Thread: Losing 2D sonar

Losing 2D sonar

I have dual HDS Carbon 12 at my console.

The right unit was hooked to a transom-mounted Lowrance skimmer. The left unit was hooked to a shoot-thru transducer. Units are networked together.

I had a problem where the 2D sonar would randomly stop working. No depth or any reading on the graphs for a minute or two at a time - regardless of whether I was moving fast, idling slowly, or sitting still.

My shoot-thru transducer wouldn't hold bottom, so I figured I would replace it with a new PD-WBL. While I was at it, I replaced the transom mount with an Airmar TM150.

Two new transducers should eliminate the problem!

Wrong.

I still have the same problem.

Any ideas what could cause this? If it's a bad cable, would it be NMEA or Ethernet?
    2023 Puma STS

2. Member
    2D freezing was an issue wit some of the older software-versions. Check that you are running the last version (look at the last three digits, not just the first) and update if needed. Remember to save waypoints (not settings this time as the issue might be related to settings) and do a hard reset.

3. Member
    Another thing to check is your mode of operation. If you are running in 60ft of water or less, you need to be in shallow mode according to your owners manual. i was having a similar issue and it seemed to help minimize the problem.
    2018 Bass Cat Lynx w/Suzuki 250SS.

4. Member
    Thanks for the replies. Both units are on th3 latest software version.

I've been wondering if a hard reset would do any good...
    2023 Puma STS