Vexus 1980 vs Triton 189 TRX, Nitro Z18 etc ?

Hello. Let me say I have never owned a boat. Fished from plenty as a co-angler. I am very interested in purchasing a boat soon. Hopefully before my 7th grader enters high school so he can fish on his HS team. I have been researching the boats above as well as a Phoenix 618.

I figure all 3 will be close to the same price. The Nitro might be a tad cheaper.

Has anyone else made a similar choice? Wondering what would set the Vexus apart? I have followed the Vexus owners FB group. All have great things to say and very few issues. And most issues seem to be resolved by the factory.

Thanks for any and all input.

2. Member
    It is of my opinion that the Vexus boats are the finest on the market right now and you could not go wrong buying one.

3. Member
    I would look at at Ranger Z185 too. But I was looking at the same boats but 1 size smaller (1880, 179TRX, Z175). In the end I decided on the Vexus. It's a tough decsion, I know. Unfortunately, if you haven't ridden in them all , all you can't compare anything but fit, finish, and value and go with your gut. There were things in the Ranger and Triton I didn't like as much as the vexus. This wouldn't hold true for your models or for you. Good Luck with your new rig whichever you decide.

The Z185 is a great package. Its a very well laid out rig and it is WIDE! As far as the Vexus, it's an excellent rig as well and it is a blast to drive. I don't think its as wide as the fiberglass models you're looking at but it is a very stable platform and would work very well for you. I think it comes down to what you want, fiberglass or aluminum and what one fits the bill better. Look at each one, crawl through them and see if you can get a test ride before you decide.
    Joe Galada - Tamaqua, PA
    2004 Ranger 521VX - Yamaha 250 SHO

5. Member
    The best value IMO, is the 1880. I looked for over a year at every boat 40k and under, and ended up with the 1880, and I could not have made a better choice. You can fish 3 big guys on this boat with no issues, I have had it in some rough water with no issues, it's just the ultimate package for the money. What ever you choose, good luck on your new ride.

6. Member
    I had an z185 Ranger and it was a fine boat. However, I had plenty of fit and finish problems with it in the 18 months I owned it. I traded it on a AVX2080 and IMHO, there is no comparison in the fit and finish or the ride quality. The Vexus outperforms it in every aspect. My 2080 rides better than most glass boats I've been in, it truly is amazing!
    VC Marine
    Cashion Rods
    Lew's
    Vexus Boats

2022 Vexus VX21, 250 ProXS

7. Charlie Don't Surf! King_Fish's Avatar
    If you want glass go with the Triton and a 200HP. That is a nice and fast package.
    If you want tin go with a Ranger RT198p and a 150HP, stable, fast and fishes as good as anything out there w/ the TM down.

If you plan to fish a lot of big water with wind and bigger waves, wakes a glass boat is probably your huckleberry for smoother ride, a bit less wind susceptibility and a drier ride.

With most tins, the Achilles heel is that you WILL get wet in big waves and wind.

All that said, I love my Tin and for all it's advantages would not go back to glass.

BTW - Vexus, Ranger, Triton, Nitro they are all solid choices. Find a good, reputable dealership with a good technical staff and stay within your budget.

Good Luck
    Last edited by King_Fish; 11-13-2019 at 08:17 PM.
    2018 Ranger RT198p
    Charcoal Metallic
    Etec 150HP G2 HO
    24p Raker Stainless prop
    82# MotorGuide Tour Pro TM
    Fishes as good as anything out there, with the TM down...

8. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by King_Fish View Post
    If you want glass go with the Triton and a 200HP. That is a nice and fast package.
    If you want tin go with a Ranger RT198p and a 150HP, stable, fast and fishes as good as anything out there w/ the TM down.

If you plan to fish a lot of big water with wind and bigger waves, wakes a glass boat is probably your huckleberry for smoother ride, a bit less wind susceptibility and a drier ride.

With most tins, the Achilles heel is that you WILL get wet in big waves and wind.

All that said, I love my Tin and for all it's advantages would not go back to glass.

BTW - Vexus, Ranger, Triton, Nitro they are all solid choices. Find a good, reputable dealership with a good technical staff and stay within your budget.

Good Luck
    The Ranger wasn't one of his options....

