Short fat vs long skinny...largemouth

Let's keep it clean...

Thinking if there are any generalities of lmb preferring short fat bait such as a zman ned vs a long skinny like 5" trick worm or roboworm style.

Any studies or experience?
    Where are the BIG ones? When are we going?
    LOOKING for a Great deal on a Slightly used 20-21' Boat.

Really, really interesting thought. I've always tended toward more "broad" (so more short fat) baits here in MN where the vast majority of our largemouth have bluegills making up 90+% of their diet just figuring that's the profile they hone in on. Then again, I've had a ton of success by using thin almost "wispy" baits on a drop shot when broader bodied stuff isn't working.

I do recall a study that Berkley did about what bass tend toward when it comes to a crawfish imitation---they preferred a "stick profile" with no appendages at all (think TRD)---but they figured they wouldn't be able to sell that since it doesn't look good to anglers, so they just tried to incorporate it into other designs as best they could. Obviously not the same thing, but it does make me think that Berkley might be the place to look for that type of study. In that vein, here's one I came across that talks about preferred forage size in general, though it doesn't quite land on profile: http://www.berkley-fishing.com/Berkl...es-matter.html
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

3. Member
    I like long for bit bass. 10" worms, 6" to 10" swimbaits and topwaters, large jerkbaits.
    For numbers, hard to be small cranks and jerkbaits.

I have noticed that when the cold water Ned bite is going strong, many of the bass I catch are stuffed with craws, usually spots and smallies. Largemouth will certainly eat them too, but the ones spewing craws all over the boat are the spots and smallies. My rationale, for what it is worth, is the bass are feeding on the bottom for craws, see that Ned, and eat it because, well it looks edible.

For clarity, Ned bait for me is a cut in half Zinker on a mushroom head. I guess you could call it a fat worm.

If you read Ned's Infisherman blog, he has noticed certain times of year where a different profile will outfish the TRD. It's not a hard and fast rule, but there are some repeating trends, at least in NE KS lakes.
    4" Finesse WormZ, Finesse ShadZ and the TRD MinnowZ (formerly RainMinnowZ) are the slender go-tos.
    Identifying the profile is one of the first things I try to do when looking for a Midwest Finesse bite. Had many days where a Finesse WormZ would outfish a TRD, and vice-versa.

Quote Originally Posted by eyra_kid View Post
    If you read Ned's Infisherman blog, he has noticed certain times of year where a different profile will outfish the TRD. It's not a hard and fast rule, but there are some repeating trends, at least in NE KS lakes.
    4" Finesse WormZ, Finesse ShadZ and the TRD MinnowZ (formerly RainMinnowZ) are the slender go-tos.
    Identifying the profile is one of the first things I try to do when looking for a Midwest Finesse bite. Had many days where a Finesse WormZ would outfish a TRD, and vice-versa.
    Any predictors you've come across that make you expect one or the other, or does it just seem to depend on the day?
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

7. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewFlu33 View Post
    Really, really interesting thought. I've always tended toward more "broad" (so more short fat) baits here in MN where the vast majority of our largemouth have bluegills making up 90+% of their diet just figuring that's the profile they hone in on. Then again, I've had a ton of success by using thin almost "wispy" baits on a drop shot when broader bodied stuff isn't working.

I do recall a study that Berkley did about what bass tend toward when it comes to a crawfish imitation---they preferred a "stick profile" with no appendages at all (think TRD)---but they figured they wouldn't be able to sell that since it doesn't look good to anglers, so they just tried to incorporate it into other designs as best they could. Obviously not the same thing, but it does make me think that Berkley might be the place to look for that type of study. In that vein, here's one I came across that talks about preferred forage size in general, though it doesn't quite land on profile: http://www.berkley-fishing.com/Berkl...es-matter.html

Good read, thanks for sharing!

Any predictors you've come across that make you expect one or the other, or does it just seem to depend on the day?
    For me, it kinda depends on the day. I'll have to check with Ned on what he's observed long-term. He generally fishes 3-5 days a week on a rotation of area lakes, which helps to identify trends like this.

9. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    Certainly not scientific but I got a few bags of those Strike King Cut-R tail worm last week, 7”. First of all, great worm and much heavier, thicker, and larger profile than I thought they would be.

Used them today for the the first time and caught 5 in one of my golf course ponds in an hour and they were all 1.5 pounders. I was sure I was fishing for one decent size bite just because of the size of the worm but 5 dink’s decided to eat that thing.
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

10. Member
    edit
    Last edited by SPOONMINNOW; 09-13-2020 at 07:08 AM.

11. Member

Smile

For me, it kinda depends on the day. I'll have to check with Ned on what he's observed long-term. He generally fishes 3-5 days a week on a rotation of area lakes, which helps to identify trends like this.
    I’ve got a pretty good idea as to how he will answer. :)

Please pass along a hello.
    In Fisherman Midwest Finesse
    American Legacy Fishing Company
    Costa
    Jackson Kayak
    Nikko
    Pro Cure
    Rapala
    Simms

Quote Originally Posted by TravisM View Post
    I’ve got a pretty good idea as to how he will answer. :)

Please pass along a hello.
    Hey there Travis! Hope those river holes are treating you well this winter.

13. Dogfish_Jones
    I use both the Z-Man TRD 3.75" Ned Rig and the Robo Ned Rig. I can catch them on both but the Z-Man TRD seems to catch more fish. I do use the Roboworm for shakey head fishing and I do have good luck using it that way.

14. Member
    Hey there Travis! Hope those river holes are treating you well this winter.
    Grinning mightily. Indeed sir. Good memory on your end.

Best regards, Travis
    Costa
    Jackson Kayak
    Nikko
    Pro Cure
    Rapala
    Simms

Quote Originally Posted by TravisM View Post
    Grinning mightily. Indeed sir. Good memory on your end.

Best regards, Travis
    Always enjoy your reports on the Ned Rig Underground, my friend.

16. Member
    Thank you very much sir. Appreciated.
    Costa
    Jackson Kayak
    Nikko
    Pro Cure
    Rapala
    Simms

17. Member

It's funny they would prefer a stick profile bait when eating crawfish and not a traditional jig and craw trailer. Goes almost against the grain on what you would think.