Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    I guide on the Kentucky and Barkley lakes and I think people will be surprised to see the next year at how many keepers we will have on the lakes. There are a ton of 12-14" fish swimming around out there especially smallmouth. I personally had two days in a row where I caught over 35 a day. I also believe that the carp were not as much of an issue as water quality, the lack of forage, and bad spawns. I think it will be two to three years before we see it be anything like it used to be but better days are coming for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Jlovett200 View Post
    I guide on the Kentucky and Barkley lakes and I think people will be surprised to see the next year at how many keepers we will have on the lakes. There are a ton of 12-14" fish swimming around out there especially smallmouth. I personally had two days in a row where I caught over 35 a day. I also believe that the carp were not as much of an issue as water quality, the lack of forage, and bad spawns. I think it will be two to three years before we see it be anything like it used to be but better days are coming for sure.
    There’s a lot of us that sure hope you’re right. Welcome to the BBC.
    @kennethandmacy
    2004 Triton 196
    200 Merc
    1199/898

War on carp continues. If you haven’t seen this https://www.bassmaster.com/conservation-news/kentucky-lake-carp-harvest

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jlovett200 View Post
    I think your right about the bad spawn and lack of forage. Saw a lot more shad this year. Also the results on the MCBC are showing the lake is not dead.

5. Member
    My son and I caught 19 short fish on Saturday off the same point. All 10-14". They were healthy little fish. Nice and fat. Hopefully a sign of good things to come

6. Member
    We should all continue to fish the lakes. They will rebound in time and we should help out as much as we can. I think its bad tournaments have quite going to either lake because of the problems. Nobody asked for this but we can help each other in a bad time.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by richhat52 View Post
    We should all continue to fish the lakes. They will rebound in time and we should help out as much as we can. I think its bad tournaments have quite going to either lake because of the problems. Nobody asked for this but we can help each other in a bad time.
    As much as it sucks people just wont take their vacation (myself included) to go down there and fish for a week to not catch any fish. The bigger tournies numbers have been suffering for years and they either moved them or lost all competitors. I always enjoyed the lake and trying to figure it out, and as long as we were catching some fish i wouldve continued going. When you spend a week trying to figure out how to catch a keeper or two its just not fun anymore. The guys who are able to spend time on the lake still catch em decent and thats to be expected, but the average joe just cant have enjoyable trips anymore. I honestly hope the lake comes back close to what it was with or without the carp, and youll see some tournies return.
    They aint got hands, set the hook

8. Banned
    Looks like Jr19 thinks this could be a problem for all tributaries of Mississippi. I hope he realizes they are at Green and Barren Tailwaters already? Nolin as well?

This isn’t a Tn or Criver problem. Barren is capable of spawn every year, green is also honestly.

Quote Originally Posted by Rude196 View Post
    Looks like Jr19 thinks this could be a problem for all tributaries of Mississippi. I hope he realizes they are at Green and Barren Tailwaters already? Nolin as well?

This isn’t a Tn or Criver problem. Barren is capable of spawn every year, green is also honestly.
    So if they are at Green and Barren tail-waters then why are they not at Nolin or Rough tailwaters? I mean all they have to do is swim a few miles through the Monmouth Cave park and they can be at Nolin's tail-waters in a short amount of time. To get to Rough they have to swim at tad bit more. All they have to do is take the Livermore exit of Green River and they have a pathway to the Rough River tail-waters. So my question for you is if they are at the Green River and Barren River tail-waters then why are they not at Rough or Nolin tail-waters?

So far all I have heard is rumors. To the best of my knowledge there has been no visual conformation they have made it all the way up to the Green River tail-waters. Feasible yes, likely to happen one day yes, confirmed it has actually happen no. Maybe someone who has been fishing the tail-waters of one of these lake can actually confirm a visual report...not rumor.

10. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JR19 View Post
    So if they are at Green and Barren tail-waters then why are they not at Nolin or Rough tailwaters? I mean all they have to do is swim a few miles through the Monmouth Cave park and they can be at Nolin's tail-waters in a short amount of time. To get to Rough they have to swim at tad bit more. All they have to do is take the Livermore exit of Green River and they have a pathway to the Rough River tail-waters. So my question for you is if they are at the Green River and Barren River tail-waters then why are they not at Rough or Nolin tail-waters?

So far all I have heard is rumors. To the best of my knowledge there has been no visual conformation they have made it all the way up to the Green River tail-waters. Feasible yes, likely to happen one day yes, confirmed it has actually happen no. Maybe someone who has been fishing the tail-waters of one of these lake can actually confirm a visual report...not rumor.
    Rumors didn’t place the signs at spillways. Also, why wouldn’t they be there? Maybe the faux dam in bg but I can’t imagine a reason they are not capable of being there. Sure it may be tough with low water conditions but those don’t always exist.

GRL is a cast net and bait bucket away from being stocked.

11. Member
    They are at Rough tail waters. Have been for years.

They are in the tail waters of lake Monroe in Bloomington Indiana, and that's a lot farther to swim than most rivers in Ky.
    Steve Sendelweck
    Phoenix 920/Mercury 250 ProXS

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12