Mixing Pennzoil xlf with Merc dfi oil

Buddy just bought a 225 optimax that has 300 hours. The original owner ran nothing but Pennzoil xlf and loved it. I've been reading for hours on pros and cons of Marine 2 stroke oil for dfi and everyone has a different answer. I don't want to start another war but should he keep using Pennzoil or swith to dfi oil? If one makes the change can they be mixed or should the oil tank be drained? Thanks T

2. Member
    Drain BOTH oil tanks and run the DFI.

3. Member
    Keep running the XLF.
    96 Viper Coral202 225 Opti serial#1B011431

4. Member
    Why on earth would you want to change to DFI? It has ran perfectly fine for 300 hrs on Pennzoil XLF.
    04 521VX 250 Pro XS
    14 521C 250 Pro XS

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    If you are going to change to the Recommended Oil, I would definitely drain the remote tank and clean it out, as well as the engine-mounted tank.

Don't really have sufficient data on the compatibility of those two oils (your only other option is to perform some experimenting with mixtures in a glass jar, but keep in mind you would do that at your own discretion).

In either case, I would clean out the remote (boat) tank if switching.

Ricky Windsor (bass.man65)... He would change to start running the recommend oil, since it's his engine now. And he probably wants to do everything he can to prolong the life of the engine AND the Direct (air) Injectors.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor