach/Speedo.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    You have a System Monitor. You are correct- you purchased it from us in December of 2008.

The first three System Link Gauges (Tach, Temp and Oil Pressure) are the CURRENT design White Face (glass lens) gauges.

The items below are a PREVIOUS VERSION (and do not match the above three gauges cosmetically):

Fuel - 79-895291A41
    Water Pre - 79-879918-K11 (Merc SC100 SystemLink)
    Trim - 79879914-K11
    (Merc SC100 SystemLink)

In regards to the Trim gauge, look carefully at your System Link Trim Gauge. It's dial has a VERY wide swing for the TRIM range. And then a very short swing for the TILT area.

Your Garmin is showing the entire range as "symmetrical", so it may "look" like they are reading differently (when they are actually showing the same information).

10. Member
    Don,

Your Garmin is showing the entire range as "symmetrical", so it may "look" like they are reading differently (when they are actually showing the same information).

So does the explain why, a
    fter utilizing the Tilt & Trim bezel switch control either in the up or down position
    and releasing the handle. The needle on the gauge keeps traveling as much as 1/4 of the gauge ?

You have always been a true "gift" , always giving.

[/QUOTE]

11. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Not sure which switch you are referring to as the "bezel switch control" (you have one in the shift handle, one in the cowling, and perhaps a blinker style and/or bow switch).

Which GAUGE display is it that you feel continues to travel?

12. Member
    It's the blinker style on steering wheel. The Trim - 79879914-K11 (Merc SC100 SystemLink).

In the pic it's the gauge across from the Menu icon displaying at 3/4.

13. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    The display on the System Link Gauge will often lag by as much as 1/2 - 1 second (due to the gauge having to see and respond to packets passing on the network).

Numeric data on the System Monitor, and NMEA-2000 outputs may be more precise (with less lag).