Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Ya, I Live on Rainy Lake! basscla's Avatar

No Deer Hunting Threads Lately....

Wife & I are heading to IL to hunt next week. Looking forward to getting back into my stand. Who else is hunting and how have you done.

My wife and I have been hunting our lease with our 6 year old. He usually sits for about 30-45 minutes before he is ready to go. So far, I have had a 10 point and my wife has had a big nine point on camera less than an hour after our son decided it was time to leave. I show him the pics and tell him this is why we need to be more patient. His response is “ We will get him next time.”

Going with with dad (82) Sat. In NY. The old boy gets more excited than a 5 yr old at Christmas about hunting. Nightly phone calls, on this and that on the deer and which stand, rut no rut. When he shoots one, its full out loosing his mind, although he is in triple digits on the kill numbers. Fun to sit back and watch and I always pray he is the one who gets the shot!

I've sat probably 8 times so far. I shot a doe during bow season on opening day and since then I've let everything walk. The rut is finally starting to pick up here in VA with the full moon this week. Last Saturday I had a nice buck chase a doe by me but they stayed in the thicket and I couldn't get a shot. We've got lots of big ones on camera, but only one has showed his face so far and my buddy missed him on opening day of muzzleloader.

Good luck in Illinois! I'm jealous. Just had a buddy get back from a leased property in IL this past weekend and he took a 160" deer with his bow.
    2022 Skeeter ZXR20
    Yamaha 250 SHO

5. Hunting & Gun Lodge Moderator Roddy's Avatar
    My two sons and I went for a quick bow hunting trip to Kansas last week. We only got to hunt 4 days but all saw good buck and my youngest scored his first Bow killed buck on the trip.

Last edited by Roddy; 11-13-2019 at 03:17 PM.
    SIMMONS CUSTOM BOATS
    Anderson Services LLC
    " Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't"

Bring Back Gluten!!!

6. Member
    Dang those are some good bucks! ^^^

I usually use Bow season to stock my freezer. I took 2 large does 1st and 3rd week. Muzzleloader season opened 1st saturday in November. I took an 8pt on opening Sunday and a 7pt on Monday. Saving my last buck tag for a brute I saw last year. Usually don't see many of the bucks until rut fully kicks in, which is starting to happen now
    Azure AZ200 (with stuff like cupholders, bathroom and table)

8. Banned
    I am in Kansas, scored an 8 pointer on veterans day
    Attached Images Attached Images

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tysdad View Post
    I am in Kansas, scored an 8 pointer on veterans day
    Nice one!! I gave it up years ago but still have family that owns land and our grandkids hunt them still. I enjoy seeing the big deer the guys get. Kansas and Nebraska have some really good deer.

10. Member
    I have not missed a weekend since bow season opened in September. Probably seen at least 80 deer, some decent bucks included. Just have not been able to connect with one that I set as my goal for this year. Hopefully this week as I will hunt Thursday - Sunday.

11. Proud American Union local16's Avatar
    I don’t deer hunt anymore but live amongst some big deer. They started chasing some last week and today watched a couple good shooters running does.

Dale Sinclair original

12. Member
    My son and I watched a guy through our binoculars about 600 yds away shoot a small deer, he was about 100 yds from the deer when he took the shot. He and his buddy went over to the deer, then got back in their side x side and drove away. I told my son I'll bet he illegally shot a doe & didn't want to get caught. We drove over to where the deer lay, it was a small 4 point. We took pics and began reporting it to the KY dept. fish wildlife, (killing a deer without calling in the tag).

Had a buddy hunting in area where they were last seen driving off, we give him a call, he confronts the two guys, they claim they couldn't find the deer (lie, we watched them stand right over the dead animal). He convinced them to go back or the Game Warden would be called. We offered to help them field dress, carry it about 100 yards up hill to the atv to load it up.

I put 2 & 2 together, he just didn't want to use his buck tag on such a small deer, he should have never pulled the trigger. We made sure he called the tag # in.

Quote Originally Posted by spinningreel View Post
    My son and I watched a guy through our binoculars about 600 yds away shoot a small deer, he was about 100 yds from the deer when he took the shot. He and his buddy went over to the deer, then got back in their side x side and drove away. I told my son I'll bet he illegally shot a doe & didn't want to get caught. We drove over to where the deer lay, it was a small 4 point. We took pics and began reporting it to the KY dept. fish wildlife, (killing a deer without calling in the tag).

Had a buddy hunting in area where they were last seen driving off, we give him a call, he confronts the two guys, they claim they couldn't find the deer (lie, we watched them stand right over the dead animal). He convinced them to go back or the Game Warden would be called. We offered to help them field dress, carry it about 100 yards up hill to the atv to load it up.

I put 2 & 2 together, he just didn't want to use his buck tag on such a small deer, he should have never pulled the trigger. We made sure he called the tag # in.
    Good for you!

People like that really get under my skin.
    2022 Skeeter ZXR20
    Yamaha 250 SHO

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    I was looking at emails Saturday morning only to look down at a doe that was looking straight at me from a distance of maybe 15 feet - BUSTED! She was so dumb I was able to stand up and nock an arrow but my cushion moved making a tiny sound and she bolted. I did kill a doe with my SUV two weeks ago and that cost State Farm a couple of thousand plus I had my $250 deductible. I did not pick up the deer, feel bad about that but it was midnight, I was tired, and didn't feel like gutting a deer. It was gone the following morning. My wife almost nailed a nice buck on Sunday morning, full on stand on the brakes to miss it by 2 feet. Need to get back out but darned cold in the morning and the stripers are busting at 6 AM within casting distance from the dock. Neighbor nailed a pair of 36" fish this morning in 20 degree temps. Too many options and sleeping in has been winning.
    2018 Ranger RT188 SC Black/115 hp Yamaha SHO 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - north
    2018 Ranger RT188 DC Black/115 hp Merc Pro XS 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - south
    14' Mirrorcraft tin boat (ancient) with a 9.9 Mercury 4-stroke, no electronics; catches fish anyway

15. Member
    Heading to Indiana Friday morning to hunt this weekend.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by spinningreel View Post

Good for you, thing is DB like that will still hunt and shoot a bigger buck he just won’t check it in.

Blanked during archery season. Rifle buck season starts this Saturday. Will be single digit temps in the morning. Can't wait!
    2006 Triton TR-21 XD, Mercury 225 Pro XS, S/N 1B287870

Quote Originally Posted by basscat21 View Post
    Going with with dad (82) Sat. In NY. The old boy gets more excited than a 5 yr old at Christmas about hunting. Nightly phone calls, on this and that on the deer and which stand, rut no rut. When he shoots one, its full out loosing his mind, although he is in triple digits on the kill numbers. Fun to sit back and watch and I always pray he is the one who gets the shot!
    Awesome
    There was a time that I didn't fish but I cannot remember it.

19. Banned
    I used to hunt all the time. My family still does. Anymore though I just don’t want kill anything else hat I don’t have to. Anybody else on here go through this. Lol

IMG_0174.jpg

I got this one on November 4th.
    2016 Tracker V175 Pro Guide/115Mercury Four stroke.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast