Question Help with Motor Guide.

I have a Motor guide tour edition 109 and while out fishing this past weekend it worked fine then just stopped working. Tried resetting breakers and checked connections and still nothing. Every once in awhile I would step one the switch and the prop would turn slowly for a few seconds then stop. Any ideas what to look for or suggestions? Thanks
    Bruce Theriot
    2003 Champion 196 Elite
    200 Mercury Opti max
    25 Tempest A45

2. Member
    This is a symptom of water intrusion. Depending on how long the water sat in the motor you may be looking at a replacement of just the motor and not the whole troll motor. It is worth the money to do this unless you want to break the bank on a new one. Last I checked it is around $450 for a new motor. to check for water just take the prop off and loosen the thru bolt that is closest to the bottom when it is laying on the mount. Use a 5/16 socket. If you are not confident in doing the work then I would bring to a repair shop. Water intrusion is not a good thing. Labor for cleaning would be about the same as a new motor replacement, however I personally think a new motor is the way to go. With that you would not have the possibility of failure as you would when you just clean the motor.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bradrodfish View Post
    This is a symptom of water intrusion. Depending on how long the water sat in the motor you may be looking at a replacement of just the motor and not the whole troll motor. It is worth the money to do this unless you want to break the bank on a new one. Last I checked it is around $450 for a new motor. to check for water just take the prop off and loosen the thru bolt that is closest to the bottom when it is laying on the mount. Use a 5/16 socket. If you are not confident in doing the work then I would bring to a repair shop. Water intrusion is not a good thing. Labor for cleaning would be about the same as a new motor replacement, however I personally think a new motor is the way to go. With that you would not have the possibility of failure as you would when you just clean the motor.
    Pulled the nose cone and no water to be found. Gonna change the micro switch and if that fails sounds like a trip to the repair shop is next.
    Bruce Theriot
    2003 Champion 196 Elite
    200 Mercury Opti max
    25 Tempest A45

4. Member
    I wold check all the connections, including the wires inside the terminals. Check for connection and color. Dark color meant wither heat or corrosion, both bad. And verify with an ohm meter on the lowest ohm setting. Any reading over 1 ohm is a bad connection. (Do not use diode scale) Also, since you have the motor apart, you might check/replace the brushes.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Champ 196 elite View Post
    Pulled the nose cone and no water to be found. Gonna change the micro switch and if that fails sounds like a trip to the repair shop is next.
    Darn. Well It still does not mean you don't have a module problem. I don't think the micro switch will fix it. Corrosion as mentioned above is also a factor. You need to take the brush end off and see if you can determine if corrosion is present. One check to make is to put the motor back together and get a volt meter. Disconnect the green and orange wire in the head and then apply power to the troll motor. Use a voltmeter to read the 2 wires going to the motor. If you read any voltage on them then you have a bad module. If you not sure about all this then a trip to the repair center will be needed.

6. Member
    Thanks to all for your input. I think the repair shop is the best idea and get it done right.
    Bruce Theriot
    2003 Champion 196 Elite
    200 Mercury Opti max
    25 Tempest A45

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Champ 196 elite View Post
    Thanks to all for your input. I think the repair shop is the best idea and get it done right.