Thread: C-Map Questions

Question C-Map Questions

I currently have a C-Map Genesis account subscription and I use it to create maps from my sonar logs. I live in Tennessee and fish several different lakes within the state.

The questions I have are listed below:
    1) Are C-Map Precision Contour Map cards able to be updated, like the Navionics map cards?
    2) If I purchase the Tennessee C-Map Precision Contour Map card, will I be able to update this map card without paying a separate annual subscription fee?
    3) Are the maps on a C-Map Precision Contour Map card more detailed than the composition and contour maps I am currently creating using my sonar logs?

2. Wacky Riggers / BBC SPONSOR rbarrow's Avatar
    Let's see if I can help...based on the last info I have received from C-Map...

1> Updated - maybe ....but not yet! At this point, the Precision HD cards are the "first pass" of the "key" tournament lakes in a state. There will be more to come down the road but for the time being the card is what it is...extremely accurate but future updates will require "boats on the water". I am not expecting this to happen in the next few years....just too many states to survey and not enough resources!

2> As above...not much to update in the foreseeable future...unless Navico/C-Map contracts with other resources to do the scanning...which is possible...but unknown at this time.

3> Yes X 10.... you do not have access to the resources the survey team enjoys...so the PC HD card is going to be better than anything you can produce on your own.

Roy
    Wacky Riggers

3. Member
    Thanks for the response!

4. Member
    I notice there are some Tennessee lakes that are currently not included on the C-Map Precision Contour map for Tennessee lakes. One Lake that I fish that's not on the current C-Map card is Tims Ford Lake. I'm wondering if the other Tennessee lakes not included on the current card will eventually be included on the card, and if so, would that require a different card. Any idea, or thoughts on this? If the current card cannot be updated, it seems like the card might have been rushed for release before all lakes had been surveyed and included on the card.

Quote Originally Posted by rbarrow View Post
    Let's see if I can help...based on the last info I have received from C-Map...

1> Updated - maybe ....but not yet! At this point, the Precision HD cards are the "first pass" of the "key" tournament lakes in a state. There will be more to come down the road but for the time being the card is what it is...extremely accurate but future updates will require "boats on the water". I am not expecting this to happen in the next few years....just too many states to survey and not enough resources!

2> As above...not much to update in the foreseeable future...unless Navico/C-Map contracts with other resources to do the scanning...which is possible...but unknown at this time.

3> Yes X 10.... you do not have access to the resources the survey team enjoys...so the PC HD card is going to be better than anything you can produce on your own.

Roy
    Wacky Riggers

5. Wacky Riggers / BBC SPONSOR rbarrow's Avatar
    Just to be clear...not all lakes will EVER be surveyed at the HD level. The goal of the C-Map Precision HD is similar to that of Lakemaster - high def scans of the most popular tournament lakes in a given state....the remaining lakes will have basically the same level of accuracy as a Navionics card (generated from topo maps and other crowd sourced info).

There are over 500,000 lake acres in TN alone and when you consider the cost per acre to acquire that information using boats on the water and then figure how many cards you have to sell JUST TO BREAK EVEN, you can start to understand the economics of the situation. There is no way you can recoup the investment if you attempted to do all of that water.

The best way to get something more accurate is to use Genesis Social Maps....while not as accurate as an HD card, it is still usually much more accurate than the Navionics card.

Here is the link to Tims Ford on Genesis:

https://www.genesismaps.com/Dashboar...ex?mwID=972785

You can upload your own SONAR logs to keep improving the social map...and best of all, it is FREE...

That being said, never say never...and if the demand is great enough or you can get MLF to hold an event there...then it will probably get scanned!

Roy
    Wacky Riggers

6. Wacky Riggers / BBC SPONSOR rbarrow's Avatar
    Just again to add....

Tims Ford IS on the TN C-Map card... and has the 1' contours....every bit as accurate as Navionics...just not an HD scanned lake.

7. Member
    I am currently using the social maps and I also use the maps that I am creating using my sonar logs with the help of my C-Map Genesis account, along with my Navionics map card. I understand the points you mentioned. Very doubtful there will ever be a tournament the level of MLF or BASS on Tims Ford! After all, many of the local anglers along with myself, often refer to it as "The Dead Sea"! I wonder how a person gets a job surveying lakes for these companies? I would definitely be interested and I think I would actually enjoy being able to do something like that! Thanks again for your help!

Just to be clear...not all lakes will EVER be surveyed at the HD level. The goal of the C-Map Precision HD is similar to that of Lakemaster - high def scans of the most popular tournament lakes in a given state....the remaining lakes will have basically the same level of accuracy as a Navionics card (generated from topo maps and other crowd sourced info).

There are over 500,000 lake acres in TN alone and when you consider the cost per acre to acquire that information using boats on the water and then figure how many cards you have to sell JUST TO BREAK EVEN, you can start to understand the economics of the situation. There is no way you can recoup the investment if you attempted to do all of that water.

The best way to get something more accurate is to use Genesis Social Maps....while not as accurate as an HD card, it is still usually much more accurate than the Navionics card.

Here is the link to Tims Ford on Genesis:

https://www.genesismaps.com/Dashboar...ex?mwID=972785

You can upload your own SONAR logs to keep improving the social map...and best of all, it is FREE...

That being said, never say never...and if the demand is great enough or you can get MLF to hold an event there...then it will probably get scanned!

Roy
    Wacky Riggers

8. Member
    Ok. I could not find it listed as being one of the lakes on the card, but I may not have looked at it correctly. Thanks again!

Just again to add....

Tims Ford IS on the TN C-Map card... and has the 1' contours....every bit as accurate as Navionics...just not an HD scanned lake.

9. Wacky Riggers / BBC SPONSOR rbarrow's Avatar
    The list on the card box is only for the HD lakes....and, while I have not looked over the TN card that much, I do know the NC card box is missing a lake or two that are in HD...just an oversight.

10. Member
    Thanks again for your responses. You've been very helpful!

The list on the card box is only for the HD lakes....and, while I have not looked over the TN card that much, I do know the NC card box is missing a lake or two that are in HD...just an oversight.

To piggy back on this thread cause I know nothing about cmaps, I've had navionics forever, which cmaps should I run with my new Carbon units for Alabama, mainly north Bama with a few trips mixed in...
    MattandAmber Lawler on Facebook
    Matt Lawler HF on Facebook
    matt_lawler_hf on Instagram

"There ain't a price on stupid. Stupid comes for free."

Jonathan Hillstrand

12. Wacky Riggers / BBC SPONSOR rbarrow's Avatar
    There is a Precision HD card for AL. I know there are several c-map cards listed covering various areas but the ONLY C-Map cards to consider are the Precision HD versions.

These are sold by state (not region) and there are currently only 3 available- AL, TN, & NC. SC will be out in Jan/Feb and then they move on to scan GA.

Thanks
    MattandAmber Lawler on Facebook
    Matt Lawler HF on Facebook
    matt_lawler_hf on Instagram

"There ain't a price on stupid. Stupid comes for free."

Jonathan Hillstrand

14. Member
    Can anyone tell me how to get in contact with someone from cmaps? Left email, called twice, on hold over 4 hours, left call back number no reply. Never had this terrible service before. Please advise.

15. Wacky Riggers / BBC SPONSOR rbarrow's Avatar
    Maybe I can help....

Just give me a call or PM me...

Roy
    Wacky Riggers
    Sales and Service
    Power Pole - Lowrance - Garmin - DD26
    Regional Warranty Service for Lowrance Ghost, Garmin Force, & Power Pole

Phone: 704-762-9066 --- Text: 704-433-1373 --- roy@wackyriggers.com