Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by John Jackson View Post
    For fun, a 280. I'm surprised no one has mentioned it.
    For real man. Sweet sound too!

2. Member
    Fuel efficiency is not the 280’s strongpoint but the power it packs in the lighter weight motor is phenomenal! That setup would be a blast if the OP wasn’t concerned with fuel consumption.
    BULLET 20XRD/Mercury 300 XS

3. Member
    A 200 Yamaha sho is a really good option. Can easily run 75 in stock form loaded to fish. Flash the ecu with hydro tech and run up to 90mph without having to change the lower unit. The sho has all the torque you need for fast holeshot, great mid range and good top speed with just about any decent big diameter prop.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WPC3 View Post
    A 200 Yamaha sho is a really good option. Can easily run 75 in stock form loaded to fish. Flash the ecu with hydro tech and run up to 90mph without having to change the lower unit. The sho has all the torque you need for fast holeshot, great mid range and good top speed with just about any decent big diameter prop.
    I like the way you think
    But you know how most of the bullet guys feel about hammers on bullets if it aint black it aint right LOL

5. Member
    That is why you see so many high performance boats (Bullet, Allison, Stroker) with Yammies, LOL.

6. Member
    Yes 280 was awesome for speed and a 150 lbs lighter than pro xs is , but 3 mpg , high octane fuel , and maintenance cost is very costly !lol everyone knows when Its started up !

I have 225 sport. Sportscaster 1.62. Seen 84 with fairly heavy load.
    1.5 to 1.75 above. 26 inch props seem best.
    1998 bullet 20xd 2006 225 sport xs

8. Member
    Merc 280 is a beast but needs new rings about every 100 hours. It is rather thirsty too.

9. Member
    "Rather thirsty" Understatement of the day. LOL.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gehol View Post
    "Rather thirsty" Understatement of the day. LOL.
    Hence their nickname of "commode " for the air horn intake. Fuel usage is like flushing a commode!

11. Member
    But man are they fun, especially on an 800 pound XB2002!

12. Member
    ive kicked the idea around it doing a 15” 200 sho flashed on mine a while back. Never did it but that’s what I was thinking would be cool

20’ Bullet can’t beat a 15” Offshore promax on one. Only way to go IMO

13. Member
    The issue with the yammi is the the gear case, if you want to take it to the next level it just cost to much money to get a sproty on there. In all honesty I prefer the SHO over a opti, But the cost to make a yammi fly is just so much.

14. Member
    300 xs sport w/ DBR flash worked great for me. That was on an 01 20XD. Was a great ride on the top end .
    2020 Allison XB 21
    Merc 300R
    2018-SST Bullet
    Merc 300R
    Bullet 20XD
    300XS DBR

15. Member
    A 280 would fly!

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gehol View Post
    That is why you see so many high performance boats (Bullet, Allison, Stroker) with Yammies, LOL.
    The OP didn’t ask which motor would be the fastest. He just asked for a good option. If dependability, reliability and good performance are the ultimate goal then a sho is a good option. Some people actually fish from their Bullet and for fishing a SHO in my opinion is the best option. Also I’m pretty certain there are some extremely fast strokers with SHO’s in them.

17. Member
    The OP didn’t ask which motor would be the fastest. He just asked for a good option. If dependability, reliability and good performance are the ultimate goal then a sho is a good option. Some people actually fish from their Bullet and for fishing a SHO in my opinion is the best option. Also I’m pretty certain there are some extremely fast strokers with SHO’s in them.
    Right on, I really really like the sho on my fishing buddies skeeter.

As I’ve mentioned before I had seriously considered and looked into a 15” sho mod for my 20xdc before I had to sell it.

If I had a 21’ boat a stock 250 sho would be a serious consideration

18. Member
    The Sho is a fantastic motor ! I had a 300x for 14 years before this Sho , no complaints here .
    ​BULLET 21XRS 250 SHO

19. Member
    Love the 300x on mine. I fish 8-10 hours out of it. And not too thirsty till ya put your foot down, which is hard not to do.
    2003 Bullet
    20xrd/300x

20. Member
    I have a 2012 250 Sport XS for sell. I bought it new in 2012. Has 205 hours, I had it checked out by my dealer Dec 4, 2019, 125 psi on all 6, leak-down test was great, never has thrown any codes. Sportmaster lower with 1:62's. It's an awesome motor. I currently have it on my 20XDC. I tournament fish and carry a heavy load most of the time, 36v troll, two 10' power poles, still runs upper 80's. I had a 280 before I bought the 250 Sport. The 280 was a beast but this 250 Sport holds it's own for sure. I'm asking $10,500 for my 250 Sport.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12