Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member

#6 o-ring. This is the only o-ring I got from the marina.
    2020 BassCat Cougar FTD SP
    2020 250 Pro SX
    #Denalirods #Powerpole
    #PowerhouseLithium
    #Powerpole Move

2. Member

#6 o-ring
    2020 250 Pro SX
    #Denalirods #Powerpole
    #PowerhouseLithium
    #Powerpole Move

3. Member

#5 piston & rod
    2020 250 Pro SX
    #Denalirods #Powerpole
    #PowerhouseLithium
    #Powerpole Move

4. Member
    Just a guess here but from pics of the heads,it looks like water from the front on 5 and 6.Cowl flooded first.Show pics of top of pistons.

5. Member
    2020 250 Pro SX
    #Denalirods #Powerpole
    #PowerhouseLithium
    #Powerpole Move

6. Member
    2020 250 Pro SX
    #Denalirods #Powerpole
    #PowerhouseLithium
    #Powerpole Move

7. Member
    Nice picture posting! Perhaps you can train the rest of us on the BBC ??

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KJK View Post
    Nice picture posting! Perhaps you can train the rest of us on the BBC ??
    Use the "Go Advanced" option instead of "Post Quick Reply". In the "Additional Options" show below the text window, select "manage attachments" and press on.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Good pictures. Zero doubt on water ingestion to #6. I'm not sure about #5 using only the pictures provided, can't tell whether there is ruse present on the rings or cylinder wall (at all).

You'll probably have to piece that together "hands-on".

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

10. Member
    Follow up.
    I got the insurance company to agree with the plausibility of water entering thru the intake due to a failure of a hose clamp. The catch is they want to hear it from a outboard mechanic. Gonna be fun finding a marina in Michigan this time of year to look at it. Any takers? I’m paying! Lol
    2020 250 Pro SX
    #Denalirods #Powerpole
    #PowerhouseLithium
    #Powerpole Move

I think your problem will be getting anyone to agree that it was do to the impact you described, If the water outlet in your first picture was out of the cowling......maybe they could be convinced. I don't think they would cover it for a loose or failed hose clamp but if the impact disturbed the cowling in some way the rubber outlet popped out of place and water pressure pushed the off,,,,,maybe . It would be difficult to convince me. The water stains make me believe this problem did no happen suddenly in the short time frame described
    I do hope that this all works out well for you though, I am just being the devils advocate
    Thank You Leon Pugh

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lpugh View Post
    I think your problem will be getting anyone to agree that it was do to the impact you described, If the water outlet in your first picture was out of the cowling......maybe they could be convinced. I don't think they would cover it for a loose or failed hose clamp but if the impact disturbed the cowling in some way the rubber outlet popped out of place and water pressure pushed the off,,,,,maybe . It would be difficult to convince me. The water stains make me believe this problem did no happen suddenly in the short time frame described
    I do hope that this all works out well for you though, I am just being the devils advocate
    Leon, it would have had to been a cruel twist of fate or horrible coincidence that a hose clamp failed or hose popped off at that particular moment in time. According to the insurance company, the if the engine hydro locks due to water entering externally, it’s covered. The adjuster basically took my account of what happened and threw it in the trash then developed his own theory that would release the company from coverage. I know the water came in externally, that amount couldn’t have come from the inside unless there was a huge hole in the block (no holes). I really wish I could have been there during tear down to see the hoses separated from the block.
    2020 250 Pro SX
    #Denalirods #Powerpole
    #PowerhouseLithium
    #Powerpole Move

Quote Originally Posted by Knuckle View Post
    Leon, it would have had to been a cruel twist of fate or horrible coincidence that a hose clamp failed or hose popped off at that particular moment in time. According to the insurance company, the if the engine hydro locks due to water entering externally, it’s covered. The adjuster basically took my account of what happened and threw it in the trash then developed his own theory that would release the company from coverage. I know the water came in externally, that amount couldn’t have come from the inside unless there was a huge hole in the block (no holes). I really wish I could have been there during tear down to see the hoses separated from the block.
    I have a 95% confidence that the motor did fail because of water ingestion through the intake, There is very strong evidence of that in the pictures. I am not a Marine tech but I am Master Auto Tech with over fifty years of experience, I noticed that Don put a response on here with the same conclusion.
    Maybe you could get the adjuster to review the post on this thread. If it would help I would be glad to talk to that adjuster and explain my opinion
    leon.pugh@comcast.net ph 916 813 0321
    Thank You Leon Pugh

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lpugh View Post
    I have a 95% confidence that the motor did fail because of water ingestion through the intake, There is very strong evidence of that in the pictures. I am not a Marine tech but I am Master Auto Tech with over fifty years of experience, I noticed that Don put a response on here with the same conclusion.
    Maybe you could get the adjuster to review the post on this thread. If it would help I would be glad to talk to that adjuster and explain my opinion
    leon.pugh@comcast.net ph 916 813 0321
    Leon, I appreciate your offer more than you know! Trying to get a mechanic to look at it here, let alone just talk to, is like pulling teeth. I do believe I found someone today to take it to. So fingers crossed, next week I should have some news.
    Thanks again for your kindness,
    Keith G
    2020 250 Pro SX
    #Denalirods #Powerpole
    #PowerhouseLithium
    #Powerpole Move

15. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    A highly-qualified tech with "hands and eyeballs on it" assessment and "cause of failure analysis" are what you need.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

16. Member
    I hope it works out for you.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12