9. Member
    I was in the same boat as you a few months ago, getting ready to purchase my first boat. I was pretty set on a 1980, visited the dealer numerous times, took one out for a test, and spoke to as many owners as possible. I ended up going with a used Skeeter that's still under warranty. When I was pricing out the 1980 to order, I was planning on ordering bare bones to save as much dough as possible, and rigging it myself as time and cash allowed. When I found my Skeeter, it already had dual 10" graphs, power pole, yamaha 200 sho, padded deck, keel guard, tandem axle, etc. Decked out vs the bare bones vexus I would have ordered. All in all I got more boat for less cash, and still under warranty which is probably the biggest perk of buying new/newish. Just something to think about.

All boat manufacturers have fit and finish issues. It's the unfortunate truth. Just going over the boats at the dealership, I could see small things here and there that would bug the #@$& out of me if I was paying new prices. Another perk of going used, is the previous owner has already dealt with those issues and any warranty work.

As far as ride and fish-ability, the vexus is great at both of those, but I'm glad I went with a glass rig. The ride, stability, and power is just better in the glass rig. If you plan on doing tournaments, remember you don't get to pick the day you go fish. If the weather is crappy, you don't get to stay home and wait till tomorrow to fish. So if the lakes you're fishing get rough, I'd lean towards a bigger glass boat.

Also, as your first boat, you WILL have that off moment and screw up and hit something. Scratching a used boat is a lot less painless than scratching up a brand new one!

189trx was one of the one's I was looking at as well. I think you would be very happy with one. I missed out on one last year but I wasn't ready to buy then.
    2014 Skeeter ZX200 - 200 SHO

10. Charlie Don't Surf! King_Fish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by grandbassslayer View Post
    The Ranger wasn't one of his options....
    it is now, Son.....
    2018 Ranger RT198p
    Charcoal Metallic
    Etec 150HP G2 HO
    24p Raker Stainless prop

11. Banned
    it is now, Son.....
    lol I'll wave as I pass you in my rivet boat.

Crawling around all over alot of triton boats before placing my order I will say the fit and finish of them is outstanding. Looked over a 189trx at the dealer several times and loved it. Ordered an 18trx (same size more hp). The 189 and nitro z18 are also 175 hp rated so depending on pricing you could end up with some more hp. The vexus boats are nice but the 1980 is a big boat for 150 hp imo. Depends if performance is important to you. Myself personally i would not pay that type of pricing for a tin boat regardless of brand.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Dual Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA SI
    Minnkota Ultrex.

13. Charlie Don't Surf! King_Fish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by grandbassslayer View Post
    lol I'll wave as I pass you in my rivet boat.
    10-4...

Hey, there is not a thing wrong with rivet boats either, I have a 16' Smokercraft for our limited HP lakes and it has taken a beating at times over the last 16 years, still solid as a rock, and doesn't leak a drop! I would buy another Smoker at the drop of a hat.
    2018 Ranger RT198p
    Charcoal Metallic
    Etec 150HP G2 HO
    24p Raker Stainless prop

14. Member
    I checked out the Vexus avx 1980 and 1880. I plan on owning one of them next year just haven’t made up my mind which one, good fit and finish, different motors of your choice. Aluminum boats have come a long ways over the years and you don’t have to worry about fiberglass hull blisters. Just my opinion.

15. Banned
    10-4...

Hey, there is not a thing wrong with rivet boats either, I have a 16' Smokercraft for our limited HP lakes and it has taken a beating at times over the last 16 years, still solid as a rock, and doesn't leak a drop! I would buy another Smoker at the drop of a hat.
    I am just busting your chops, I like those 198p boats, sweet boat!

16. Member
    Since Ranger and Triton are twins I can tell you that going from my RT178 to RT188 and now Vexus AVX 1980 the fit and finish is superior to my last Ranger and the ride is night and day better in the Vexus. Like others have mentioned, all manufacturers have minor issues kind of like buying a new house and having the builder punch list to identify where they need to fix/touch up. I would say my RT178 when it was built was perhaps the best quality with nearly zero defects. Ranger quality issues crept in on my RT188 in both fit and finish and paint defects. The Vexus isn't perfect but when I shopped it and reviewed the RT190P there was no question, the Vexus was the better choice in that department. I must say, I am quite impressed with my Evinrude ETEC G2 engine. Most would think it is a 4-stroke given how smooth and quiet it is idling or even slow speed trolling. You know it's a 2-stroke when you throttle it out of the holeshot.

17. Member
    Day's Boat Sales is close by - I am sure they would take you out in a Vexus AVX1980

18. Member
    My vote goes towards the Vexus hands down!! .... but then again I'm little biased ... ;)
    2019 Vexus 1880 w/ Mercury Pro-XS 115 4-stroke, MK 80lb Fortex, Twin Helix 7 Birds, Pro II PowerPole. AEguideservice.com