Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

New FXR20 but a little disappointed

So I drove 6hrs to pick up my new FXR20 color option A with dual console. I was like a kid at Christmas to pick up new FXR20. When I got there, the Sale Rep that I had been dealing with came out to greet me. He immediately wanted to apologize for oversight on his part. The boat I was purchasing had 20+ hours on the motor. Originally, he said the boat was brand new and probably <3 hrs on the motor from the factory. I appreciated that he was upfront and how he apologized for not recognizing that this boat was a demo boat at one of the big shows when Skeeter was unveiling the FXR series.

He gave me the option to have a new motor put on, but it would take about three hours. I was glad that he offered to do that. So I waited for a little over two hours to switch out the motors. During that time, we worked on the paperwork and got the transaction completed. Shame on me for doing that without doing a thorough inspection of the boat prior to signing. Some may say that the motor would be fine and that the plus is I didn't have to do the 10 hrs break-in process. In my mind, I would rather do the 10 hr break-in myself, because I know I would do it to how the break-in the process specified. Don't get me wrong, I am not implying that the process was not done correctly.

When I finally got to go over the boat after signing the papers, I noticed that the trailer did not have the deck side steps on the trailer. This feature was something I really liked about the new skeeter FXR trailers. Now don’t get me wrong this feature of the trailer wasn't the sole reason I bought the boat, but I thought I was buying the complete package and I paid NAP. When I asked why there were no deck side steps on the trailer, the dealer really didn’t have a clear answer why. I was disappointed, to say the least. I drove 6 hrs and first, it was the motor and then to find out the boat was demoed at one of the big events and now the trailer did not have the deck side steps... Big disappointment!!!!

If I didn’t already sign the papers, I probably would have backed out of the deal. So my advice to all is to inspect the boat first, ask to have the printout of the hours on the motor and ask if the boat was demoed.

I contacted Skeeter directly and they responded promptly. The Skeeter Rep asked me to forward a picture of my trailer so he could present it to manufacturing and QC showing that I did not have the deck side steps. He researched what happened and said that my boat was one of the early ones produced and that the deck side steps were added later. He said he is working with the engineers to see if they can retrofit my trailer with the deck steps. He said he would be in touch. So I am waiting to hear back from Skeeter.

So long story short, don't do what I did and assume the boat you are buying is what is advertised on the dealer site and the manufacturer’s website for that matter. I should have probably backed out of the deal, but to drive 6hrs home with no boat in trail would be a big disappointment.

I hope Skeeter will do right and try to have the deck side steps added to my trailer.

I have to ask the group do you think it is crazy to ask Skeeter for a new trailer?

I'm interested in hearing from the group. I anticipate someone will call me foolish or dope for signing before I inspected the boat. It is what it is but, I wanted to share my error for others to learn from.
    Chris Hoffman
    Londonderry, NH

2022 SKEETER FXR20 APEX w/ 250hp SHO
    1x APEX 13 MSI+, 1x Solix 12 chirp MSI+ G3, 1x Solix 15 chirp MSI+ G3. AS GPS HS, Mega 360 Imaging. MK Ultrex MDI w/ iPilot link, MegaLive with Targetlock and 8’ MK
    Raptors and Ionic Lithium Batteries

><((((º>`·.¸¸´¯`·.¸><(((º>`·.¸¸´¯`·.¸><(((º>.·´¯`·. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>`·.¸¸. ·´ ¯`·...><(((º>

