Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

? For experienced chine walk drivers

I have been reading and watching videos (that I can find) regarding chine walking. I have a question about the steering technique. I am getting different ideas from what I read and see. When the boat just starts the walk, while sitting in the drivers seat, do you slightly turn into or away from the side tilting? As an example, as the bow is tilting to the right (drivers side) do you do the correction (turn the wheel) to the right or the left? I know in the seat time is what I need to learn this, and I’m going to do that, but I am
    trying to understand. Thx

Motor torque will always pull the hull off the pad to the right (starboard). Slight steering corrections are made to the left to keep the hull on the pad before it begins to fall off to the right.

Much more complete and better info here. Even though it's specific to a Cat hull, most if not all of the info is still useful.
    https://basscat.com/forum/groups/bas...my-experience/
    Last edited by Macsimus; 11-13-2019 at 05:59 AM.
    There was a time that I didn't fish but I cannot remember it.

3. Member
    Thank you for that reply, and for the link. I will read it a couple of times when I can. Everything I could find online, reading and video, that’s the first I’ve been told that the correction is only to the left, That is helpful to know.

4. Member
    Have you tried raising the motor 1/4" and see how it affects the walk. Normally the higher you can run the motor the less it will walk.

5. Member
    Your engine torques to the right, which will make the boat want to go right. You will need to add pressure to the left hand side of the steering wheel. I spent some time with a dealer and taught his employees how to drive a boat, they wanted to white knuckle the wheel, I could not even turn the wheel setting beside them. That is the worst thing you can do. They finally figured it out.

I found I need to steer left. You are trying to balance the boat on the pad, if it's tipping left a tap left flattens out the boat and repeat
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishysam View Post
    I found I need to steer left. You are trying to balance the boat on the pad, if it's tipping left a tap left flattens out the boat and repeat
    this is an example of what I was saying is confusing.... You’re saying when it tilts to the left to steer to left other replies are saying just the opposite. I guess every boat is different or I just don’t quite get it. I’m probably just interpreting this wrong , I appreciate the replies.
    Last edited by itsahog; 11-13-2019 at 06:19 PM.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mdtritn21 View Post
    Have you tried raising the motor 1/4" and see how it affects the walk. Normally the higher you can run the motor the less it will walk.
    yes I have raised it. I left it where the dealer had it for the motor break-in which was around 4” below the pad. I raised it to 2.75” and it was better but still not very good. I have since raised it to 2.25 inches but not had a chance to try again. Hopefully with the advice I’m getting here and having the motor at the optimum height I will get this figured out. I’m just trying to give myself every advantage I can to learn the steering technique.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jjtriton View Post
    Your engine torques to the right, which will make the boat want to go right. You will need to add pressure to the left hand side of the steering wheel. I spent some time with a dealer and taught his employees how to drive a boat, they wanted to white knuckle the wheel, I could not even turn the wheel setting beside them. That is the worst thing you can do. They finally figured it out.
    Thanks for that reply, I’m sure my first attempt my hand on the wheel was way white knuckled!

10. Member
    Another question, Would having my prop tuned help?

11. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    Having your prop worked can help whatever deficiencies your current prop has, but you need to figure out those first. Too much bow lift, not enough? What’s your rpm at wot? Once you know the boat you can work the prop help the boat. As for the chine walk, go to a big lake and run wot slowly turning left, like you’re driving in a mile long circle. Keep doing this til you’re no longer driving in a circle and you’ll get into a rhythm of moving your hands on the wheel in a way that stops the boat from walking. It takes a lot of seat time for some people, but you will get it!
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Casslaw View Post
    Having your prop worked can help whatever deficiencies your current prop has, but you need to figure out those first. Too much bow lift, not enough? What’s your rpm at wot? Once you know the boat you can work the prop help the boat. As for the chine walk, go to a big lake and run wot slowly turning left, like you’re driving in a mile long circle. Keep doing this til you’re no longer driving in a circle and you’ll get into a rhythm of moving your hands on the wheel in a way that stops the boat from walking. It takes a lot of seat time for some people, but you will get it!
    Thanks for that suggestion, make a lot of sense!

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by itsahog View Post
    Another question, Would having my prop tuned help?
    Yes, it helped mine big time, no chinewalk at all up to 72mph . Plus I gained speed doing so. I suggest Mark Croton or Ronnie Gilbert.
    Brad Krone

14. Member
    You must pull the steering wheel down to the left, try to keep you left hand at 11 oclock. You will get the hang of it.

It is almost like you put the boat in a slight long left hand turn.....
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by crank68 View Post
    It is almost like you put the boat in a slight long left hand turn.....
    I can’t hardly wait to get out and try it. Once I learn this technique, does it work even on what would be considered severe chine walk?

17. Member
    Once you get it you wont have severe chine walk. You kinda catch it before it starts...for lack of a better term.

18. Member
    Look on the top of the Triton page sticky chine walk myth

19. Member
    Chime walk can also be the result of worn motor mounts.

OP,
    The prop you have listed in your sig seems too small for the rig/HP. Sometimes that will encourage a boat to walk. I would think you could turn a 26 with that rig, no???
    2000 Javelin Renegade 20 DC.
    Strong men create easy times, Easy times create weak men & weak men create hard times. Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum
    In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.
    In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings. "Author Unknown"
    In 2021 18-40 year old's want to and work to cancel you out if you have a different opinion.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast