Tell me about the DF115ATLW2

So tell me about the DF115ATLW2

Like the fact it has a timing chain rather then a belt. Keep good oil in it and it should last a while.

Thinking about repowering the Florida boat which is a 2002 Ranger 118 Cherokee. Tired of dealing the Ficht 90 that's on it.

Is there software I can install on a laptop to check engine systems?

Thanks in advance for any info.

Steve McQueen "Le Mans"
    Own the Champ! Life Long Petty Fan!

2003 ChampioN 2006 250 Merc. XB, Prop By Mark C.
    2002 Ranger Okeechobee Special EvinRude Ficht 90 / 9.9 4-Stroke GLAD to have a Get me to the Dock motor maybe!

2. Member
    The 115’s are a well proven, reliable, economical and solid performer. If your boat is rated to take 140hp, the Suzuki 140 is the same displacement and weight as the 115. The 90 is less cc and lighter than the 115.

The Suzuki software is called SDS (Suzuki Diagnostic System), and can be bought along with the required cable to connect the engine to the laptop. It not only allows engine systems to be checked but it can also perform various test and diagnostic functions as well as see a full record of engine history hours, service codes and faults. Can get knockoff copies on ebay that seem to work OK.

Suzuki have released a new (to the USA) digital gauge that is very nice highly accurate and gives a heap of engine and fuel data, would be worth considering getting one or two put in when the engine is installed. We have had these gauges in Australia and the rest of the world since 2015 and they have been virtually flawless.

Thanks for the info Moonlighter! Very helpful. I think I have a good connection where I can obtain one for well under retail with full warranty. Still kicking tires at this point. Still a lot of money on a boat that only gets wet 10 to 14 days a year.

115 is the max the hull is rated for. It has a 90 Ficht now and it will push it as fast as that hull really feels okay.

I'll make some notes about the software and gauges. But like I said its a limits use boat today but that could change.

Thanks again! Do like the none timing belt!

Steve McQueen "Le Mans"

2002 Ranger Okeechobee Special EvinRude Ficht 90 / 9.9 4-Stroke GLAD to have a Get me to the Dock motor maybe!

4. Member
    All good, let me know if you need any more info. I have DF115 2010 year thats been flawless, and the A series current models use 10-15% less fuel and are quieter and smoother again.

Dont ignore the 90A, they are a very nice motor with heaps of power and are significantly lighter and smaller profile than the 115’s. So if weight/size are issues on your boat they would be well worth a look.

The Suzukis have very different rpm profiles to the etecs. The etecs dont rev as fast so you can expect to run higher rpm for the Suzukis than the etec. You need to prop the Suzukis to achieve 6000-6200rpm at WOT to get best performance and economy from them.

Yeah not sure you can call this 2002 90 ficht an Etec. But have heard they are close cousins.

But it hasn't been bad for 15 years really till we had to have the EMM Rebuilt it does run good but I only have a little time to make it to Florida every year and seems every other year there is something. When I see this boat it's time to fish not work on it. It may do better if it was ran more.

I have considered the 90 version cost is pretty close together.

Steve McQueen "Le Mans"