Possible upgrade from Hook2 7x, worth it?

So I currently have a Lowrance Hook2 7x on the bow, and HDS-8 Gen1 on the dash. These graphs were on the boat when I bought it. I am pleased with the HDS-8 and feel it is giving me a good view of below. I am looking to upgrade the Hook2 7x. It has the split shot transducer and the DI is useless. The HDS-8 can show a huge ball of shad, or structure and the Hook will literally have nothing on either the sonar or DI. I am looking to upgrade and wondering how much a difference I would see with the Elite series Lowrance or Helix model. I’m looking for something for a working man and not looking to spend thousands of dollars on the newest live technology. Any info on how much of improvement I will see from ditching the Hook 2 will be greatly appreciated. Thanks for the replies.

2. Member
    I think you would be very happy with an upgrade. There are always good used units for sale here that can be had for a very good price. That would let you get the latest technology within the price range that you want to spend.

Jeff Clark
    Bassman469

3. Member
    I know the hook2 is not the latest technology, but something must be wrong with yours. It’s not the greatest technology but you should be able to see your jig off the bottom even with the old technology of low-end sonar. My boat came with a hook2 seven in the console, I just use it for the maps the depth mostly, I have a helix upfront that I fish with. My Lowrance definitely shows the structure, fish, balls of Shad Ect.... I’m not saying I would recommend buying one, but the technology of low end today is much better than high-end was not that long ago. If you’re not seeing the basics, there must be something wrong. But one things for sure, there are much better choices. I only have one because it came with the boat, but for what I need it for it does the job.

4. Member
    I will point out that your hooks on the bow are almost certainly using a trolling motor mounted transducer while your hds-8 is probably mounted on the transom, so theres 18-20 feet of difference between what they are looking at. I pretty regularly will see bait etc. popping up on the bow that never shows up on the console graph and vice versa
    Hook2's splitshot should at least be showing SOMETHING if it is actually on top of stuff. Are you saying you literally never get any kind of structure or bait or fish popping up on your Hooks? Cuz if so, definitely something wrong with the transducer.

Ultimately the biggest difference when you upgrade out of the Hook series is that the HDS models are touch screen and higher resolution, so you'll get a sharper image, but not necessarily be seeing stuff that you wouldn't see on your Hooks (assuming they're actually functioning.) IMO touch screen is awesome and I can't imagine not having touch screen graphs, but since you already have the units on there, I'd try some troubleshooting before shelling out thousands to upgrade units.

5. Member
    Correct on the hook transducer being on the TM. To clarify, it gives accurate depth but the screen very rarely
    shows any types of “hooks” or any signatures. I’m aware of the difference in front vs back of boat, but the hook can’t be relied on for anything other than depth. The graph usually has a “speck” and then straight line down, seems that I heard that was how these graphs tended to act up. I’m very familiar with graphs and wondering if it would be worth it to take the hook out of its default “auto” and manually set it up.

My hunch is you could get a better reading out of the hook with some troubleshooting and settings adjustments. A jump to an EliteTi or a used HDS touch series will definitely get you better images and more networking capabilities.

7. Member
    Is Garmin an option? I had two on my last boat. No complaints with them.
    If so, and mapping isn't a concern, look at the striker series.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by itsahog View Post

the technology of low end today is much better than high-end was not that long ago.

So are you saying that the Hook2 series is better than the Gen 2 HDS units? If so, I need to sell my HDS units for the Hook 2 series.
    2004 Stratos 295 Pro XL
    2004 Mercury 3.0 L EFI 200 HP SN: 0T908560
    Standard/Servicemaster Lower 859399T13

Quote Originally Posted by kercha83 View Post
    So are you saying that the Hook2 series is better than the Gen 2 HDS units? If so, I need to sell my HDS units for the Hook 2 series.
    No way! Gen2 HDS is significantly better.

I have a hook2 7 Tripleshot at the bow and HDS7 Gen 3 with LSS2 at the helm. The readings appear nearly identical to my eye, and I have no complaints with my Tripleshot. This is not to knock the HDS Gen 3, but to compliment the Tripleshot.
    1994 Stratos 201 Pro XL 2004 Mercury 200 EFI

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Skunked again View Post
    Is Garmin an option? I had two on my last boat. No complaints with them.
    If so, and mapping isn't a concern, look at the striker series.
    THIS^^^^^!!!!
    2000 Bass Cat Pantera Classic
    Mercury 200 EFI (0G374590)
    26P Trophy Plus / Garmin Force / Garmin EchoMAP / Dual Power Pole Pro Series II

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

- Benjamin Franklin

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kercha83 View Post
    No. that’s not what I’m saying. what I said is technology today even on the low-end is as good as some high end technology was not that long ago. I really did not think it was that hard to understand. The point I was trying to make to him is the technology he has now, even though it’s not the greatest, should be at least sufficient for seeing things he said he’s not. So my point was quite simple, he said he’s not reading anything so I told him there’s probably something wrong with his set up. So sorry you could not comprehend my point, my apologies.

13. Member
    I appreciate all the input, I am just wanting others opinion on quality upgrade from the Lowrance Hook2 to HDS/Ti2/Helix/or Garmin. I know there has to be a upgrade from a “entry level” graph to a higher quality graph. I’m tight, and don’t want to drop several hundred for a minimal upgrade.