2. Member
    My only question would be, when you bought the boat was the assumption it was brand new and being ordered from Skeeter or the dealer already had the boat on the lot and you bought it before going to the dealer to look at it? From your post it seems the boat was already on the lot and the first time you saw the boat was at the dealer. If so I guess your correct in that before signing anything you should have completely inspected the boat but also if the dealer didn't specify on their site and description of the boat and motor they were wrong and should have as they did replace the motor. Otherwise it seems you got a really nice boat and if the only thing missing are those trailer steps your still good. I would think either Skeeter or the dealer could get those and just weld them on at some point. When I bought my new boat back in 2018 it came from the factory. I was so excited I was at the dealer when the trailer pulled onto the lot. The dealer told me to inspect the boat before the trailer left and I did. I checked everything I could think. After the boat was all prepped and I took delivery I took it straight to the lake the next day. First thing off the trailer the bilge pump came on and after a bit of crawling around the bilge area I finally found that one of the livewell hoses was not connected causing the leak. I guess I didn't catch that one. Then trying to get the boat back on the trailer the boat would always slide on the trailer crooked and I actually hit the trailer winch and caused damage. I finally got under the trailer and measured the bunk supports and noticed that one side had been welded on at least an inch lower causing the loading problem. I never would have thought to inspect that when it came in. In the end Skeeter wanted to "fix" the trailer but my dealer forced them to replace the trailer. Don't be hard on your self. Buying something new like a boat it's easy to miss things due to the excitement and many things on your mind. In the end you will love the boat.
    2021 Skeeter ZX225
    2021 Yamaha SHO 225 VF225LA

If Skeeter told you they will make it right chances are very high they will. I know uts disappointing but give them the chance to make it like you want.

4. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    I believe Skeeter will either fix your trailer or offer you a new one. That being said, how do you like the boat? It looks amazing in pictures! The layout appears to be perfect and it looks like an incredible stable ride with loads of deck space....and it’s purty!

Sorry you had a bad experience with the dealer but I hope you love the boat! It’s my dream rig no doubt.
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

5. Member
    I bought my FXR 20L on Nov 2nd and I too was like a kid at Christmas. I couldnt wait to get it home and start putting my stuff in it so I could go play in it on Sunday. I should went over it with a fine tooth comb. I found cut wire ties, wire terminal ends, plastic, fiberglass dust and metal shavings in my bilge. I also found metal shavings around the livewell lids. The battery gauge is bluetooth and it wouldnt work. I had to take a huge pipe wrench and get the back fishing seat pole out. My center rod box lid wont stay open with the net in the lid. The side imaging on my Helix at the bow is not working. So disappointed is an understatement. My advice is if you are going to buy a new one, dont let the excitement get the better of you. Go over the boat with a fine toothcomb. Make the dealer fix everything you find wrong and if they wont, then walk away.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chucky6153 View Post
    I bought my FXR 20L on Nov 2nd and I too was like a kid at Christmas. I couldnt wait to get it home and start putting my stuff in it so I could go play in it on Sunday. I should went over it with a fine tooth comb. I found cut wire ties, wire terminal ends, plastic, fiberglass dust and metal shavings in my bilge. I also found metal shavings around the livewell lids. The battery gauge is bluetooth and it wouldnt work. I had to take a huge pipe wrench and get the back fishing seat pole out. My center rod box lid wont stay open with the net in the lid. The side imaging on my Helix at the bow is not working. So disappointed is an understatement. My advice is if you are going to buy a new one, dont let the excitement get the better of you. Go over the boat with a fine toothcomb. Make the dealer fix everything you find wrong and if they wont, then walk away.
    wow, that’s all I can say. After paying that much for a boat and that’s what you got when you got home. Yes I would be extremely disappointed

7. Member
    Dealer did not do their job in terms of pre-inspection, testing, etc. I would be back at the dealership to get satisfaction/fixes on everything you encountered.

8. Member
    im Sure they will take care of it, my only question is why you would accept a demo at NAP sure they threw a new motor on it but what about the mileage on the trailer tires or small scratches they may have covered up on the gel coat or maybe a fiberglass repair they aren’t telling you about my personal opinion is your dealer screwed you knowing that you wanted the boat and they knew it was a demo and sold it to you at the price you would’ve paid for brand new one that never touched the water
    2017 Skeeter ZX225
    12” Bobs Action Jack
    Dual Powers Poles

9. Banned
    Every new boat has a few bugs to work out no matter what brand.....enjoy the experience of puttering....

10. Member
    At 70k plus for a boat shouldn't have to do any puttering. Jmo

Every single person I know that has bought a new boat no matter the brand has had small little issues to get right after the first trip or two.

12. Member
    At the prices of these boats, weather it “slipped through the cracks” at skeeter before it left or the dealer didn’t do something proper no way should you be having to take it back or work on it. Unless it’s something custom your doing. But if this is how boats are being sold then I would re evaluate the dealer I’m doing business with.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HoffaZX21 View Post
    So I drove 6hrs to pick up my new FXR20 color option A with dual console. I was like a kid at Christmas to pick up new FXR20. When I got there, the Sale Rep that I had been dealing with came out to greet me. He immediately wanted to apologize for oversight on his part. The boat I was purchasing had 20+ hours on the motor. Originally, he said the boat was brand new and probably <3 hrs on the motor from the factory. I appreciated that he was upfront and how he apologized for not recognizing that this boat was a demo boat at one of the big shows when Skeeter was unveiling the FXR series.

He gave me the option to have a new motor put on, but it would take about three hours. I was glad that he offered to do that. So I waited for a little over two hours to switch out the motors. During that time, we worked on the paperwork and got the transaction completed. Shame on me for doing that without doing a thorough inspection of the boat prior to signing. Some may say that the motor would be fine and that the plus is I didn't have to do the 10 hrs break-in process. In my mind, I would rather do the 10 hr break-in myself, because I know I would do it to how the break-in the process specified. Don't get me wrong, I am not implying that the process was not done correctly.

When I finally got to go over the boat after signing the papers, I noticed that the trailer did not have the deck side steps on the trailer. This feature was something I really liked about the new skeeter FXR trailers. Now don’t get me wrong this feature of the trailer wasn't the sole reason I bought the boat, but I thought I was buying the complete package and I paid NAP. When I asked why there were no deck side steps on the trailer, the dealer really didn’t have a clear answer why. I was disappointed, to say the least. I drove 6 hrs and first, it was the motor and then to find out the boat was demoed at one of the big events and now the trailer did not have the deck side steps... Big disappointment!!!!

If I didn’t already sign the papers, I probably would have backed out of the deal. So my advice to all is to inspect the boat first, ask to have the printout of the hours on the motor and ask if the boat was demoed.

I contacted Skeeter directly and they responded promptly. The Skeeter Rep asked me to forward a picture of my trailer so he could present it to manufacturing and QC showing that I did not have the deck side steps. He researched what happened and said that my boat was one of the early ones produced and that the deck side steps were added later. He said he is working with the engineers to see if they can retrofit my trailer with the deck steps. He said he would be in touch. So I am waiting to hear back from Skeeter.

So long story short, don't do what I did and assume the boat you are buying is what is advertised on the dealer site and the manufacturer’s website for that matter. I should have probably backed out of the deal, but to drive 6hrs home with no boat in trail would be a big disappointment.

I hope Skeeter will do right and try to have the deck side steps added to my trailer.

I have to ask the group do you think it is crazy to ask Skeeter for a new trailer?

I'm interested in hearing from the group. I anticipate someone will call me foolish or dope for signing before I inspected the boat. It is what it is but, I wanted to share my error for others to learn from.
    This is a huge dealer fail. Apology or no we would have negotiated a new price. All of the little things wrong should have been addressed by the dealer before delivery.
    Not sure how the dealer could NOT know it was a demo. Tells me: Dealer never looked at the boat or Dealer didn't care enough to ensure a demo boat was ready.
    It is not crazy to ask Skeeter for a new trailer, the dealer should be asking and not you.
    2018 Skeeter ZX250
    2018 Yamaha 250 SHO

Before you drove six hours to the dealership, did they have pictures of the boat / trailer on their website? What was the description of the ad?

Actually signing the papers is not as binding as you think. Offer and acceptance. Signing the paper is finalizing the offer, acceptance is driving it home. If you never take posession of the item then the deal has not been copleted and the paper is voidable.
    2012 Ranger Z519 Comanche - Merc. 225 Pro XS - 24 Razor 4 XL/25 Tempest Plus

16. Member
    I just can't believe you paid full retail for a used boat

17. Member
    Tell them to send a brand new trailer and swap out

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Loomis88 View Post
    Tell them to send a brand new trailer and swap out
    This!

19. Member
    this is a miss on both sides... Skeeter will fix it. but make the dealer drive getting things replaced and repaired to factory specs...

20. Member
    the biggest miss is if the boat was not what it was advertised at it shouldnt have been purchased .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast